Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HQ 113" LIVES (kinda) with pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 08:16 PM
asuperheat
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 08 winter project

I got a chance to run mine like it was ment to run yesterday going to and from daytona for the day. Coming back up s.r.100 we were passing cars I let the 2 guys in front of me get around the cars to give me some room, droped down to 4th took it to 6000 rpm shifted to 5th run it up to about 5000 rpm and decided that was enough. This thing is crazy fastsure hope you have a big pair cause these thingsare not for the faint of heart! Good luck with the build. keep us in theloop.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:16 PM
rick180
Cruiser

I recognize those boxes. Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Now is the time that you will really start to get impatient, waiting for the cases to come back[:@].

But it is worth the wait! I just never get over the quality of the workmanship from HQ!

Old 03-04-2008, 09:12 PM
hardav23
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is good to hear Chris, I am a power freak so I think it will be a good fit!! Guy, as for getting impatient, I'm already there but it will be so worth the wait and I don't think you will be able to wipe the **** eating grin off my face for a long time once this thing is back together![sm=roll.gif][sm=roll.gif]

Old 04-07-2008, 03:00 PM
hardav23
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HQ 113" LIVES (kinda) with pics

Got bottom end back from Darkhorse with the new flywheels and rods custom built, they do nice work!!!

SE Billet Cam Plate, really nice piece!!

HQ 113" pistons.

Installed heads with TP Pro Vent Rocker Boxes, had problems with one of the heads and had to put a time-sert in one of the threads.

Got the motor back in the bike finally.

Figured that I might as well put a chrome inner primary on while it was apart anyway. Also put the two switches for the Platinum air ride in the horn cover for easy access while riding.

Platinum air ride installed. Instructions are garbage but what a great product!!!

Got the inner fairing painted to match and installed 16" apes while waiting for the bottom end to come back.

Put a 21" Forge Tech Creations 5 on front and a matching 18" on the back, pictures don't do these wheels justice, they are SWEET!!!

Finally got everything done, and am really pleased with how everthing went and looks.

Also added the Street Glide rear fender facia with filler strips and tri-bar led lights along with Kuryakyn Led front and rear turns and tail light (all smoked).

The reason I say it kinda lives, is that it fired up no problem but when I went to put it in gear the clutch made some awful noise. Turns out that the Drag Specialties catalog has a mistake and the clutch I got is not for 1998 to present but for 1998 to 2006. Now I am waiting for the right Primo Pro clutch, then I will be able to test ride it and will have an even bigger grin on my face than I do now. Overall this build went fairly smooth, a will mention that you should always try to use the stock cable when using the SERT, I ran into 3/4 of a day of grief because of a bad cable. I would like to give a huge thanks to Phil, Guy, John, Doug & Joanne, Kevin, Bart and Sara. I would have never been able to get it finished without all of you and if you guys are ever passing through you will always have a place to stay. Anybody thinking of using HeadQuarters, Darkhorse and Cateye Customs, I strongly recommend them and there service is some of the best I have seen not to mention the quality of their products.

Will post some better pictures when I get her all cleaned up and it is in the sunlight.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:15 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: HQ 113" LIVES (kinda) with pics

You are very welcome Darren!

It seems like yesterday when we first talked about the build.... I knew during that conversation that you would have no problem getting it done and done right! Kudos to YOU for "going for it" and getting it all done.... AND for keeping an excellent attitude when the typical speedbumps popped up.

I know it's a GREAT feeling when it fire up on the 1st touch of the starter button, but that's nothing compared to the first time you roll out and twist that throttle!

Congrats on a job VERY well done!

btw - that painted inner fairing looks sweet too!

Old 04-07-2008, 03:17 PM
asuperheat
Road Master

Now I know it's killing you to get on that bike and ride. Only a clutch holding you back, Congrats you will be pleased and the bike looks great. My wheels will be here tonight when I get home so I have a little wrenching to do when I get home myself. Hope it runs as good as it looks!

Old 04-07-2008, 03:59 PM
rock92
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

great post, with super pic coverage...great job and the bike looks (and i'm sure runs) awesome. i am inspired

Old 04-07-2008, 05:21 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Darren, your bike looks f'ing FANTASTIC!!!! And should run even better.

THANKS for the pics and narrative on the project.

Hope the wife is okay with everything--I mean, not every wife would understand an ape hanger installation involving a new motor, set of wheels, Platinum Air Ride, etc. and etc.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:50 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

this is nice -- my next bike will be a RG -- with HQs 113 or 120 -- you should be very proud of yourself and your bike. Rims and inner fairing are fantastic.

And you are correct these dudes (and lady) Phil, Guy, John, Carl, Doug & Joanne, Kevin, Bartare always behind the scene willing to help

ORIGINAL: hardav23

Got bottom end back from Darkhorse with the new flywheels and rods custom built, they do nice work!!!

SE Billet Cam Plate, really nice piece!!

HQ 113" pistons.

Installed heads with TP Pro Vent Rocker Boxes, had problems with one of the heads and had to put a time-sert in one of the threads.

Got the motor back in the bike finally.

Figured that I might as well put a chrome inner primary on while it was apart anyway. Also put the two switches for the Platinum air ride in the horn cover for easy access while riding.

Platinum air ride installed. Instructions are garbage but what a great product!!!

Got the inner fairing painted to match and installed 16" apes while waiting for the bottom end to come back.

Put a 21" Forge Tech Creations 5 on front and a matching 18" on the back, pictures don't do these wheels justice, they are SWEET!!!

Finally got everything done, and am really pleased with how everthing went and looks.

Also added the Street Glide rear fender facia with filler strips and tri-bar led lights along with Kuryakyn Led front and rear turns and tail light (all smoked).

The reason I say it kinda lives, is that it fired up no problem but when I went to put it in gear the clutch made some awful noise. Turns out that the Drag Specialties catalog has a mistake and the clutch I got is not for 1998 to present but for 1998 to 2006. Now I am waiting for the right Primo Pro clutch, then I will be able to test ride it and will have an even bigger grin on my face than I do now. Overall this build went fairly smooth, a will mention that you should always try to use the stock cable when using the SERT, I ran into 3/4 of a day of grief because of a bad cable. I would like to give a huge thanks to Phil, Guy, John, Doug & Joanne, Kevin, Bart and Sara. I would have never been able to get it finished without all of you and if you guys are ever passing through you will always have a place to stay. Anybody thinking of using HeadQuarters, Darkhorse and Cateye Customs, I strongly recommend them and there service is some of the best I have seen not to mention the quality of their products.

Will post some better pictures when I get her all cleaned up and it is in the sunlight.

Quick Reply: HQ 113" LIVES (kinda) with pics