Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Craigslist - Would you use it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 09:14 PM
OD_Cleaver
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Craigslist - Would you use it?

Thanks for all of the advice.

I had no idea that Craigslist was so popular.

OD

Old 04-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had good luck but do not allow test rides they wreck it you got ????

Old 04-08-2008, 09:37 PM
harpoon
Cruiser

I love Craigs list. It is a great opportunity to find item locally that you can actually go and see and no need to deal with shipping costs.
Oh and without craigs list I wouldn't have found my current scoot..

No worries give it a shot

Harpoon

Old 04-10-2008, 07:47 AM
Sheep
Tourer

ORIGINAL: anubisss

I love CL, but you will get a lot of low ballers and tire kickers. I sold my truck there. I would put in the ad no low ballers and they would still show up so be prepared. Also make a point of stating local sale only, cash only scammers beware as I have a gun that I'm not afraid to use. You can't beat it for exposure and its free. I also use the Recycler www.recycler.com and cycle trader
I'm curious. What would be considered a low ball offer. Case in point.

I'm in the market for a used Sportster for my wife. I want rubber mount and FI.So looking for a 2007 Nightster or Roadster.

Nightster. KBB. Trade in is $6k. Retail is $9k. My thinking is I get some benefit from retail from a dealer. If nothing else priority scheduling for service and a good going over the bike before its sold. Probably delusional on my part but whatever.

Guy on Craigs List has one. Bone stock. No extras. Not even Stage I. Asking $9,100. He's also got it listed on Cycletraders for $8,900. Mid point between Trade in and retail is $7,500 which is my normal offer for a used bike. I offered $8,000 since it only has 1k miles.

I can buy a 08 right now from my dealer out the door for about $10k and get a 2-year warranty. The bike seller says there is no remaining warranty on his which I don't understand. There should be at least 3-months left. At 1k miles he couldn't have voided the warranty through service neglect since he hasn't had any.

In 2-months just before the 09s come out I'll bet money I can get a discount on a 08 Sportster from my dealer as he tries and moves the 12+ he has in stock. He's even got 6 Nightsters.

So my question is: Was my offer fair or a low ball?

He didn't take it by the way.His bottom was $8,600. With MB coming up he has an outside chance of selling it. If he doesn't he's screwed as he's into June and the 09s hit in July. My thinking is he bought it under HD's no down paymentplan. 72-months. $150/m the first 2-years and then the payments jump to about $230/m the next 4-years. The payment jump is coming shortly and he probably still owes $8,600.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Moosesultra
Cruiser

I use CL on a daily basis. With just a bit of caution and common sense it is perfectly fine.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:06 PM
Coffee
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost bought an 05 EG through CL, have bought several things but never sold.
I listed a found dog for free and had someone try to send me a cashiers check for it.
The scammers and check frauders abound there'.

Deal only with local buyers, meet in a public place, like a strip mall.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:52 PM
Greyboat
Tourer

I have sold a a Jeep and a cycle on CL.I believe different cities will have a different amount of scammers.I never responded toemails I thought were scams.Take only cash. Do watch out. I heard about a guy who was showing his bike andwas asked for something that was in his house, he went to get it and the dude took off on his bike. Leftthe POS carhe drove up in. It was stolen too.