Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

touching my bike!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 05:14 PM
Dinger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I first got my bike, my butthole friend that actually owns a RK; walked up to my bike and rubbed the headlight bucket. He was trying to get a rise out of me as he said "Look at me, I'm messing up your bike." Unfortunately, there was a layer of road dust on the bike and he actually scratched the bucket. I see that scratch every time the sun reflects off of it. I don't hang with this guy that much these days.

I don't like anyone touching my bike, but it's not worth looking like a baby and fingerprints clean off easily.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:07 PM
Fast FLHX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the issues has nothing to do with friends etc...

If you like keeping your bike free of scratches etc... then you don't want someone rubbing their fingers on the paint. Even touching the paint and moving your finger on it will leave visible scratches. My brother, much younger than me, was dicking around and put his finger on my car and moved them across it. I almost beat him on the spot. The end result of his foolery was finger print scratches that took forever to remove. I love my brother but he should have known better.

On the other hand touching handle bars, foot pegs/boards/engine/radio etc... is not a big deal since you don't have to worry about difficult cosmetic damage.

Last edited by Fast FLHX; 10-06-2008 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:37 PM
IBHarley
Road Master

How can you worry about a finger print if you ride it its going to get old and worn just enjoy it and if you dont want anyone touching it just say so but dont worry about friends admiring your wheel

Old 10-06-2008, 06:45 PM
ironhead3fan
Road Master

Originally Posted by bigskyhd
I know I'm in the minority here, but for years and years there's kind of been an unwritten law in the motorcycle community. "Don't touch another person's bike"... I adhere to it, and I expect everyone else to do so as well. My friends, whether they ride or not, also know the rule. Written or not, they never touch my scoot, unless I invite them to do so. I in turn, am respectful to them and to their bikes. Strangers that feel comfortable touching are gently reminded that it's not appropriate. Never had anyone push it after the gentle, and yet firm reminder. My advise, a discussion with my friend about the "unwritten laws" of motorcycling... Do it with dignity, and respect to your friends, as they probably just don't realize it's inappropriate. Because that's exactly what it is! After that friendly discussion, offer to buy lunch, and continue a dialogue regarding other things in the motorcycle community that are actually different than the "Cage Commuity".... No harm, no foul, but I believe it's essential that your bud's know the rules, whether they ride or not, the rules apply. JMHO, CCRyder
Couldn't have said it better myself. I would never touch anyone's bike without asking. It is the unwritten rule. It is also common courtesy not to mess with anyone else's stuff.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:23 PM
iowacruiser
Tourer

Think of it as a public service to inform the friend or stranger just how badly they could get their azz kicked by someone less forgiving as you!

Old 10-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Scorpio49
Cruiser

My God it's not a shrine.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:54 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Holy Crap it sounds like you have a stick up your butt. Give it a break!!!!!!!

Old 10-06-2008, 08:18 PM
yoopermjm
Tourer

I never touch anyone's bike without asking, actually I never ask, I just don't touch another bike. But if a friend of mine touched my handlebar I think I could deal with it without even saying anything. If he's my friend why would I care? Reminds me of when I see "friends" out together eating dinner and the calculators come out when the bill arrives. If you have to work it out to the last penny, if you have to comment when someone touches the handlebars, you're probably not really friends anyway. At least not anyone I'd want for a friend.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:19 PM
2008FLHP
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

a friend, OK...for the rest of ya...you toucha my bike i breaka yo face!

Old 10-06-2008, 08:21 PM
wood butcher
Tourer

Imagine how it feels to have a friends dog jump up and drag his friggin' toe nails acroos your paint. Luckily it happened to my black truck and not my black bike. I give that guy crap every time we're by my truck. If it were my bike he'd be payin out some cashish and maybe burying his pooch. The best rule is - look.... but don't touch!

Quick Reply: touching my bike!!!!