Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control Installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 01:17 PM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Cruise Control Installation

I am getting ready to drop the dime and buy a cruise control set up for my 07 Standard.
Anybody done the install? How difficult?

Old 08-10-2008, 01:19 PM
clap
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just follow the directions they include. It is very easy. I added to my 02 Electra Glide Classic and love it
Clap

Old 08-10-2008, 02:23 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I agree with Clap that it is a great upgrade, IMO probably the best available from HD. I don't agree that it was an easy job, however. You will need a service manual, the hardest part for me being the wiring even though I've wired dozens of jobs on cars and MC's over the past four decades. The pins in the CC harness are designed for insertion in an existing connector on the bike, but the instructions didn't show where they were to be placed, instead referring to the service manual. The CC section of the manual specified the pin numbers to use, but didn't show where on the connector they were located, and of course they were not marked on the connector. I finally found the info I needed in the electrical section, but only after about 30 min. of futzing around.

Also, you will be removing the old switch housing, and the brass ferrules for the throttle cables are notorious for jumping out on their own and getting lost. (Yes, they are alive.) Buy one or two extras for the job and have them ready--or you can do like I did and lose one, then ride over to the HD shop and pick up another, which is time wasted. In my case I searched for the lost one for 30 min., gave up, bought another ferrule, then found the lost one 30 sec. after returning. That's normal.

Anyway, have beer chilled, take your time, and you'll be okay. You'll love the upgrade.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:33 PM
ironhead3fan
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the service manual. The job took me the better part of the day, but well worth it. Best upgrade ever on my bike, hands down.

Be careful not to break the tip off of the front brake switch. Don't ask me how I know about that.

Last edited by ironhead3fan; 08-10-2008 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Additions made
Old 08-10-2008, 03:33 PM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

I was hoping it would be a simple plug n play. Oh well, I have heard nothing but raves about cruise. What actually controls the throttle? Where does it get hooked into? Do
A/M bars have any effect on the deal?

Thanks

Old 08-10-2008, 03:52 PM
ironhead3fan
Road Master

It is almost all plug and play. There is one piece that you have to open a plug and insert two wires, the rest is plug and play. The ignition switch is a bit of a pain. There is a control module that fits under the left side cover where my fuses are. There is a cable that comes out of that and eventually attaches to your EFI, nearby where your throttle and idle cables are.

I won't paint a rosy picture, it will take some time to do it. On a scale of 1-10, I would give this one a 4.

BTW, I replaced my throttle cables at the same time, as they were a little tight.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:58 PM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks for the help. Where from in Maryland are you Ironhead? I'm near Taneytown in Carroll County.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:59 PM
hoz88
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have some mechanical skills, the cruise isn't bad at all. The one thing to really watch is the brake light switch on the front brake - if you rush it and don't wedge something (I use a rolled up piece of cardboard) in to hold the brake lever open a little before taking the lever and switch housings apart you can ruin the switch. You will then be up a creek.

Take your time and you will have no problem installing the best upgrade you have ever done to your Harley!

Old 08-10-2008, 07:32 PM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 97 Likes on 49 Posts

I whimped out and had the Dealer do it.

It cost $300 to have them install it. I think I would get more satisfaction from it, had I done it myself like everything else on my bike.

G-

Old 08-17-2008, 06:42 PM
mrtnz03
1st Gear

I just finished today. It took me about 7 hrs to install it on my 06 Street Glide. It not difficult, just time consuming, and you'll need the service manual. Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control Installation