Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HeLP>>>Engine Dies

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 11:24 AM
Coffeeman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HeLP>>>Engine Dies

This is my first post so thanks for your patience. I ride my e-glide anywhere between 120-180 miles and it just dies. When I recycle the kill switch on the handlebars it restarts immediately. For example, I can ride 30 miles, stop for coke, ride another 60 miles more, stop for lunch, and then while riding at 70 mph down the highway the bike just dies as it reaches the 120-180 mile point. While still coasting on the highway, I recycle the kill switch and it restarts and runs fine for another 120-180 miles. It happens even when I have the cruise control set and has died at all speeds. It is a real pain as it has happened right about the time I have hit the gas to pass a car. Two dealerships have run checks but said there are no “error codes” showing.

I have a Vance fuel pak and replaced it with a new one shortly after the problem started but it has made no difference. Other than the dying—the bike runs great and never misses a beat.

2007 E-Glide, Stage 1, Vance Fuel Pak, Rush 2", S/E Air Filter, about 12,000 miles on bike

Thanks for any help.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:28 AM
bluehwync
Intermediate
Default RE: HeLP>>>Engine Dies

I would definately check out the voltage regulator since there was a recall on some of the 06 models which mine was effected. In the recall it mentioned about intermittent stalling and they replaced the voltage regulator free of charge. You can call your local dealer and ask the service guys about the service bulletin regarding the voltage regulators since your 07 may be effected as well since they put the regulators on late 06 bike and possibly some early 07's were affected but they don't have a particular serial number breakdown. Hope this helps since it definately seems to be aggravating and dangerous as well.

Scott

Old 05-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Coffeeman
Advanced

Thanks Scott. I will check that out. My bike was a very early production in the 2007 line, so they may have use some remaining 2006 parts. mark

Old 05-08-2008, 12:05 PM
US Rider
Cruiser

I had similar problems, the contacts in the ignition switch were the culprit. Switch was changed out and now no stalling. There may even be a service bulliten on this.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:06 PM
roxnatwist
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you had them check/replace the speed sensor? I've had mine replaced twice for similar problems.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:10 PM
Coffeeman
Advanced

Haven't done anything to the speed sensor... does that only affect things associated with the cruise control? Just wondering as the problem happens even at slow speeds of a few miles an hour. mark

Old 05-08-2008, 12:18 PM
acedantinne
Tourer

Bike runs great and never misses a beat? OK Then what is the problem?

Old 05-08-2008, 12:20 PM
roxnatwist
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure how it figures into the cruise control but I use my cruise very little and still had the problem. The thing would die without any warning and then fire right back up as soon as I hit the start button. It was pretty scary riding around town especially trying to make a left turn. I couldn't tell you if you've got the same problem but just thought you may want to have it checked out as a possibility.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:56 PM
baggerider
Advanced

I had the same problem with my '07 RG. My dealership changed the ignition switch, run/stop switch, ground wires and still it would stop right in traffic. My wife refused to ride with me and it got to the point when I was constantly looking in my mirrors to see who was behind me and how close they were. I contacted Customer Service at the MOCO. The regional sales rep NEVER contacted me about this and I was never given any explination. I finally had to trade in the '07 with 6440 miles. I lost big bucks in the deal but now I have a new bike with ABS and a 6 gl can.

Just after trade-in a friend told me about his friend with the same bike and the same problem. They dismantled the bike and found a pinched wire under the tank, it voided the warranty, but the bike runs andhe didn't lose $10K like I did.

The wife wanted me to go with a Gold Wing! But you know what they say about pushing a Harley and riding a Honda!

Old 05-08-2008, 02:26 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The speed sensor tells the ECM how fast you are going so it can work properly.

Quick Reply: HeLP>>>Engine Dies