Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Effect of Solid Wheels on the Ride?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 07:30 AM
Mr. Nellis
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Effect of Solid Wheels on the Ride?

I LOVE the look of the solid wheels, like on the FatBoy. Someone one this board has picture of some solids with engraved skulls- AWESOME!

What is the effect of solid wheels on the ride of a touring bike? Anything different? I've got a 2009 RKC on order and it's just something I'm considering after the fact. What do you think? (I'd prefer solids, but if it doesn't work for some reason, I'm inclined toward the profile lace wheels).

Thanks!

Old 08-19-2008, 08:15 AM
rgswaim
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard that a cross wind will really push you around with solid wheels. Haven't ridden one so I don't know first hand.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:05 AM
coloradosteve
Cruiser

I would imagine starting and stopping would be effected as well based on centrifugal weight. Heavier wheel means longer stopping distance (or more effort required by brakes). Does the RKC come with ABS? Something else I'd personally be concerned about.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:21 AM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 711 Likes on 274 Posts
Default Solid Wheels

Its a myth, I had a Fat Boy and rode it in heavy wind more then a few times. My buddy gets pushed just as hard on his wire wheeled springer. A bagger has more side real estate then a Fatboy. The surface area of a solid wheel is so small in the big picture of side force. My Street Glide gets pushed around just as much. Put the wheels on you like, it will have little to do with fighting strong side winds.

Originally Posted by rgswaim
I have heard that a cross wind will really push you around with solid wheels. Haven't ridden one so I don't know first hand.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:36 AM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Nellis
What is the effect of solid wheels on the ride of a touring bike? Anything different? What do you think? (I'd prefer solids, but if it doesn't work for some reason, I'm inclined toward the profile lace wheels).
Thanks!
It's a bunch of BS about solid wheels getting blown around. I have them and the wind doesn't bother me.
If anyone believes the BS about being blown around, maybe they should leave saddle bags, backrests, sissy bars, windshields off their bikes. Maybe even remove the gas tank, because a cross wind could catch it as well. Better wear a mess jacket as well, so that the crosswind doesn't catch you!

Old 08-19-2008, 09:38 AM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Common sense will tell you it makes a difference. How much depends on a lot of things. Size of bike, size of rider, rider skill, wind speed and direction ect. I don't think it's enough to discourage a rim choice or anything else for that matter.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:43 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My experience was that it was not a myth. When I switched from the stock solid front wheel on my '07 Fat Boy to a H-D Blade chrome one, there was a noticeable improvement in the bike's handling in heavy crosswinds. Since I went with a chrome solid on the rear, I don't believe a solid wheel on the back makes any difference, but am convinced that a solid wheel out front does affect handling in crosswinds. The big difference between your front wheel and saddle bags, backrests, sissy bars, windshields, et al, is you're not doing your steering with any of that other stuff.

Here's my Fat Boy after I made the switch to the Blade front wheel and solid chrome rear.

Last edited by XTrooper3936; 08-19-2008 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:47 AM
lennyhd2002
Advanced

I had a fatboy for 4 years and i got my 08 sg and yes i can tell the difference! Would not go back to a solid wheel!!!

Old 08-19-2008, 09:50 AM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

May effect it a little but I doubt you'll notice. Well, maybe you'll notice a little but who cares? You'll look cool.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:55 AM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

No problems here been riding her 7 yrs.

Quick Reply: Effect of Solid Wheels on the Ride?