Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RK with ABS Bar Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 04:19 PM
Real_Big_Tex
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put on WO502 bars just before my ride to Sturgis this year. Involved longer clutch, longer switch wires and ABS brake line. Replacing the ABS line is no big deal and doesn't affect the ABS system. You just replace the line and bleed the line and fill the resevoir. The idea that it changes the pressure in the system is rediculous. You could add fifty feet of line and once you bled the lines, and had enough fluid, the ABS would still work and the pressure would be the same. Most Stealers try and make out like ABS and TBW are some magical new equipment that will only work under the most perfect of circumstances and will fail if you even look at the components funnny. This stuff has been around on cars and other bikes for a long time without problems. Either find another shop or do the work yourself, it isn't like its hard to do. Actually fitting the wires through the bars is the hardest part of the whole install.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:38 PM
Real_Big_Tex
Cruiser

As far as tips for doing the install. Get new exhaust crush rings or whatever they are called before you start. You can probably reuse the gasket and o-ring in the tranny cover and the clutch inspection cover if the bike has low miles and the TORCA clamps if they haven't been off before. Cover the tank and front fender with towels before you start anything else and solder any wire extensions instead of relying on the connectors that come in the kit. Don't ask me how I know. It's also easier if you are low on gas since you have to pull the tank to run the ABS line. Have some long black zip ties handy and prepare for a workout when you bleed the brake line. Above all else, have a service manual and use it.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:21 PM
06UltraBig95
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Real Big Tex
When you bled your ABS brake line, did you bleed it conventionally (top down by pumping the brake handle), did you use a suction system, or reverse bleed the system, by forcing the brake fluid from the bleeder valve at the caliper up to the master cylinder?
Thanx for any help, if my parts arive tomorrow my week end will be in the garage with the bike on the lift getting the 14"ers on the king.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:03 PM
Real_Big_Tex
Cruiser

Just did it old school, lot's and lot's of pumping that brake handle. Be careful because as it starts to get pressure, it will try to squirt brake fluid up out of the resevoir if you keep the top off. I left the top off during the bleeding because I had to keep adding fluid. Suction or reverse bleed should work fine but I don't have a bleeder that fits motorcycles.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:14 PM
06UltraBig95
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanx Real Big Tex
If I ever get to ride down in the US, I will have to look all you guys up stop by and thank everyone for their advice in person.
It would make for a fantastic trip, I would just have to stay out of the noise bylaw states.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:47 PM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 06UltraBig95
I went with Johnny over at WWW.HDBIKEPARTS.COM to get all my parts
He is extremely helpful, and was great to deal with.
I agree, Johnny is the guy to talk to.

CN

Old 08-21-2008, 09:24 PM
JohnB445
Tourer
Post Had the same problem 08 RKC

I had the same problem with my 08 RKC. Could not get extended bars.

I tried bought the adjustable rider back rest. It solved all my back

and shoulder problems (it was so bad I quit riding my RK).

Zannottis 200.00

Old 06-25-2009, 11:49 PM
bmorebhoy
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

When changing the bars, (stock 08 RKC to WO 518), do you need to extend the electrical switch wires as well? The turn signal, starter, cruise control, horn and headlamp controls?

Old 08-04-2009, 03:58 PM
blackmicrophone
6th Gear
Default RK Handlebars

I switched my 04 rkc stock handlebars to 20" apes. Switched out the cables and lines, replaced grips, new clutch gasket and extended the wires. I got all my lines and cables from www.hdbikeparts.com nice guy very helpful good prices and no waiting for clutch cables.

The install is straight forward, very time consuming, but straight forward. I will say I used crimps over sottering the electrical connections at the advise of my buddy (auto electrician) basically he said the heat and vibration crimps are better that was his $.02 and now m/o as well.

Pics are here http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...d/04%20flhrsi/

Love the apes and it has solved the ol RK shoulder issues.

Hope this helps

Old 08-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

SpeedBleeders make bleeding a breeze. Once the SB is installed, simply open the bleeder 1/4 turn and start pumping. The also have a hose and bag to make it even easer.

The correct speedbleeder part number for the Brembo brakes is SB8125L, front and rear. And the existing o-ring under the OEM bleeder does not get used.

Quick Reply: RK with ABS Bar Replacement