Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Road Glide after two weeks and 1000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 03:37 PM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts
Default 2009 Road Glide after two weeks and 1000 miles

The Road Glide for the 2009 model year is drastically changed. By drastic I mean that it still looks like a Harley motorcycle all right, but has significant improvements over earlier versions. I am not a salesman for the MOCO and it makes little difference if you are a fan of American, Japanese or British hardware. You should pick your motorcycle after doing your due diligence and carefully evaluating how you will be spending most of your time aboard your bike. I don’t mean to suggest that anyone should trade their earlier model Road Glide in for a new one either just because the new ones are “new and improved”. We are all adults here so let’s just get on with my impressions and let it go at that.

The frame, the swing arm assembly, the wheels and yes, the exhaust. Those are the things which are the most improved upon from earlier years. They have also received the most attention from the press. For 2009, all the touring models have a new frame and swing arm. The new frame is robotically welded with far fewer parts as is the swing arm assembly. Is it improved? There is absolutely no wobble at any speed that I can determine. The ride is firm and the bike is more stable than anything I have ever ridden. It goes straight and tracks true, even when being buffeted by side winds. It is a dream to drive. Nuff said.

OK, let’s talk about the tires and wheels. For 2009 the Road Glide has been fitted with a 17” aluminum cast spoke wheel instead of the previous years 16’ wheel. On the rear the back tire has grown somewhat. In fact, the 16” rear tire has grown a full two inches wider. It is now 5 inches wide to complement the new frame.
As I have visited with Harley owner over the past year or two, the one thing all owners have complained about is the fact that they are uncomfortable on their touring bikes because of the heat being thrown off by the engine and exhaust pipes. Knowing that I was particularly interested to learn that the exhaust pipes on 2009 touring models has been rerouted and re-jiggered, to say the least. Gone is the crossover pipe which cooked many of a rider and passenger. The pipe for the front jug still comes down the passenger side the same. The big obvious change is that the pipe for the rear jug does not have a crossover pipe and it has been rerouted more forward and curved down and around than in earlier years. The pipes both have chrome shields on the passenger side which covers up any blueing which might occur. The rear jug exhaust pipe now traverses from the right side to the left side under the frame of the motorcycle. The pipe is wider and flatter than traditional versions and it still looks good. If you didn't know that it goes under the new frame you probably would not even notice it. Some have wondered if the new pipe might drag on something, but I can see no reason why that would occur unless you take it out to the rock pile and attempt some cross country maneuvers which might put the 2009 below the frame exhaust in jeopardy. It is just a non issue. It is new, that is why it is suspect.
At no time during the two week, 1000 mile break-in were hot pipes or burning thighs for myself or passenger an issue. It just never came up and were riding in 100 degree plus weather the whole time. Now that we have highlighted the main improvements, let’s talk about how this motorcycle sits and runs.

Harley says the front end of the touring bikes have all received improvements in the front shock absorbers. I suppose with a new frame they felt like they needed to do something with the dampeners. I can’t say for sure what was done, but it is a very comfortable ride at any speed from crawl up to 80 mph. The adjustable rear air shocks certainly complement the comfortable ride too. Not once did I bottom out, even when riding over a 2x4 which was laying in the middle of the interstate late one evening. When I finally saw it I had no choice but to drive over it as traffic was too close to swerve around it. My heart skipped a beat but all went well, we just motored on.

The instrument panel is laid out very well. Gauges include fuel, ambient air temperature, oil pressure and voltage. If you want to see how far your fuel supply will take you down the road, that is available with the push of a button, as is trip mileage. When in cruise control mode a little light in the tachometer lights up as well. Pushing a little switch on your right hand will set the cruise control to do most anything a car version will do. It is smooth as silk and a pleasure to use at highway speeds of 35 up to 85 mph. As long as we are still talking about things forward of the fuel tank (six gallons) let’s not forget the windshield and fairing. Road Glides have two things which sets them apart from the other touring bikes Harley manufacturers. The Road Glide has its fairing attached to the frame instead of the front forks. I believe this tends to make for a smoother sensation especially when confronted with side winds. The fairing Harley uses on Road Glides is generally referred to as a shark nose type due to its aerodynamic shape. The other notable thing about Road Glides is the fact that they sport twin headlights. Nice!
In contrast the Street Glide uses a somewhat traditionaly shaped fairing as do the other models. Does one look better than the others? Certainly not. Different strokes for different folks comes to mind here. Come to think about it, most of Harleys marketing model encourages riders to ride and customize what they like. Make it your own. There is certainly no shortage of custom parts and accessories for any Harley model.

