Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has put new bars on 08 models with throttle by wire?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 11:44 AM
Rick06
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has put new bars on 08 models with throttle by wire?

Dealer tells me that the inner diameter of the bar needs to be larger for the connector to fit. They claim that there isn't any bar manufactures currently doing this.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Who has put new bars on 08 models with throttle by wire?

That has to be B.S. The stock HD bars are still only 1" diameter. There are plenty of 1 1/4 bars out there that have to have an ID larger than the stock 1" bars. Several members on the forum have already done a change over.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:40 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 03-05-2008, 02:19 PM
marthared
Cruiser

Here's what I wrote on another thread:

Welcome from Lakewood, Washington! I bought a new 08 Road King (FLHR) in Nov., and really like it. I got the ABS brakes. I can't answer your question about the heat issue, as it's been cold here and I haven't been stuck in traffic much. Probably get more heat issue answers when summer comes.
Be aware, that if you want to change the handlebars for longer ones, you'll run into a big hassel due to the electronic throttle change. My dealer isn't doing them yet, and sent me to the next closest one who has techs that are skilled with metal working. They have to cut notches in the ends of the bars, and extend the electronic wires. Harley hasn't come out with the wires and/or bars yet (neither has aftermarket, and many co.s may never (Flanders Handlebars)). The ABS line is also a pain, and they had to order a cable from a local hydaulic cable manufacturer. Mine's all set up now, and running fine, but it took weeks to get it there.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:04 PM
jcbpa
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I just went to the SE RK Bars they are wider and higher and I really like them. If you want Hangers... I think the answer above is better than mine.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Doug
Cruiser

There is lots of wire under the tank to put 16" bar's.
All the wire is there.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:18 PM
baggerman
Cruiser

I calledWild1's directly yesterday as I want to put a set of WO575's on my 08 SG. WO have been cutting the FWB slot in the 575'ssince December.The engineer cautioned me that some parts houses sell pre-december wo575's from existing inventory that are not the latest configuration with FBW slot.

He recommended that I buy my wo575's directly from them to assureI get the 2008 FBW configuration.

FYI

Old 03-05-2008, 08:29 PM
mhud
Road Captain

My dealer added 08 Heritage bars to my new RG, it was a pain in the *** to fit everything in the new bars, they had to solder wires together and it was an all day affair. I learned later from this forum that HD makes Heritage Bars with fly by wire for the Police Bikes. So the lesson is, even if they are 1" bars and you notch the end that doesn't mean it's the right bar. Good luck!

[IMG]local://upfiles/43876/5EA452B2F0DA41E7A3FEEC57DE936CE8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-09-2008, 08:01 PM
UpOn2
Intermediate

I've got 16" Burly Bars on my 08 Road Glide with ABS. There was enough wire in the loom, no extension needed. Had to spend considerable time enlarging holes for all the wires to be internal (radio/ccruise control/etc) and notches in the end for the Fly by wire throttle. Bigger issue was solving the longer brake line needed for ABS. We cane up with two solutions, I reworked the stock brakelines but dealer had already gone with braided all the way. Going to try the brakelines I reworked on future customer. At least one other dealer told me they extended the wires on several, no problem with resistence/FBW. My dealer was ready to extend by soldering until they found out the wires were long enough. There is a procedure you have to go thru after disconnecting the wires so the computer resets the idle. The dealer knew all about this.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:38 PM
Bagginit
Advanced

Installed Chubby's 518's myself on my 08 RKC. Bars had the notch for the ETC. Fit was spot on. A few things I discovered during the install...

1. The ETC required a hole in the stock bar, thus making it weaker. Harley upgraded the previous 2-pc clamp to a 1-pc design so no need to purchase a new clamp on 08's.

2. The connectors are not the same as previous models. Not sure about 07s, but 06 and earlier use a completely different (and in my opinion, easier to disassemble) design. The new design was a royal pain in the *** to take apart, and put together. Dont want to do that again. Very tedious task involving several small, computer tools.

3. The loom for the ETC actually has a loop in it, under the nacelle, which allowed me to not have to solder in extensions. Just had to disassemble the PITA connectors again. Was just the right length for the WO518s.

4. I didnt do anything with the ETC "readjustment" after disconnecting it. I dont see how this is necessary as the bike should relearn the idle position, but maybe Harley does it differently compared toa typical car ECU. The ETC uses redundant sensors, likely for safety reasons, just like cars. When I tested the bike out after putting everything back together, it ran the same as it did before.

Installing bars was not as easy as I thought. And I am mechanically inclined. Soldering all the wires took me all afternoon. And I am not a hack, I solder like good welders weld.

Quick Reply: Who has put new bars on 08 models with throttle by wire?