Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Center Fairing Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 04:25 PM
NODYNA
Road Warrior
Received 864 Likes on 511 Posts

That line about the fiber glass fading through the paint is load of crap. Can you say Corvette? Vets have been build with fiberglass bodies and now plastics since 1955 without any fade through issues.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:17 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Its called printing or print through and its pretty much a thing of the past with the new resins.. The thing that can make it occur is mounting something directly to the inside of the glass with it bonded to the glass but you really dont see it anymore..

Old 05-01-2009, 07:48 PM
cowboy1
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lord Albany
A couple questions on buying a Dead Center fairing for my 08 RKC:

Dragonfly Concepts states that fiberglass fades through the paint on fairings over time. Anyone with the Deadcenter fairing have issues with the fiberglass fading through the paint?I want to get the Deadcenter fairingbecause of the lock,though I like the Dragonfly better, but Dragonfly has me worried about the durability of the fiberglass products.

Are there any mounts available for storing fairings when their are not on the bike?I've seen a wallmount somewherethat holds both a windshield and a luggage rack. Haven't found one for a fairing, though.

All the fairings I've seen seem to extend over the handlebar clamp. Would this be a problem for stock handlebars?

How do the speakers sound compared to the stock HD fairing speakers? Better, same, worse?

I'm 5'11". What size windshield do you guys with the Dead Center fairing recommend that would allow me to look over the windshield and not through it?

Most importantly, do you ever use your windshield again? I'd hate to see a good windshield go to waste.

Thanks.

Ciao,
Albany
The Dead Center is a much better product. I was going to get the Dragon Fly but after comparing them in person and to other bikes, I went with the DC. I rarely take mine off so I don't need to store it however you can make something easy enough...I have the shortie windshield and liked it but recently cut it down to 2" and it looks cooler...as for the stereo, it rocks and now they have an amp option...

I have a friend who also has the quadzilla and it is NOT as well made. Another friend has the Df and like I said, not int he same league. Many HD dealers carry the Dead Centers as does Arlen Ness but I would just order it off the net. Installation is simple. You will need to run a neutral to the battery and power from your key switch and then zip tie the harness inder your nacelle for quick release. A Harley dealer can also match the key if you really need that...you will be getting rid of your windshield as did I and will rarely take off the fairing...

Old 05-06-2009, 01:51 AM
CustomPaint
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lord Albany
A couple questions on buying a Dead Center fairing for my 08 RKC:

Dragonfly Concepts states that fiberglass fades through the paint on fairings over time. Anyone with the Deadcenter fairing have issues with the fiberglass fading through the paint?I want to get the Deadcenter fairingbecause of the lock,though I like the Dragonfly better, but Dragonfly has me worried about the durability of the fiberglass products.
I have painted a lot of fairings and work with fiberglass since 20 years; don't worry about fade, just make sure the proper primer & sealer is applied. Fiberglass can shine through paint, but not primers, unless the painter sands through the primer in some areas, as he is preparing the primer for paint, then you can have fade in those areas. Just hire an experienced painter who gives you at least 2 years written warranty.