If there is one fly in the ointment here, it is the windshield Harley puts on Road Glides. You either like it or not. There does not appear to be much middle ground here. For my 5’ 10” carcass and riding stance, the top of the windshield hits right at my line of sight. I either had to sit up higher or scootch down lower to avoid an unpleasant line of sight. I have yet to find the position where looking through the windshield felt comfortable. I have taken the measures to replace the stock 12 ½” tall windshield with an aftermarket shield from Brand X. If you talk to many Road Glide owners, the head or helmet buffeting is usually an issue with them. It is my belief that there are a few riders who find the stock windshield to their liking and the rest end up with an aftermarket version of some brand. I went with the Brand X shield because they offer a flare on the top which would seem to redirect air over the head and helmet of the rider. The Brand X is thicker than stock Harley windshields which tend to vibrate at low speed. OK, that about covers that.

Want to talk music now? The stereo sounds very good up until about 70 mph. I don't know about anybody else but I think that is kind of remarkable. It has AM, FM, The Weather Channel and a CD player to boot. You can run all of them with the thumb on your right hand if you have a mind to do so. Otherwise just punch the buttons on the console.

We should probably address the various heights and widths about this time.
2008 Length-93.7” 2009 Length-94.10”
2008 Seat Hight-29.5” 2009 Seat Height-29.5”
2008 Ground Clear-5.1” 2009 Ground Clear-5.1”
2008 Rake- 26 Degrees/6.20” 2009 Rake 26 Degrees/6.69”
2008 Wheelbase- 63.5” 2009 Wheelbase 63.5”
2008 Weight-789 W/Fluids 2009 Weight-820 W/Fluids. This bike is heavy, but still nimble.
Saddle bags for the 2009 touring models have had their capacity increased by 5 lbs. each.
In doing so I believe that the bags have been moved back about an inch or slightly less from 2008 models. This probably is due to the new longer frame in 2009.
1st. through 6th. gear ratios for 2009 have been lengthened about 4% in each gear.
Two extra teeth have also been added to the rear sprocket for 2009.
The end result should be more a more responsive throttle throughout the gear range. It shows too!
6th. gear at 60 mph is now about 2300 rpm.
6th gear at 70 mph is now about 2600 rpm.
Front wheel has grown from 16” to 17”.
Rear tire has grown from 3 “ wide to 5” wide. Ya, it gets noticed too at the gas pump.
Brembo brakes on front and rear in 2008 and 2009.
Mine had ABS ($795.00) which is worth every penny. I made a panic stop from 60 mph on dry pavement. It will make you rethink your opinion on ABS brakes for a motorcycle.
Miles per gallon of 91 octane fuel is 54/35 on both years. In truth, the only way my bike would get 54 miles per gallon would be down a mineshaft. 42-45 on the highway is probably more in line with reality. In fairness two thirds of my 1000 miles were 65-75 mph on the interstate.
If you buy a new motorcycle you will probably be concerned about security. My bike had the added Harley security feature for an additional $345.00. If somebody sits on your bike and rocks it any way at all, a light blinks on the speedometer and all the turn indicators on both ends flash a few times. There are no sirens blaring in protest, just blinking lights. In fairness I did read where for another hundred dollars or so (“HD”) you can add a little jimcrack that will dial your cell number to inform you that someone is messing with your bike. Cruise control is standard on Road Glides. Some of the other models don’t have it as standard and for those you have to pony up $270.00 for 2009.

Moving toward the rear we see that the rear fender on the Road Glide has been reshapped for 2009. For my part it looks good and stout as well. The radio antennae seem to be a little shorter than past years. Instead of threatening to poke my eyes out, now it just reminds me that it is there. Not objectionable at all unless you are a klutz and can’t help but run into it. The Isolated Drive System compensator has now been integrated into the rear hub rendering a much cleaner look. This feature is supposed to lend a smoother ride, especially on acceleration. If you are a fan of carburators, get over it. All touring bikes use an electronic throttle control to connect to the electronic fuel injection system. That means no throttle cables. It works very well up to this point. Response is quick and you aren’t even aware of the lack of a cable.

To sum it all up. The new 2009 Road Glide is a dream. I enjoy riding it. It is fun, exciting and a pleasure to motor on down the highway on. The seat is fine. I did notice a little burning in the posterior region after one 3 hour run but I think that is normal. Hell, when I fall asleep in my living room Barko Lounger, I can wake up with a little burn too. It can be driven in town or on the highway, although in fairness this bike was made to cruise down the open highway at high speed all day long. That is why they call it a touring bike. It accelerates well and stops just as well. It goes in a straight line at highway speeds and does not have a tendency to wobble or creep should the highway gets a little washboardy in places. When passed by large eighteen wheelers is won’t blow off the road either. Although the engine seems to run just as hot as 2008 models, there is a vast difference in comfort of the rider between the two model years due to the rerouting of the exhaust system. It accelerates and shifts through the gears very well. The exhaust note is in keeping with earlier Harley models. If you want a really loud exhaust, you will have to invest in a set of aftermarket mufflers because this bike won’t knock the windows out of car next to you at a stop sign. It is just right though for an old scudder like myself.

