Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Police bike restoration help

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 09:17 PM
djh218
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Police bike restoration help

Hello all, new here and I need some help. I recently purchased a 98 Road King Police edition and I am restoring it to use in parades for our city fire department. I am trying to make some of the equipment removeable so that my wife has a choice of either the 94 dyna or the road king. So I have the police windshield that has a Whelen lightbar on the inside, with a quick disconnect plug. I can swap that out for a stock size windshield with a leather bag on the inside. The siren speaker has to stay ion the engine guard because it would be a PITA to remove it each time she wants to ride. The passing/fog lamps have been switched over to Whelen PAR36 LED lights. (All these LEDs have clear lenses, so no color until they are turned on). I changed the seat back over to the solo air ride seat, but I have to hide the air tank for the seat behind the left side cover just above the fuse block, where the cruise control module is supposed to go. Then I need to get the docking kits so that I can detach the tour pak. Now the tour pak is a Whelen product with LED lights, made for the Harley. It usually mounts to the stock luggage rack. I want to mount it to a "touring detachable solo tour-pak rack" (Kit no 53260-02) and I am not sure that it will work. Dealer told me I needed the following docking kit 53803-06. There will be a 12-position Deutsch connector as a quick disconnect for the tour pak, since that is where all the fuses are for the LED emergency lights. I also want to mark the saddlebags with "emergency services" so that I need to get her some leather bags that will fit inside the chrome saddlebag guards (I don't want to have to take them off each time, either).

SO - anybody done anything like this? Sure would be great to get some ideas and guidance. I live in upstate NY and serve as the Deputy Chief / EMS Medical DIrector / Fire Surgeon and I can't wait to get this project done. It will look great in parades and will be an awesome recruitment tool for the kids.

Thanks for any help.
Dan

Old 05-01-2008, 11:02 PM
Kagan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Police bike restoration help

No offence here, but what are you doing online? Give your specs to your dealer and it'll get done. The 53803-06 is a standard sissy bardocking kit and 53804-06 is a standard tour-pakdocking kit. Any FLHRC or FLHRS bag will go into the space required without modifying your exhaust support tubes. The electrical connections are a pain in the ***. You don't want to waste your time running back and forth from the dealer every time you need another connector and there's NO ONE who can give you a parts list for what you're trying to accomplish.

It's all relative to time and money. This is a perfect case of don't waste your time. Spend the money. I'm guessing in the $1400 range for all the docking hardware, tour-pak plate, bags, connectors and labor. Taxes extra of course.