Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrogen in Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:38 PM
MustBBrent
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Nitrogen in Tires

I know I should do a search first... but... Smokey Mountain HD put Nitrogen in my tires when I bought the bike new... 32lbs front and 32 lbs rear according to my local dealership who did the $400 1,000 mile checkup and oil change.

My local Northwest Arkansas dealership has only heard of using Nitrogen, but doesn't know if the PSI is correct and can not put more nitrogen in the tires even if they wanted to...

They did say that they have heard not to add air to nitrogen filled tires.

What is the correct PSI for nitrogen? Is it a 1:1 relationship to air psi? If the dealership uses a regular air gauge, is 32psi enough or correct? This same dealership says that the front should have 35psi and rear should have 40psi for 2 up riding. Does anyone know of a dealership near Bentonville, AR that can put nitrogen into motorscooter tires?

Thank you in advance.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:49 PM
vettedog72
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitrogen in Tires

PSI is PSI. Does not matter what the gas is, PSI is the same for air or other gas. I can't answer the other questions.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:55 PM
MustBBrent
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: vettedog72

PSI is PSI. Does not matter what the gas is, PSI is the same for air or other gas. I can't answer the other questions.
I thought so. The dealership wasn't sure. thanks.

So anyone else? Is the recommended PSI really 35 front and 40 in the rear? that's not what the service manual says. And can/should you add air to nitrogen filled tires?

Old 03-24-2008, 08:56 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IIRC, it's 1:1. It's more stable than air, and therefore doesn't fluctuate in pressure as the tire gets hotter. Havin' said that....in mah mind, it's a "gimmick" deal ta make ya pay a coupla more bucks to "top off" the tires. You can top 'em off with air, no problem.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:56 PM
Sillverback
Tourer

I use Nitrogen in all my tires. Use exactly like air (1:1).
Do not mix air/Nitrogen...it defeats the purpose of the Nitrogen which is to keep moisture (present with air) out. This keeps your tires running cooler and supposedly longer wear life. We'll see about the longer wear life.

I bought my own cylinder and have not had to refill it yet. The cylinder cost $89.00 usd and to fill with Nitrogen costs me about $14.00 usd. Local service station charges $5.00 per tire and can only pump up to about 40 psi max. The main reason I have my own, is because I rebuild my boys shocks (atv/mx) on a very regular basis and need high pressure Nitrogen to refill. Local dealership was charging me $10.00 per shock every visit. That's some BS right there!

[IMG]local://upfiles/29179/63E1DE09762D4520A3BC1393ECE0DAE6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-24-2008, 08:59 PM
SloChicken
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just use ambient air (the stuff all around you) it is 78% Nitrogen anyway.

It is really kind of a stupid idea. It came about because it is more pressure stable when the temperature changes. Cama aboutinF1 racing. It helps keep the pressure ofyourtire incrementally more stable.
Realistically,It is negligable and really about as important or practicalas having a 1 megawatt alternater.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:59 PM
monte64
Cruiser

Nitrogen in tires is the 21 century "mystery oil" "snake oil"for tires. Nitrogen molecules are larger than what you would get out of using compressed air. All tires leak a little air over time, nitrogen being made up of larger molecules a tire will lose less psi. Also nitrogen is not effected by temperature as much as a tire filled with compressed air. A few oil change places around the area here are trying to sellpeople nitrogen for their tires, at a little extra cost. Kinda funny, but they have never asked me if I wanted nitrogen. I'm sure they get a kick out of B.S.ing so old lady on a fixed income out of a few more bucks.

I wouldn't worry about whats in your tires now, just top them off with air. It just won't be pure nitrogen.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:02 PM
Amodump001
Road Warrior

What will they come up with next? That some funny $hit right there, don’t care who you are.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:12 PM
pirateheadman
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: SloChicken

Just use ambient air (the stuff all around you) it is 78% Nitrogen anyway.

Sure is. And I don't think the Nitrogen molecules change size when they're compressed either! I think the selling point is oxidation, but won't the outside of the tires still oxidize since they are exposed to oxygen?

Old 03-24-2008, 09:12 PM
shagnasty
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The NASCAR teams use nitrogen too.

Quick Reply: Nitrogen in Tires