Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most ignorant statement made by a salesman/saleswoman at a H-D dealership....

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 09:22 AM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

talking with a salesman a week or so ago and I ask if he had a scoot and what was it. Well he says proudly for me there's nothing but H~Ds and I have owned it since I bought it.
I congratulated him on his purchase.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:41 AM
donr101395
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by pop1
" Look man Harley Davidson didn't build the pha-king taj mahal giving $hit away." I thought he was a jerk and left.

That one is an instant trip to the GM's office for a sit down with him and the owner.

Not at an HD dealer but a local Ford dealer 10 years ago while looking for a car for my daughter. Her first without a co-signer. She asked me to go along and broker the deal.
(out on the lot)
Him: Are you willing to co-sign?
Me: Nope, this one is all hers. She's worked for it.
Him: It would be easier if you did.
Me: She has a PAL from the credit union.

(in his office)
Him: Are you willing to co-sign?
Me: No, I told you that out there. She has a PAL.
Him: Ok, if you give me your DL I'll run a credit check to see if I can get you qualified.
Me: She's already qualified, she has a PAL for more than the car and don't ask me to co-sign again or we're leaving.
Him: Here is the best deal I can do, now if you give me your DL we'll get the paperwork done.
Me: Stick the paperwork and the car up your a$$, we'll go to P'Cola or Milton where they understand English.
Him: No need to get nasty about it.
Me: You haven't seen nasty, bye.

After I calmed down and called the GM to let him know the saleman blew a $26K deal with his bs, the salesman called back in about 10 minutes with an apology and a $23K price.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:43 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I might get get flammed for this, but here goes, back in '02 when I was looking to get my sportster, was talking to a sales "lady" about an 883.(already had some hot rod plans for it) She asked "aren't you afraid that everyone will laugh at you for rideing a girls bike?" I asked what she rode, she told me she rode a lowrider. I looked somewhat dumbfounded and asked if that was a big twin, she said that it was. I gave her a "children of the corn" look and asked her "sounds like a big twin is a girls bike". She promptly stopped smileing. I did let the owner know about the questionable sales tacics and went to the next dealer and got my sportster.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:28 AM
Phurion
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zimbob
...back in '02 when I was looking to get my sportster, was talking to a sales "lady" about an 883.(already had some hot rod plans for it) She asked "aren't you afraid that everyone will laugh at you for rideing a girls bike?"
Isn't it? After all, it was designed specifically to target and appeal to the female rider market segment.

Guys just buy 'em (usually as their "first Harley") because they're more affordable.

I'd ride a metric before an 883. Then again, I'd ride a metric before I rode a Sporty at all. Sporties are too small for my comfort (and I'm not all that big really. 6' @ 220).

Old 10-08-2008, 10:50 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,415 Posts

I haven't really had any issues at a Harley dealership, but then I rode with alot of the sales guys.

I had a funny one at a metric dealer though. There was one right next to my office a few years ago, so I stopped in occasionally to check it out on my lunch break (or to buy stuff for my jetski). One sales guy tried the 'marking your territory with oil leaks and parts dropping off' when we were chatting and looking at a VTX (not interested, just checking it out). I just looked at him, laughed, and asked him if we just hit a time warp, because he was still living in the 70's. He didn't have much to say after that, and I still went in there every so often, smirked every time I saw him.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Went to a new dealership a couple of months ago and asked the service manager if they planned on a dyno cell. We eventually got on the subject of motor oil and i mentioned that I use Mobil1. He proudly announced that he was a transplant from Bartel's HD where they had many failures attributable to Mobil1 and that they (this new dealership) will only install HD Syn3. When I informed him that I've used M1 in every HD I've owned and have logged over 200,000 mi. with this product he promptly changed the subject. I didn't push it, but I never went back (and never got an answer on the dyno cell, either).

Old 10-08-2008, 11:36 AM
2whlr4life
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Arrow 2 part story

At a local HD shop. I was buying parts, a salesman (now gone I think/hope) followed me around like a birddog, telling me about his multiple Hd garage, what a rider he was, road stories (Sturgis).

Back in the shop a month later with my bro-in-law looking for a RoadKing, I saw that sales pimp and warned bro. Same stories, he was too busy yaking to remember me. Told the bro because of back problems had only ridden < 2000 miles over the last 2 summerz. He didn't tell me that... He'd say anything for the sale.

By the way, I turned my bro-in-law from the darkside; he was thinking about a snowmobile. He now has a nice 2004 Roadking Custom bought from a private party. "not that theres anything wrong with a snow machine".

Old 10-08-2008, 11:37 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had my bike in for servvice once(and also the last time...) and told the service writer that I wanted Red Line in all 3 holes. He started to tell me how Red Line isn't a good oil and they won't put it in my bike. I said, "Oh really...." and walked 20 feet to where they keep all the oils they sell and picked up all 3 Red Line oils I use and and said, "Hmmm.....that's funny, you seem to sell it but you're telling me it's a crappy oil?". The look on this dopes face was priceless. Long story short, they put it in the bike.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:43 AM
dlh62c
Advanced

Yes! It comes with a tool kit.

daryl

Old 10-08-2008, 11:48 AM
bjryman
Tourer
Default Lost Sale

When I took a day of vacation to visit the closest HD dealership from my home, I was all excited and itching to get my hands on my first Ultra Glide. When I entered the dealership no one would even approach me, and the Glides were kept behind rope barriers.

Finally, one of maintenance folks walked by and I asked if anyone would like to take my $26,000? He ran for the sales person (male) who asked me what I wanted. I explained that I had not ridden an Ultra and would like to take a demo out to see if I could handle the extra weight (I have fused backbone)

Guy said they had no demos, and I should just accept that the Glide is the best and buy it.

Left and went to the "old fashion" dealer 30 miles down the road who met me and my wife, talked about our needs for 30 minutes and proceeded to bring out a cherry red Ultra. He then said, that the only way I'll know for sure is to take this one for a ride....oh and don't worry about returning for a couple of hours!!

We were floored, did the ride, and bought the 105th the next day

The other dealer could have had it all....I PAID CASH!!!

Quick Reply: Most ignorant statement made by a salesman/saleswoman at a H-D dealership....