After about 500 miles on this bike, the transmission was beginning to loosen up somewhat. Shifting was quieter although still very smooth. Given the gear ratios and such, you probably won’t want to get into 6th. gear until about 60 or 65 mph. It is definitely long winded. Harley engineers chose to make 5th. gear a straight cut gear as opposed to a helical cut gear. Straight cut gears by their vary design are not as quiet as their helical cousins so there is a slight whine when in 5th. Since in theory you can spend a lot of time in 5th gear I suppose it was engineered for that very reason. The whine is not objectionable at all; it just reminds you that you are riding a bike that has a heavy, engineered 6 speed transmission transmitting all that torque.

Something else upset me on my second day of riding. When starting up, the engine would idle from 1200 rpm upwards to about 1500 rpm. That can be a little disconcerting especially when pulling up to a stop sign. In fact it could very well be a safety hazzard. Knowing that I drove back home and began to leaf through the 2009 Touring Models Service Manual. Sure enough I found the problem. It seems that if you do not let the bike idle down before turning it off, the memory chip that runs the electronic fuel injection module will remember that little indescretion on your part. In fact, the service guide points out that it will remember the engine idle speed of the last four shut downs when it fires up anew. All in all, that sounds like a little software glitch to me and will surely be taken care of. The fix is dead simple. To reset the idle speed to normal just flip the kill swith on the handle bar to the "ON' position. Then turn the main ignition switch to the "On" position and then back to the "Off" position and leave it there for 10 seconds. By repeating this procedure a total of four time you will reset everything and the bike will fire up and idle at the factory set 1000 rpm (+/- 50 rpm). Seems like somebody at the dealership could have imparted that bit of wisdom to me before I drove off. Maybe they don't know about it, I just do not know.

That is about all that I think is relevant here. After two weeks of break in I truthfully believe that I made a wise decision in buying a Road Glide. After I get the new windshield up and running I can’t think of anything I would change. It is worth keeping. Should you go out and buy one solely for the improvements in 2009. I wouldn’t, unless I just got a wild hair and had a pocket full of quatro. I was needing a new bike anyway and the improvements were just icing on the cake for me. Would you view it differently? You might, although I think anybody would be hard pressed to ride this machine for two weeks without falling in love with it. The opinions expressed here are my own, yours might differ. I don’t offer allegiance to anyone so nobody influenced my thoughts. I offer this review solely so anybody considering a new bike purchase might have someone else’s experiences to factor into their buying decision. This bike made it’s bones on its merits alone.
End of story.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:53 PM
Rafkin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great writeup texaswiz! I have paid for magazine writeups that did not have as much useful information as your review. I plan to do a 2 week review on my 09 Ultra in about 13 days but not sure I can live up to yours. thanks again for a great review and keep us informed.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:56 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts

Nice post Texaswiz, thank you!

Old 08-28-2008, 04:15 PM
1goindiesel
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Good, well thought out review. Thanks very much!!

Old 08-28-2008, 05:38 PM
dougyf
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default what a great review

I agree with everything that Texaswiz said about his Roadglide. I now have 1600 miles on my 09 Ultra & am extremely pleased with it as well. My 06 was a great bike but this one is just better in every way. I did initially feel a little heat on my right leg but now that the bike is more broken in ,I don't even notice it anymore.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:07 PM
caymen8
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write up. It would make me want to trade in my '08 RG if I hadn't dumped $4,000 in goodies into it.

No regrets on buying the '08 and getting a whole summers riding in.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:54 PM
Cloud09King
Road Warrior

Wow...felt like I was reading AIM! Nice write-up! Agree with all that you said...the '09's are "a dream" to ride! Love mine & can't stop staring at it! Best of luck with yours Bud!

Old 08-28-2008, 06:56 PM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Sweet sweet write-up...Thanks

Old 08-28-2008, 07:15 PM
speckfisher
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2+ Great right up, you should consider becoming a columinist.

Thanks, job well done.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:32 PM
stevec
Intermediate

Great review Tex, I got one ordered, should be in mid September, can`t wait now after reading your review

Quick Reply: 2009 Road Glide after two weeks and 1000 miles