Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork Baffles

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 06:37 AM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fork Baffles

[quote]ORIGINAL: Lincolnhog

I know there have been many post on this, but no real conclusions.
Is putting the air baffle on an 04 to 08 Bagger going tomake the engine run hotter?
I live in New Hampshire, run lowers on my RG,,,,,,would it be a mistake to
put the baffle on?

I've got one on my EG Police with vented lowers,I've not noticed any hotter with the fork baffle on year round,it does cut down on the water coming around and up from the tank,when riding in the rain, NH here as well,plenty of rain this morning&nbsp\\; .......... but it is laconia bike week,kinda the norm for bike week here&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;

Old 10-23-2009, 11:26 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

I realize this is a fairly old post but I think there is still quite a bit of confusion on the subject of running the air baffle on Road Glides.

If you leave the stock Road Glide triple tree air baffle on, it will reduce (about 50%) the amount of air which is flowing up from your knee area.

By taking off the air baffle you will allow more air to come across the engine area which flow upward from your knee area to the chest area.
The Road Glide service manual recommends that riders remove the air baffle when temps hit 70 degrees or higher, in order to increase the air movement around the rider, thus making him or her cooler. This increases the age old problem that Sharknose (Road Gliders) have had, that being air turbulence coming upward from where the Sharknose fairing ends and your knees start.
To get the best of all worlds with a Road Glide you will have to make the windscreen higher, add lower fairings and leave the air baffle in place. In order to keep your engine temperatures within reason, remember that an air cooled engine relies on the fact that it is moving at all times. If you are not moving, the engine retains too much heat and it does not cool. With this combination you will have the least amount of air coming up from the bottom and rushing across your body. Keep out of parades and slow moving contests if you want to have fewer problems. I once rode with a guy who just purchased a new Harley. I noticed that when we were riding in town and pulled up to a stop sign he would put the bike in neutral and fast idle the engine. The first time we were stopped I asked him about why he was running the engine up when we were stopped. He said it was to keep the engine cooler. He mentioned that he had read it in a car magazine somewhere. Then I pointed out to him that very few Harleys have water jackets and that his bike was air cooled. When it finally dawned on him, he just grinned and said "let's go".

Old 10-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Let's end the confusion once and for all:
It'll make about .00001% difference either way. The baffle is virtually ineffective on any model for anything other than lightening your wallet should you buy one.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:30 PM
tomryan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
It'll make about .00001% difference either way. The baffle is virtually ineffective on any model for anything other than lightening your wallet should you buy one.
I find it hard to believe that you actually have used one. For 25 dollars, I think its one of the best purchases I've made. Significant change on buffeting, I would not remove it.

Tom

p.s. of course, I think all things being equal, the model of bike (i have an 08 sg) and your size/weight, shock pressure, the type of oil you use, whether your tire rotates clockwise or counter clockwise, etc probably contribute to the "experience".

Old 10-23-2009, 12:34 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
I know a lot of people swear by them but, I'm with Leftcoaster on this one. I noticed virtually no difference, good or bad. Glad it didn't cost much.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:40 PM
tomryan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stro1965
I know a lot of people swear by them but, I'm with Leftcoaster on this one. I noticed virtually no difference, good or bad. Glad it didn't cost much.
It is inexpensive and I think a lot of factors come into play as to whether its effective or not.

All I can say for sure, is that with my 220lb, 6' frame on my stock shocked 08sg and my fullface helmet, the baffle made a difference.

for 25 dollars, its an easy test.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:25 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I never noticed a difference but with the lower fork mounted wind deflectors I made to try on my EGC I have almost no air coming up around the fuel tank and fork area . I guess if I get a chance to ride again before the snow flies I could pull mine off with the fork deflectors still on and see what happens .

Old 10-23-2009, 01:29 PM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i think the motor company left them off later to save a couple of bucks. i added one to my 01 RK and got some relief during cold weather by redirecting air. i also noticed how many bug in warm weather didn't make it to the engine by being collected by the scoop.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:05 PM
KBrown53
Road Captain

you are right, there has been a lot of discussion on this.... do a search and you will learn a lot...

Old 10-23-2009, 02:22 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 176 Likes on 88 Posts

I put one on my RK and it eliminated the wind buffeting. My engine has no heat problem in hot weather.

Quick Reply: Fork Baffles