Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer Problem! PLEASE READ IF YOU EVER HAD A SPEEDO PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 09:01 PM
jcboof
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Speedometer Problem! PLEASE READ IF YOU EVER HAD A SPEEDO PROBLEM

Hey guys, I'm having a little problem on my scoot right now. And I need some advice, I've been scouring the search pages here on HDF and i still have not come up with enough answers.

The other day I was riding and my speedo stopped working, The odometer was on but not recording miles. And my turn signals would not self-cancel.
Ok your probably gonna say to replace the speed sensor right? I'm planning on getting on tommorow and trying it.
BUT::::: When I come to a stop and let my bike idle, I wants to die, well actually it died about 5 times on the way home for me. It would start right back up again and run fine but as soon as you let off the throttle, it would idle down really low and eventually stop running.

Now. heres the question, I also notice that when I turn the ignition on, Normally the speedoneedle runs through its little thing by sweeping from one side to the other and back, But mine NO LONGER DOES THAT. It just kinda wiggles a little bit and stops.
Is that also related to the speed sensor????

I've checked continuity with a DVOM and all the wires have continuity. So I would rule out a broken or loose connection or wire. I have a Service Manual andin the wiring schematics it shows the 3 wire speed sensor as having these wires, RED= 12+, WHITE= signal, Black= Ground.
The red wire after checking it only has 8.64 volts. Is that right???
Maybe I'm chasing ghosts but I just need some good advise.

thanks for the help

The following users liked this post:
Kbolecho1 (05-05-2021)
Old 03-18-2008, 09:29 PM
Getyurmotorunnin
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Speedometer Problem! PLEASE READ IF YOU EVER HAD A SPEEDO PROBLEM

Mine did some of the things your is doing and I replace the sensor and it fixed it but my bike wasnt doing everthing yours is doing. Now I did have a problem where my bike was shutting down when it wanted to but would start right back up, it did it several times at 80mph on the freeway which scares the hell out of ya. After much info on the forum I replaced the 50amp CB cheap fix for me. it fixed it. Good Luck

Old 03-18-2008, 09:33 PM
rmc115
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Look at your wiring diagram, if that circuit is battery voltage, 8 volts will make stuff very erratic.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:04 PM
bvette94
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been having trouble with my turn signal notcanceling too. No problems with the speedo though.I will be watching this too.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:00 PM
jcboof
Tourer

Update:

I went to the HD dealer today and talked to the guy at the parts counter, I described my problem to him and he said that he had the EXACT same thing happen to him last summer on his 02 RK and he fixed it by replacing the speed sensor. Well, i decide to try it, I bought a new speed sensor and installed it.

Now, It still does the EXACT same thing as before! The speed sensor did not fix the problem.

So I'm going to be looking at a speedo now I think!

I'll keep you guys up to date on what i've done and tried.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:17 PM
maddoggie
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello...

My 07' Ultra had the same problem, It was the speed sensor on mine. (not sure about your speedo needle wobble @ startup, I never noticed mine doing that.)
However I have also hear that the neutral switch will do the same thing. I've had 2500 trouble free mile since my problem. Hope this helps!

Maddoggie

Old 03-19-2008, 03:29 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: jcboof

Update:

I went to the HD dealer today and talked to the guy at the parts counter, I described my problem to him and he said that he had the EXACT same thing happen to him last summer on his 02 RK and he fixed it by replacing the speed sensor. Well, i decide to try it, I bought a new speed sensor and installed it.

Now, It still does the EXACT same thing as before! The speed sensor did not fix the problem.

So I'm going to be looking at a speedo now I think!

I'll keep you guys up to date on what i've done and tried.

I know I'll be interested in hearing if you get it fixed. 3 sensors and a speedo later and my 05 Eglide still does the exact same thing you're describing. The dealer is not sure either and wants me to me to leave it with them for a while.

Rick

Old 03-19-2008, 05:55 PM
jcboof
Tourer

OK, I searched a little more and found NOTHING. But, I went and looked at my buddies 03 Fatboy this evening and yanked his speedo out and installed mine in his bike and took it for a spin. My speedo seems to work fine.

But, I did however notice that his speedo doesthe same thing mine does. Hmmmmm??????

I always thought I remembered that when I turned my ignition on that the speedo went through kind of some self check by running from 0 to 120 MPH while the injector system pressurized.
I guess I'm wrong though, His bike does the same thing as mine and his dads 03 RKC does the same thing, So I guess after all that the speedo does not do anything when you turn the ignition on. DUH!!![:'(] Guess thats what happens when you havent ridden your bike in over 3 months!!!! I do remember that my Yamaha RoadStar used to do that and I guess I just had the two mixed up!

So, I decided to button my bike up and take er for a quick spin and WOW, My speedo worked and my turn signals canceled and my bike idled normally!!
I guess I'm a dumbass for looking WAY to far into this but after reading so many different posts about this problem and all the different outcomes I just didnt know which way to turn.
So to sum it up, The speed sensor took care of my problem!

Old 03-19-2008, 06:21 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member

A buddy had speedo problems like that and it was found to be faulty ignition leads and a problem with some extra lights he had added.

YMMV

Good luck

Old 03-20-2008, 02:36 AM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you only have 8+ volts on a 12+ volt lead, you have to back track that wire and find
where that voltage drop is.
Most of you have no idea how these three sensor wires work.
Basically, in this case, you apply 12 v to the sensor. the ECM is looking for a certain
voltage to come back to it on the signal wire.
If you have less than 12 to start with, then the signal voltage won't be right.
The ECM will decipher that as a particular problem. In this case shut down the bike.
Can be lots of reasons the ECM decides shutdown is appropriate.
This bad voltage "could be" I say "could be" affecting the bank angle sensor.
which is located in the turn signal module (you said turn signals aren't working correctly either). ECM may think bike is leaning over too far.
But regardless, first find the cause of the voltage drop and fix it.
Then see how it responds. And let us know.

The following users liked this post:
Kbolecho1 (05-05-2021)

Quick Reply: Speedometer Problem! PLEASE READ IF YOU EVER HAD A SPEEDO PROBLEM