Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

8 vs. 25 degree injectors question

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 07:23 PM
avcaruso
Road Captain
Received 1,315 Likes on 176 Posts
Default 8 vs. 25 degree injectors question

First of all, I apologize as I know there has been much discussion on this subject in the past, but I have done a search and really have not found the answer to my question, which is the following -

I have an early model 2006 Electra Glide Classic with 8 degree injectors. I have recently installed a D&D FatCat 2 Into 1, and am planning on bringing it in to be dyno tuned next week.

Dilema - Bilke is a little over 1 month out of warranty, (bought on 12/27/2005) and my local dealer says he can't cover the injector swap out. Quote is $95 per injector and 1 hour of service ($48).

So, do I foot the $238 bill then dyno, or do I keep the 8 degree injectors? Will I see a difference?

Bike has a SE Air Cleaner, stock ECU, and a PCIII.

Thoughts???????

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-01-2008, 07:51 PM
outlaw0013
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 8 vs. 25 degree injectors question

I don't think it matters that the warranty has expired . I got started on this forum because of the same problem on my 06 SG. Search for info on Service bulletin M1185. It says to keep customers happy that this change should be done.
I noticed a big difference with the 25 degree injectors when I had it done.
Print up a copy of it and take it with you like I did. If they give you a hard time stick it in their face like I did. That way they know they can't BS you !
I checked and it only says for the dealer to fill out a separate warranty form when doing the change.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:23 PM
risgdude
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was out of warranty by a month and i got injectors and the download, the dealer covered it under some safety thing do to the hesitation and surging at part throtle. This was a common problem with the 8s.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:32 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer is probably full of BS as often happens with a lot of dealers. It should be covered because it definitely can be a safety issue. It cured all my problems and I had it done within 2 weeks of the bulletin in Feb. of '06.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:44 PM
aclass
Road Captain

My dealer didnt want to do it even while I was under warrantywithout trying "other options" first, such as a dyno tune. I expressed my displeasure and especially b/c I just about dropped the bike during a hiccup taking off from a stop light. I could have been a butt hole about it I guess but it was obvious they didnt want to help me so the heck with it. I'm not good at being a butthole anyway.

It's not too bad and I just ordered my 26G gear drive cams this morning so hopefully the new cams and different map will make a difference.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:45 PM
1of2
"Moderator"
Received 951 Likes on 341 Posts

I have just a little hesitation off idle. I have been wondering if I should have this done. is there any disadvantage to it?
Hopefully it wouldnt be too hard to get them to do it under warrenty.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:47 PM
avcaruso
Road Captain
Received 1,315 Likes on 176 Posts

Why is it that these dealers just can't subscribe to the world of true men. Everyone you meet is your brother in this riders world except for these dealers. As I left the dealer my first thought was ok, get the injectors at surdyke.com or something similiar for a discount, and install them myself and be done with it, and then have a good INDY here do the dyno. I am sure I can put these injectors in as I am a pretty good wrench.

These service folksjust aren't the lets have a beer [sm=icon_cheers.gif], and a smoke [sm=pimp.gif], and a laugh type are they? Whats up with that, just a bunch of dicks if you ask me. My brothers would help me in an instant when needed, why do I have to fight an HD dealer for what they know they should do? ****, I am a month out of warranty and this is a safety issue. Reminds of those punks you like to put a good a** kicken to when you were 20, or maybe 25, or maybe 30, or maybe now! Ok, just a little rant to get it out.

But you know what, I am taking this f***ing bulletin with me and getting this work done free!

Man, now I feel better!

Thanks for the words of wisdom guys.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:55 PM
aclass
Road Captain

Good luck bro, I dont understand it either, I'm thinking my dealer is just not very good when it comes to that for some reason, sad thing is, I've spent alot of money there and they all know me quite well.
Even had to go through right much pain to get the factory radio replaced (which never worked from DAY 1) and then 2 months later I got a call saying that the MOCO wasnt willing to cover under warranty b/c it looked like someone tried to pry the CD out with a coat hanger. Which I certainly didnt do, I figure it was the tech during one of the 3 visits prior to having the radio replaced.

Needless to say, I go elsewhere when I want to spend some money now.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:07 PM
colaSG
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Take a copy of the Service Bulletin & ask the service writer to sign it that he refused to change them under warranty. Tell him your lawyer wants a copy. Then takeyour biketo the next dealer down the road.
Mike

ORIGINAL: avcaruso

Why is it that these dealers just can't subscribe to the world of true men. Everyone you meet is your brother in this riders world except for these dealers. As I left the dealer my first thought was ok, get the injectors at surdyke.com or something similiar for a discount, and install them myself and be done with it, and then have a good INDY here do the dyno. I am sure I can put these injectors in as I am a pretty good wrench.

These service folksjust aren't the lets have a beer [sm=icon_cheers.gif], and a smoke [sm=pimp.gif], and a laugh type are they? Whats up with that, just a bunch of dicks if you ask me. My brothers would help me in an instant when needed, why do I have to fight an HD dealer for what they know they should do? ****, I am a month out of warranty and this is a safety issue. Reminds of those punks you like to put a good a** kicken to when you were 20, or maybe 25, or maybe 30, or maybe now! Ok, just a little rant to get it out.

But you know what, I am taking this f***ing bulletin with me and getting this work done free!

Man, now I feel better!

Thanks for the words of wisdom guys.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:47 PM
redhwk44
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if this will work but here is a copy of the bulletin.
M-1185 1 of 2
M-1185 February 20, 2006
FUEL INJECTOR/CALIBRATION CHANGES FOR 2006 1450cc
BIG TWINS
Purpose
It has recently been determined that the 8
°
angle cone spray
fuel injectors used on 2006 1450cc Big Twins may cause cold
start and/or driveability problems on some motorcycles.
In the interest of promoting customer satisfaction, the 25
°
angle cone spray fuel injectors used on CVO 103 cu. in.
(1690cc) motors will be installed on all production Big Twins
beginning on or around February 13, 2006.
Additionally, Harley-Davidson will provide for the installation
of 25
°
angle cone spray fuel injectors on those motorcycles
where use of the 8
°
fuel injectors (part number 27625-06) is
determined to be directly responsible for cold start and/or
driveability problems. See REQUIRED DEALER ACTION.
NOTE
Due to changes in the manufacturing process, the part number
of the 25
°
angle cone spray fuel injector is changing from
27709-06 to 27709-06A. This fuel injector also will be
stamped with the words “25 DEG” for easy identification. See
Figure 1.
Motorcycles Affected
Only 2006 1450cc Big Twin model motorcycles that exhibit
cold start and/or driveability problems directly related to use
of 8
°
angle cone spray fuel injectors (including those subsequently
equipped with P&A Screamin’ Eagle 1450cc or
1550cc Performance Kits).
Required Dealer Action
1. Adhere to the flow chart in Figure 2 when handling customer
complaints regarding cold start and/or driveability
problems on affected motorcycles.
2. If the flow chart indicates that the fuel injectors are the
source of the problem, check the part numbers stamped
on the fuel injectors. While standing on the left side of
the motorcycle, the part number on the rear fuel injector
can be easily read with the aid of a flashlight.
3. If required, remove both 8
°
angle cone spray fuel injectors
following the procedure in the applicable 2006 Service
Manual. Install 25
°
fuel injectors, either part number
27709-06 or 27709-06A.
Figure 1. Fuel Injector Part Numbers
f2447x8x
[b][left]Old Style 8[f

Quick Reply: 8 vs. 25 degree injectors question