Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stipped fairing bolt

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Kroozer
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stipped fairing bolt

I removed my upper fairing to install a garage door remote opener. When I was reinstalling the fairing, one of the bolts (the bottom, left, behind the fork tube), somehow got cross threaded, and in attempting to remove it, I managed to strip the torx drive recess in the screw head. Now the torx bit is just turning, without driving the screw (the screw is half way in). Anybody has any idea how I can remove this screw? The location is pretty tight, so no other tools (like a vise grip) can be used. Not even a Dremel tool can fit in there, so that I can cut a straight slot in the screw head. Argh....
Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:40 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 702 Likes on 349 Posts

Try lightly tapping in the next size bigger torx on an extension. Can't possibly be very tight...right?

Old 09-13-2008, 03:43 PM
clap
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Get what they call an easy out ,drive it in the head and try to turn out. When you get it out chase the threads with a 1/4 x 20 tap. That is what size it is and get a new bolt and put it in. Or maybe a set of neddle nose vice grips and turn it out.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:56 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Once you get the screw out, if you also stripped the threads out of the inner fairing, HD sells brass bushings to install into the fairing. Don't ask me how I know.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:13 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I,ve replaced the three uppers with the new style insert which is threaded on the outside as well as the inside. This insert replaces the knurled insert that keeps backing out.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:50 PM
helikenny
Advanced

Unfortunately, you're going to have to get that bolt out and replace the insert with the repair type that threads in (P/N 16585-06). Install it with epoxy too. With the bike on the jiffy stand turn the bars to the side to gain better access to the culprit. Then do what u can to get it out. The insert will be turning in the fairing, so more than likely you'll have to pull on the bolt with visegrips, while someone pulls on the fairing at that location, then separate the bolt from the damaged sert.
good luck
copter

Old 09-13-2008, 06:55 PM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Cutting wheel in a Dremel Motor tool.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:23 AM
ucommbxny
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you can get to it with a drill use a reverse drill bit, it might back it out if not you will have a hole to use a easy out to back out screw

Old 09-14-2008, 12:58 AM
BugBYter
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try a "broken screw remover" in a cordless drill. Craftsman, Irwin and a few other companies make them. It's basically a cutting head that works with the drill in reverse. A 1/4" quick disconnect extension in the drill will let you reach into that tight spot. Works really good on stripped torx.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:45 AM
roadkingdoc
Cruiser

ditto on the screw removers,they are a great solution for your problem. i have used them many times. if you do much wrenching they are a necessity.

Quick Reply: Stipped fairing bolt