Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RK with ABS Bar Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 05:16 PM
tommarbru
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RK with ABS Bar Replacement

Just bought a Road King with ABS and after touring for 2 weeks wound up with severe back pain as a result of the crappy short bars. Dealer won't replace the stock bars with the reduced reach bars because the ABS line is too short for the new bars. They claim that extending the ABS line will make the brakes inoperative because of the change in line pressure to the ABS module, and they won't accept the liability. Has anyone added lenght to their ABS line to do a bar change?

Old 08-20-2008, 05:48 PM
patsfan
Road Captain

I'm about to find out. I've got some 10" mini apes on the way with a +4" upper abs line. Having a local Indy do the install. The dealer wouldnt do it, but never stated that it would make it inoperative. They said it was because the Moco hadnt come out with extended lines yet. My Indy said hes done several with no problems, we shall see.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:21 PM
06UltraBig95
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Roger that,
I have searched out a ton of posts on this same issue, and after speaking with a few dealers, as well as alot of very kind people on this forum, I have decided to go with the Chubby wild 1 bars, wo572 (14 "apes) and extension wires, clutch cable, and BRAKE LINE.
I went with Johnny over at WWW.HDBIKEPARTS.COM to get all my parts
He is extremely helpful, and was great to deal with.
If you have any big concerns, just ask as there is a whole bunch of experienced people on here that will help out.
Good luck to you.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:45 PM
patsfan
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 06UltraBig95
Roger that,
I have searched out a ton of posts on this same issue, and after speaking with a few dealers, as well as alot of very kind people on this forum, I have decided to go with the Chubby wild 1 bars, wo572 (14 "apes) and extension wires, clutch cable, and BRAKE LINE.
I went with Johnny over at WWW.HDBIKEPARTS.COM to get all my parts
He is extremely helpful, and was great to deal with.
If you have any big concerns, just ask as there is a whole bunch of experienced people on here that will help out.
Good luck to you.
Have you done the install yet? If so, were there any issues?

Old 08-20-2008, 08:55 PM
hyperfocal
Road Master

I am about to buy a Road King Classic, have the heritage bar put on before delivery. No one has said anything about a problem.

Good Luck;
paul

Old 08-20-2008, 08:56 PM
06UltraBig95
Cruiser

No I haven't done the install, parts are in route.
Should be hopefully doing install this weekend.
I have done all the cables and wiring on my 06 Ultra with no troubles.
Plus I have spoke to a bunch of poeple on this site that have done it with no problems as well.
Both by soldering the wire extensions, and other by using the plug and play wire extensions by NAMZ.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:51 AM
MassHD
Road Warrior

Please let us all know how it goes. Do you have to do anything special when you lengthen the abs line?

Old 08-21-2008, 09:42 AM
patsfan
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 06UltraBig95
No I haven't done the install, parts are in route.
Should be hopefully doing install this weekend.
I have done all the cables and wiring on my 06 Ultra with no troubles.
Plus I have spoke to a bunch of poeple on this site that have done it with no problems as well.
Both by soldering the wire extensions, and other by using the plug and play wire extensions by NAMZ.
If you do it this weekend, please let us know how it went. My bars and cables are enroute as well, looking at next weekend to do the install, so any pointers or troubleshooting tips you come up with will be appreciated.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:44 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am about to buy a Road King Classic, have the heritage bar put on before delivery. No one has said anything about a problem.
That may be because the stock length brake line will work with the Heritage bars.

Dealer won't replace the stock bars with the reduced reach bars because the ABS line is too short for the new bars.
You may want to consider the RK High bars, stock length brake line will work.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:53 AM
tommarbru
Advanced

Does your Classic have ABS? If so, there is no way that the stock lines will fit the Heritage bars. What is the part # for the RK high bars?

Quick Reply: RK with ABS Bar Replacement