Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many here like the idea of passing lights on a SG???

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 11:23 PM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by biz44
Quick question for anyone who added a set of this type of lighting.....are these riding lights able to be illuminated even with the high beams or low beams on, or are they designed to work one or the other?
It's all on how you wire them up. You can bypass pretty much anything. Most are designed to turn off when the high beams are turned on, but there's a way around that.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:53 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I had the HD fog lamps on my '04 EG for 2+ years and loved them; only removed them 'cause I wanted to add fairing lowers.

Also had the HD Custom Aux Light Kit for the passing lamps. Took both off and sold them--replaced them with Motolights. Here's a write-up on the Motolights with pictures:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/238666-motolights-installed-more-pics-added.html

The Motolights are wired to use the ACC switch, and have no effect on high/lo beam. My HD fog lamps were wired the same way.

What you consider "funky" is a function of what you're used to. I think my Motolights looked "funky" for about a day, and I stopped noticing them after that, except to know they put out a helluva lot of light at night, and aid a lot in my daytime conspicuity in metro Atlanta suburban traffic.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:59 PM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
What you consider "funky" is a function of what you're used to. I think my Motolights looked "funky" for about a day, and I stopped noticing them after that, except to know they put out a helluva lot of light at night, and aid a lot in my daytime conspicuity in metro Atlanta suburban traffic.
I'm with you. I love the look of the lights hanging off the brake calipers. And IMO looks are very secondary as far as the benifits from installing them for seeing at night and to be seen during the day. JMO

Old 09-27-2008, 12:59 AM
Curlee
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used Harleys Custom Auxiliary Lighting Bracket Kit and a pair of Kuryakyn Siver
Bullets on my 06 SG. Love them and does'nt take away from the SG look.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:53 AM
HarryDavidson
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Biz44,

Opinions are like azzholes...every one has one and all of the stink...having said that, IMHO, the small lights don't look right. I plan to run the full sized passing lights on mine at some point.

I do like the Motolights, and by the time you pay for the HD passing lights bulbs, bracket/lamp housing, and new turn signals, you'll have spent the same amount...if you want the clean SG stripped look, the caliper mounted are a great way to go, plus they'll cut under fog better if you get in that situation.

Harry

Old 09-27-2008, 06:58 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like em

Old 09-27-2008, 07:01 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will be contrary. Part of the appeal of the SG to me is the clean look up front. Otherwise, you are turning it into an EGC. I see fine. Just my $.02.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:07 AM
Raaze07
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by biz44
I have been messing around with the idea of adding a set of passing lights to my 08' SG. Now I aint adding them for looks, I actually need a bit more light on the road. At this stage of the game....I am 45 years old now, my night vision has deteriorated a bit and the extra light would help a bunch.
I am just not sure if I should go with the passing lights or a set of aux lights mounted to the crash bars (then if I want to add the lowers I am screwed though I think??).
The whole thing with the FLHX is the clean sort of look, and I dont know if adding the passing lights would detract from that. I also need to figure out what would actually oput more light on the road......the passing lights, or driving (riding) lights?

Help me out here guys.....I know someone out there besides me likes to see where they are going at night.
I added them to my '07 SG. I was dead set against them, didn't want to "ruin" the lines of the SG< but in the end function won out over form, and I'm glad I added them. They light up the entire road, and when all's said and done they don't look bad after all (they use the same mounting kit as the Screamin' Eagle EG's from '04-'05), so it's a very clean look. Just my $.02.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:22 AM
hdman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its the same old song. The SG is a custom, stripped, lowered, hot rod. They
sell a blue gillion of them. Now.... I personally think you are degrading the
look when you start making major appearance changes Clutter I'll call it. BUT,
and that is a BIG BUT. You have to make the decision... NO one bike in the Harley line, will fill all the desire of the owner. We like this on this bike and this
on another bike, BUT BUT,........ LIFE AINT EASY....... hdman

Old 09-27-2008, 07:32 AM
Overdoo
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Passing lights!!!

I had mine put on even before I picked up the bike. I used the SE mount. I thought this was the cleanest version. I love them. I think it should be mandatory. But JMO. The extra light definitely helps at night but also making your presence known during the day. Like I said I think it's a good choice.

Quick Reply: How many here like the idea of passing lights on a SG???