Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS Voltage Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 07:47 PM
MyRide7
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GPS Voltage Problem

Hawkeye, Just a reminder that any DC device you put on scoot will probably have this issue 25 Volts of ripple is a lot! You could also try (if under waranty) to have dealer replace the Charge/system/reg but they probably will not as their standard question to you will be "IS your Battery ever dead? Lights work?" They probably will not understand the effects of the ripple.........Good luck. Let me know how it works out................Marty.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:13 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My GPS works just fine!
Course it is an older one.
Doesn'tplug into the bike.Doesn't have a battery either.
Has NEVER let me down either.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:11 PM
wideopen1967
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Double check your GPS voltage requirements. If you are not using the original cord you may be overpowering it. My Garmin has a voltage requirement of 5 volts even thought it plugs into a 12 volt outlet. The original cord has a voltage dropping circuit built into it.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:19 PM
G wizz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: MyRide7

Say, Marty do you remenmber which filter it was you bought from Radio Shack ? I too am now experincing this same problem. Funny though, I didn't have any problem for the first 2000 miles, now the GPS is screwing up on me the same way as his is.
Thanks,
G wizz

Hawkeye,
This may not be the case but , I would suspect (Dirty DC) AC RIPPLE on the DC from your Scooter. If you can check your bike running and not running using a VOLT METER ON AC (LOW SCALE 10v or so) you should not have any AC Voltage present with bike not running and in an idea world not have any with bike running for that matter but you may have. If this AC Voltage with bike running is +-5 VOLTS AC then this is an issue. Most electronics will filter this ac Ripple out and this will not be an issue. But some do not do thisand some can'tdo totheir design of excessive ripple on the DC is to High to do so. (Of course the best way to test this is with and "O" Scope.....but anyway to correct this go to RAdio Shack and buy a Filter (Good one) and this may take care of the issue (Mount Filter under fairing or? then run to CIG plug (Remember that this Filter may not allow you to use the CIG lighter as it may draw to much current.............The reason I know this is that my 06 Ultra had this issue and this solved the problem. If you have any questions let me know............Good Luck.......Marty.