Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hog membership towing question

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 11:04 PM
Hoffy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hog membership towing question

I recently broke down and thought my private insurance covered towing, which it did not. I have towing on all my vehicles and thought the same insurance company that I have been with for over 30 years with no tickets or faults the entire time would also have towing for motorcycles. Frustrated and $200.00 tow bill later I researched for new insurance policies. I found that quite a few dont cover towing for bikes. The ones that did wanted 3 times annually what I am paying now.

Than yesterday I looked into the Hog road side service that every one seems to have bad things to say about. I logged onto www.members.hog.com for the first time and found an explanation of the service. I think the reason every one had problems with their service is because the membership you get automatically when you buy a bike is the bottom line. They have different road side packages. I found for an additional $20.00 a year, you get unlimited milage towing, unlimited times per year, and all tows paid in full. for twenty freakin bucks??? It says to call the number on the back of my membership card to up grade the towing package. They even have a plan the will pay for lodging for $30.00 a year. However I noticed the higher the packages get back into milage restrictions. The $30.00 a month package only pays for tows if you are MORE than 100 miles away from a dealer. The second tier package looks pretty good. $20.00 more a year for unlimited tows, unlimited miles, all towing payed in full. Hell, I'll pay for my own motel room if I have too, thats way cheaper than paying an extra several hundred a year on insurance just to have one that will tow. Does anyone have experiance with the upgraded towing package and do you like it?

Old 08-09-2008, 11:08 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like you have read much about the Hog road service and nothing I have read sounded very good. My bikes are insured by AAA and the towing is included.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:10 PM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Used the basic package a few weeks ago when I had a blow out. It covered up to $100.00 and that is what the dealer charged for the towing.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:19 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluesssman
I like you have read much about the Hog road service and nothing I have read sounded very good. My bikes are insured by AAA and the towing is included.
Be very careful with AAA - be sure to check YOUR area limits... mine here in the Turlock, CA area will NOT cover M/C - yep, AAA here does NOT cover M/C. I have had Road America and it is great http://www.road-america.com/hog.html the 100 miles you are talking about is ONLY for motel coverage and the breakdown has to be a warr covered problem. I have had my bike towed twice.... once for a shorted battery less than 100 miles away and the other was for a damaged tire OVER the 100 mile mark... since I had the tire coverage on my warr,,, HOG payed for the tow, tire and Motel... for $30 a year, I will NEVER be with out it....

Old 08-09-2008, 11:28 PM
ragtyme
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the HOG plan, ran out of gas out in the middle of the desert late at night (dumb *** mistake), made 1 call to them and had a can of gas delivered to me within an hour. cost me $25.00, $20.00 of which was a tip to the driver for recuing my *** at 2:00am. Also this was before gas prices rose.
Didn't need towing, but the service worked like at charm.
I renewed.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:28 PM
motorcyclerescue
Novice

Hi,

I do towing for HOG/Road America, You cant go wrong with the service , I Do recomend that you do the $20.00 up grade, unlimited to the nearest Dealer no matter how far you are from them,

David

Motorcycle Rescue Inc.

motorcyclerescueonline.com

Old 08-10-2008, 12:04 AM
Boom Daddy
Cruiser
Default sorry for the rant but............

Well you guys must be in a better part of the country then I am. Heres how it works; you call HOG and they send whoever they contract with in your area. For me in Houston, I called at 3:30 in the afternoon when I got rear ended. An hour and a half later I called cause no one showed. They informed me the wrecker showed up on time but I was no where to be found so they left. Thats great, my azz is with my broken bike on the service road to the freeway in the afternoon heat for an hour and a half with nothing in walking distance and I am no where to be found.... uh huh. A COCKROACH finally showed at 8:15 and he was pissed and wanted to know how he was being paid. Look man Im not saying its a bad deal but they have no control over contract towing. Hog people, while they were nice they really didnt have a clue. I guess its really the same with all AAA type towing. For me I just hope I dont have to use the service again-Boom

Old 08-10-2008, 12:41 AM
Hoffy
Road Master

I have already read enough good things from the replys. I just signed up for the deluxe package for unlimited towing for $20.00 you cant go wrong. For some reason the other two packages are not sold in California. Probably because California can be vary large and the motels very expensive depending on where you are. Hotels in Montery can be $300.00 + a night. I am stoked about this, now I dont have to hassle with finding another insurance company just for towing and pay tons more.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:08 AM
ironhead3fan
Road Master

I have AAA. It covers any vehicle that I am riding in, guess I should check to see if it covers the bike.

Last edited by ironhead3fan; 08-10-2008 at 03:10 AM.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:50 AM
speckfisher
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With you-HOG towed my bike for me when the fuel filter canister failed. No complaints, so I will be upgrading to the $20 Plan.

Quick Reply: Hog membership towing question