Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has the dealer ever fix your bike the first time around

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 10:49 PM
jahays32
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has the dealer ever fix your bike the first time around

My bike took 4 trys before the CC switch was replaced and solved the issue. Ok it was intermittent which makes it harder to find the problem.

My bros bike, 08 classic was knocking:

1st try was determined that it was bad IDS rubbers, ordered parts and replaced, said it was fixed. Bro gets on bike and it is still a knocking.

Service writer that brought the bike out says he did not hear it knock anymore. So my bro goes for a test drive and then drives it back in to the dealer. Pulls it inside and gives it some gas but holds the brake and asked the 3 service writers (can you hear the knocking now)

They all said yes. LOL

So we start the procedure over this time they say it is the compensator gear, now this is what they checked first to see if it was tight and they said it was and then said the IDS was bad.

Bro went back to get the bike and dealer said the gear was ate up. The bike does not knock anymore.

Now I am no mechanic but when you pull the cover to check the gear that was ate up wouldn't the oil show some metal in it?
Can you not see the gear was ate up if you check the compensator gear for tightness?

My bro put slipons and A/C because he thought it was normal for the HD to knock. Then when he could still hear it, he was going on a rant with me about how HD engines sound like a POS. He did ask his dealer where he bought it from and had the slipons installed and yes they said (it was normal).

I got so tired of hearing him say his HD was a POS I had to go see WTF he was talking about. That is when I took him to my dealer.
It took them 2 trys but they got it.

Oh yea he is happy with his bike now and I have not heard another bad word about it.

Now the only thing that upset me was his bike had just had the 5k service done at my dealer. All dealers say they test drive the bike and check everything out right. Then how the F**k did they not hear it knocking. Makes you wonder if all you are getting for $350.00 is an oil change.

I think a lot of guys working as mechanics at the dealer either need more training or need to be sent packing down the road.

I will still use the same dealer for my work, but if I have problems with them, they will hear it. I had them redo some minor work that they did wrong already. The service manager just shook his head and agreed.

It is like a 7 year marrige, I have a 7 year warranty so they are not getting rid of me until then. f**k finding another dealer that is where I bought the bike and if there are issues then they will have to work them out. Yes I can be a a very professional PITA when I want to be. I will just have to let them take as many tries as it takes to fix any future problems.

So far that is all the problems I have had which is nothing in my book, but I am sure our relationship will continue to grow for better or worse.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:40 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Has the dealer ever fix your bike the first time around

in a word, NO

Old 04-30-2008, 06:15 AM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My dealer in Salt Lake always resolved the issues the frist time around. Except they couldn't tune a radio! I don't think there is a dealer that can properly tune a SERT. But otherwise they are tops!. Not the same here in FL. Palm Bay delaer took 9 days to change a drive belt and perform 40K service. Chagred me $1,100 .Claimed they couldn't tighten radar mount (so I did that myself). One week later I had to change my rear brake pads because they were metal to metal. They will never see my Harley ever again! Most dealers seem to fall into the inadequate and over pricedcategory. But they do have access to the latest Factory fix/recall information. In FL I prefer custom shops. I wish I was closer to my SLC dealer.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:53 AM
jeffbarb17
Road Captain

Have always had problems with dealers....weather it be for my cars or trucks and allmakes of motorcycles....that's why i strictly use independants. It's much easier to have a working relationship with an indy and the mechanics there.

Life is Great....We all Ride!!!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/48412/B1F4665B517A4F24BE8419B8B1E69A0B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-30-2008, 07:34 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,862 Likes on 5,299 Posts

The few times mine need any thing they fixed it first time on time.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:02 AM
bucs012
Road Master

My experience has been 2 or 3 times to get it right. I alway go in being nice and give them 1 chance. Then I turn into a PITA. Funny thing is...That's when it get's done right. Sad really.

Oh and I ordered a brake line from them last Wednesday 4/23 and it wasto be in Friday or Monday at the latest. I called them yesterday to see where the hell it is........They didn't order it till Saturday 4/26and now it won't be in till this Friday. Some things never change!

I think that a guy/gal with some basic mechanics and a service manual and help from this site can do 80% of any work needed on their bike. Engine work and such I will leave to them.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:04 AM
2008FLHP
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

...and then broke another!

Old 04-30-2008, 09:44 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I bought my bike I assumed I'd get the same level of service(or better)from the Harley dealer. Couldn't have been more wrong. I can't even explain the level of frustration to have to listen to some dimwit try to BS you on everything that you bring to their attention. They have the attitude that we're all idiots, they're gods, and whatever they tell us we'll just nod our heads in awe and run away. Ya gotta love it when you ask them a follow up question requesting specifics on something and the, "....ah...ah...well....." starts. And I have NEVER been treated like this on any car/truck that I've brought in for service.

And another thing.....since they're too incompetent toschedule service correctly, EVERY Harley dealer I've been to tells you to leave the bike for a "few days". Imagine going to your car dealer for simple service and you're told you need to leave your car for a "few days". Yeah, like that would happen. And their "few days" usually ends up being a week.

Sorry for the rant....... [:@]

Old 04-30-2008, 09:45 AM
jahays32
Tourer

so 2 or 3 times to get it right seems to be the norm. That is what I thought. So I will just keep working with my dealer and cross my fingers that they will get it right with enough tries. If I stay with them long enough maybe there mechanics will get a lot more on the job training from me.

At least now when they see me coming they are probably saying oh **** theres Joe again. So at least we all know each others first name.
That is a good start to any relationship.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:02 AM
FLHTCUI05
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have had few issues, but always fixed first time.

Quick Reply: Has the dealer ever fix your bike the first time around