Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glasses

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 10:30 PM
jackinthebox
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Glasses

Does anyone have any recommendations on sunglasses that change from dark to light so you dont have to switch glasses when it gets dark
Thanks

Old 08-27-2008, 10:49 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

I have RX transition lenses and they don't get nearly dark enough for day time riding. Sunglasses are a must for me.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:58 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I've looked at many transition glasses. None go 100% clear and aren't nearly dark enough for bright sunlight.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:21 PM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

http://www.drivewearlens.com/home.php?flashchange=8 I looked at a set of these lenses at my eye doctor, they're called DriveWear Lenses.

Unlike traditional 'transition' lenses, these have two key factors to them. 1) they can be activated light/dark while behind a uv windshield in a vehicle, so they're more versatile. 2) They're polarized, meaning they cut glare off of water, glass, and other shiny surfaces.

I took the lense inside a dark bathroom, I could still see as well as the naked eye, while it still showed some tint (although mfg won't claim night driving is ok, my guess real world it might be ok, at least for me, YMMV). They have 3 stages of tint/polarization, as you can see on the website, low light, bright light, and full sun.

I then took the lenses outside on a sunny day and looked up at the clouds near the sun, looked all around. They may not be as dark as some of the darkest sunglasses, but I'd bet that they're just as dark as my prescription sunglasses, which are also polarized. To me, the polarization is key, making it real easy on your eye, even though they're not pitch black.

The only reason I haven't bought a set yet, is I'm trying to find the right frame to fit my wide head, that is also wrap around enough for the bike, while still allowing for my high prescription.

That website is for the manufacturer, they sell to distributors, so you can't get a list of retailers from that site. However, many of the popular online prescription outfits touted on here do sell drivewear as an option in their frames, or you could ask a local eyedoctor for some. In my case, my eye doctor sold them, but had no samples yet, I contacted the mfg, and they sent my eye doctor the samples I referenced earlier.

Hope that helps.

Karz

PS the only thing that is a draw back to polarized lenses, is seeing certain lcd screens, it tends to scramble the lcd effect so you may have a hard time reading an lcd monitor, lcd digital watch, lcd speedo or radio display, for example. Like when I came in from outside at the eye doc, the lcd screen on their computer monitor was noticeably different, but then when it went to indoor light transition lense, then I could clearly see the monitor again. This shouldn't affect me if I bought a set, I don't have any lcd readouts to look at when I would use these glasses, the only thing I might have to get the right angle on to look at would be my mileage readout on the road king classic, but haven't attempted, don't think it's a huge deal.

Last edited by karz10; 08-27-2008 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:51 AM
jahays32
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Panoptix are great. For daytime I ride with the removable foam surrounds.

Yes they are not as dark as the darkest Oakley's but they are fine. They keep the wind and dust out of your eyes which is a big plus at the end of a 800 mile day when you look in a mirror and your eyes are not bloodshot red.

For night driving I have to remove the foam surrounds then I can see at night fine.

I do not regret paying 145.00 for these and would do it again.

I only use my Oakley's now when I gwt off the bike and walk around.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:16 AM
Jager
Cruiser

I like the Wiley-X pair I wear - work from the bright sunshine to the darkness of night. Sure is nice not having to futz with changing lenses or swapping glasses.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:24 AM
bfreesun
Road Warrior

I have a couple of Schubeth helmets with the flip down sunshade. They have the advantage in that it's easy to flip the shade up and down for varying light conditions.

Otherwise rose coloured Maui Jims are pretty good for general use.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:28 AM
whoop72
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unfortunately I bought a pair once, and in my experience they don't get nearly dark enough during the day. night is okay. wouldn't buy again.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:34 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've used Wiley-X for many years. The latest pair I got are curved to go around the side of my eyes, but don't have the foam to seal against wind and stuff. For the most part they are pretty good and I like that I can use them for other things besides riding, but the foam seals are really great at keeping dust and dirt out plus with the glasses being more sealed they seem a lot darker. Might have to order a new pair of lenses for my older Wiley-X's next year, but with my prescription they are pretty pricy.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:21 AM
coloradosteve
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jahays32
Panoptix are great. For daytime I ride with the removable foam surrounds.

Yes they are not as dark as the darkest Oakley's but they are fine. They keep the wind and dust out of your eyes which is a big plus at the end of a 800 mile day when you look in a mirror and your eyes are not bloodshot red.

For night driving I have to remove the foam surrounds then I can see at night fine.

I do not regret paying 145.00 for these and would do it again.

I only use my Oakley's now when I gwt off the bike and walk around.
+1 Panoptix is what I wear, they don't fog, water beads off the lens on the outside. They get very dark in daylight (not going to help if your driving into a rising or setting sun, but what sunglasses really do?), and at night they get yellow which helps cut glare. THey are a soft foam goggle type of glasses so if you don't like that style you might need to keep looking.

These are expensive, so if you lose goggles or glasses might not be a good idea.

p.s. Panoptix makes several types of lenses, the light transitions are both self lightening and darkening and are polarized as well. If you get these, before you start wearing them, spend a day putting them in the sun and taking them out. It "breaks in" the lens sothat the transitions happen faster. I found this super helpful on all of the transitional lenses I've had over the years. It made riding on i70 through the tunnels on a sunny day much safer.

Quick Reply: Glasses