Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most ignorant statement made by a salesman/saleswoman at a H-D dealership....

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 12:31 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 705 Likes on 338 Posts

Up until last month I sold Hd's. Yeah, I heard alot of ignorant comments from some of my co-workers, and I'm sure was responsible for some myself. But it's real hard sometimes when you have a customer come in that has no idea about what bike they need. They haven't considered if it's for solo or two up riding, local or touring, fairing or not etc. As a sales rep, I start to go through the bikes, and many times just get a ignorant customer that has no idea, just wants a "Harley"

I can guarantee, as most other sales guys here will agree with, that the goof customer is always the one that starts the conversation with "I will pay cash", (even though if we ever do a deal the credit ends up being the major issue) then proceeds to complain about price, even before we get down to the numbers, and then will end up bitching about some part of the deal and complain to someone.

The ignorant statement is a two way deal. I know I worked damn hard to make every customer happy, as did most at our dealership.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:47 PM
Bingo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have dealt with the local dealership here in Southern Ontario Canada since 73. We went in last year to trade the 02 Standard for an 08 Road Glide. The salesman I had dealt with in the past had just retired and I had to deal with the Dealership Owners Son.

Sales: "I will give you 'X' for the trade, but I want the mechanics to look your bike over first"
Me:"OK, there is 90K on the bike, but it runs great, doesn't burn oil and everything works"
Sales, after mechanics look the bike over: "We are going to charge you another $1,583 to do the brakes, change the oil, replace some gaskets and do the tires on your trade in".
Me:"Why would I pay to refurb a bike then trade it in?"

We went out of town to a dealer that I had never been to before and we were treated royally. Been riding the 08 Road Glide since September 07 and won't darken the local dealers door again.

Note; The dealership where we purchased the bike invited everyone (and a guest) that bought an 08 to an evening out at a golf and country club. This included dinner and a motorcycle give away. The local dealership has only ever provided coffee and doughnuts for all the years I have dealt there!

Old 10-14-2008, 10:45 PM
ezryder62881
Tourer

Originally Posted by Phurion
Isn't it? After all, it was designed specifically to target and appeal to the female rider market segment.

Guys just buy 'em (usually as their "first Harley") because they're more affordable.

I'd ride a metric before an 883. Then again, I'd ride a metric before I rode a Sporty at all. Sporties are too small for my comfort (and I'm not all that big really. 6' @ 220).

My "first Harley" was a 1200 sportster. Does that make me a woman, or somehow feminine? And, yes, I bought it because thats all I could afford. Man--guess that makes you somehow a lot better than me cause you must make WAY more money.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:44 PM
goinsideways136
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Phurion
Former girl bike rider I take it?

I don't care HOW long it's been around. The 883 is to damn small and at some point even the Moco targeted the female rider market with their advertising, and guess which bike they used.

Yep, 883.

And yes, I DO know a little about the bike. The "cool" uncle I grew up idolizing rode them for many MANY years. Usually always had 3 or 4 of them in his garage along with a Low Rider. Guess what he rides now? UC. Yeh, even he calls the 883's "girl bikes" these days. So get over yourself.

Looks like you finally upgraded too.
sounds like you suffer bigbadassbiker syndrome. remember riding big bikes doesnt make your ***** bigger...

Old 10-15-2008, 12:05 AM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member
Default Who told you this?

You sure do a lot of banging on the folks in Yorktown...Who told you this, assuming it was there?
Originally Posted by DrPlastic
In light of the similar thread on service writers how about posting what salespersons said to you during the course of the buying process.

Had a salesman state that if their service depart does not do the services that it will void my warranty if I change my own oil!

WTF! Haven't they heard about Magnusson-Moss warranty act!

Old 10-15-2008, 04:37 AM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I never mentioned the folks at Yorktown in that thread. We know what "assume" means! But I have heard this from a few other car and bike centers in the area. The folks in Yorktown are great.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:43 PM
graham
Intermediate

I see that this is kind of an old thread and mean no ill feelings towards anyone who has had a bad experience with a salesman (or woman) whether it be on a bike or on a car. I am one of the "senior" sales guys at a Chevy dealership (just under a guy who has been here at our dealership for 36 years). The "cash price" is a tricky one for us sometimes. I say that 8 out of 10 times customers will ask for the "cash price". More often than not, he is still going to finance, which is totally fine! I am just a lowly salesman and the owner (and rightly so) don't trust me with money.... One of our newer sales guys gave someone a 'cash price' just today, and unfortunately, he gave him a price about $7500 below what we were IN TO the truck for, and $10,000 below what we were asking for it, which is about $11000 below Kelley Blue Book. You know what that guy did? He yelled at the kid, and told him, "you're nuts, no one would ever pay that much for that piece of junk"... If we give someone a "cash price", they are just going to negotiate more.

P.S. The same customer is in the finance office next to me buying the truck was next to it. We had his phone number and I called him back in here. I never gave him the "cash price" because I was able to show him WHY it cost as much as it did before he got a price. I would probably flip out too if someone told me something cost $27 grand without telling me why. JMO

Old 12-04-2008, 10:30 PM
bikergeoff
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In November of 07 I went to "Biker Bob's" H-D in Taylor, MI. to buy a tour pak latch. While I was waiting for their parts runner to find it in the back, I was looking at an 08 SG. A salesman approached and asked if I was interested. I said Maybe, what will you give me for my 01 Ultra in trade? They wheeled it into the service bay and looked it over, made a list of needed repairs and offered me $5,500.00. I asked why so low and they said it needed $2,750.00 worth of repairs due to oil leaks. Sounded like BS to me, since the bike never left behind any puddles or used more than a 1/2 a quart of oil in 3,000 miles. So I said, well since I have the extended warranty, fix it. I'll gladly pay my $50.00 deductible. The salesman and the service writer just looked at each other, dumbfounded.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:57 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by jcbpa
"Can I show you a new pair of panties for your wife?"
Sure, if you'll model them. I think that leather thong might look kind of cool.

... Oops ... I should have read the rest of the responses first. Seems my thought was not so original.

Last edited by MidnitEvil; 12-05-2008 at 02:08 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:07 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
Car dealership:
Back in 2001 I decided to get a second play car, a Camero convertible. I went into the Chevy dealership in Memphis, TN and asked "What's the cash price on that red Camero convertible on the front row?" The salesman said "Cash Price? It would be easier for us if you financed it". I said "WHAT?" He said "Yes it would be easier for us to do the finance work, than have to deposite your check". I was dumbfouned. I talked to him about 15 minutes trying to get a cash price, on a new car they had on their lot and never got a cash price.
One of the methods of tracking and identifying criminals is via car sales. If you pay cash (or hand over a check) for a car, there is required reporting. It's easier for the dealer, and you, if they finance the vehicle.

Additionally, dealers make money on financing, so, walking in waving handfuls of cash doesn't impress them they way a lot of people seem to think it should.

Quick Reply: Most ignorant statement made by a salesman/saleswoman at a H-D dealership....