Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Dealer installed chrome package with 2 year warranty
60.29%
Buy parts with 90 day warranty, sell originals on eBay
39.71%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

CAST YOUR VOTE! CHROME FRONT END

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 04:32 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default CAST YOUR VOTE! CHROME FRONT END

Okay, as most of you know I ordered two '06 Ultra's (different colors). After seeing the Dragonfly Green I decided on the Black Cherry. I know I'm surprised too! I really thought it was going to be the green, but seeing it in person made me change my mind. Anyway, this poll is to get your opinion on the chrome front end that I'd like to add to the bike. My first choice was to order the bike stock and purchase the parts myself. Most of the parts I would install, except for taking apart the forks, which I would leave to the dealer. From what I understand the parts have a 90 day warranty. So then I found out if the dealer installs the parts BEFORE I take delivery the warranty is two years along with the rest of the bike. There is already a Black Cherry/Vivid Black Ultra on the floor with a complete chrome front end, chrome floor boards, shift linkage, gear shifters, master cylinder, handlebar control covers, etc, etc. The bike is $27,500 (tax/title/lic included) This bike has everything on it that I'd do to it myself anyway, except that if I buy it I don't get the original parts that came off the bike. The dealer sells those parts on eBay. That is why I ordered my Ultra. The stock bike will cost $24,500 (out the door) and when I upgrade to chrome I could sell the original parts myself on eBay. Here's the question, is it worth it? Do I just take the bike that already has everything on it the way I like it and get a full 2 year warranty on the parts, or do I buy my own parts with a 90 day warranty and sell the originals on eBay? Please share your thoughts and cast your vote.

Old 02-16-2006, 07:54 AM
geno3j
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CAST YOUR VOTE! CHROME FRONT END

Only benifit I see to doing it yourself would be to keep the parts so you could take it back to stock. But seeing as you said you would sell them on e-bay then the answer is obvious, have dealer install them and get the 2 year warrenty. But them again we all voted Black Cherry for your color and you still "thought" about green. Hope this time you will go with the "Poll" usually the masses will be right. Just my .02

Old 02-16-2006, 07:55 AM
geno3j
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-16-2006, 09:13 AM
colt45
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well - as you well know the MSRP on that bike is $20,265 so I'm assuming your paying over MSRP yes / no???

If you are I would find another dealer. As far as the warranty goes why do you need a warranty on chrome parts? I would say at the price your paying what's the difference go with the dealer installed stuff I guess.

Old 02-16-2006, 09:47 AM
Anthony8858
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How mch do you actually expect to get for that stuff on Ebay?

You're buying a new bike for over 20K. At this point, why play with pennies.

Here's a preview for you:

Old 02-16-2006, 11:20 AM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

$3000 extra just for the chrome package? What's the price of just parts alone? What price of them doing just the forks? depending on the difference is depending on what I would do. While your having them do the forks change out the springs to progressive for an extra $100. That is if you decide to do the rest.

Old 02-16-2006, 11:20 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member

Beautiful color isn't it? In the sunshine there really isn't anything else that looks as nice. I love the photo of your bike. BEEEEUTIFUL!

Old 02-16-2006, 11:27 AM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior

Both are sweet colors, I'm just not into the purple look

Old 02-16-2006, 11:37 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member

You had me worried for a sec...I thought okay how the hell did they bump the price from $20k to $27k and I'm paying MSRP for the bike! Well I figured it out. Here's the math... base MSRP $ 20,685 (two-tone) + 275 (security sys) + 100 (EFI) + 320 (freight) + 500 (set-up) = 21,880 (sub-total) + 1,695.70 (friggin sales tax) + 150 (license/registration fees) = 23,725. (total). Then if you add all the chrome + 3274 (parts are nearly 1800/labor) =27,000. My oh my.....that's how a 20,000 motorcycle becomes a 30,000 motorcycle. The thing is I would end up spending the money on the bike anyway, so I don't see that there's a savings except for the things that I'd add myself. I mean they are charging labor for installing the grips, heel/toe shifters, floorboards, etc.... I can do that stuff easily myself, but it would be kind of nice to just enjoy the bike "as is" with everything already done and get the benefit of the 2 year warranty on everything. Your thoughts?

Old 02-16-2006, 11:40 AM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior

Sounds like you already made up your mind. If money is not a problem then go for it. I personally would order the parts and just let them do the forks myself if I couldn't do them.

Quick Reply: CAST YOUR VOTE! CHROME FRONT END