Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Tender

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 12:50 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

09s come prewired with the battery tender quick disconnect. At least my FLTR did. Saves you from having to wire it to the battery.

http://batterytender.com/default.php...a10fea756393cd

Last edited by RODEO; 10-12-2008 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:26 PM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Takes 1 min to install the quick connect to the battery and most tenders come with it. Got mine on ebay and it came with a free extension cord and free shipping for $39

Old 10-12-2008, 01:42 PM
hawg08
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
The picture posted above is a Battery Tender Jr. Note it has 750 ma charge. The full size Battery Tender Plus has 1.25 Amp...nearly twice as powerfull. Harley's version is a Jr.
The 750ma unit has always worked for me. The bigger 1.25a unit is quite a bit bulkier. I keep mine plugged in when I'm not riding and when I come in from a ride it only takes 5 minutes or so for it to come back to a full charge. It automatically shuts down when the battery is at full charge so 750ma is more than adequate.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:48 PM
StrongIslander
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Deepsouth251
Battery Tenders are going to be even more important now since they changed up the way the security system on touring bikes works. They automatically engage and stay on in the garage as soon as you walk away from them. Unless some genius can figure out a way to install some gadget to keep it disengaged when ever you would like it to be.
There is an HD procedure to turn your security system off, I don't recall if it was posted on the forum or elsewhere (maybe the owner manual). Still think you're better off with the tender and security on, I use the Tender Plus with the Quick Connect all winter, can't beat it.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:26 PM
Deepsouth251
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StrongIslander
There is an HD procedure to turn your security system off, I don't recall if it was posted on the forum or elsewhere (maybe the owner manual). Still think you're better off with the tender and security on, I use the Tender Plus with the Quick Connect all winter, can't beat it.
According to the manual, the bike must be connected to a battery tender when stored for any extended period of time. "Extended" not defined. To avoid drain on battery by the security system. Only alternative is to disconnect the neg battery terminal. According to the manual there is no procedure to turn it off.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:34 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Even on a bike without a security system, if you have a sound system, juice is being used, to run the clock if nothing else.

I agree wtih Hawg08--if you always plug it in, it does not take more than a few minutes to bring your battery back to full charge. If it takes a Plus five minutes, it will only take a Junior 10 minutes. The important thing is that you use it every time you park your bike for more than a day, to keep the battery from even starting to sulfate.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Deepsouth251
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just thinking outloud about how the on all the time sec system would affect me. We ride 12 months per year. I bought a battery tender couple of years ago. It's still sitting on my desk in the office at home. Reason why is procrastination and all thru the winter I still ride every week or so. Weather will switch to 60-70 degree days almost anytime. My problem will of course be solved by getting off my azz and putting it on the bike. I just like to have the option of turning my own chit on or off. I have thought of trying to make headlight where I can leave it off in the day time. My wife usually puts up the outside xmas decorations in tank top/shorts and no shoes.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:05 PM
D34
Tourer

I have the Battery Tender Jr. got it with the bike. It is very easy and I have mine on when not riding.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:15 PM
8upFLHRI
Advanced

harbor freight has a version that goes on sale every few weeks for about $5.00 . it brought my weak 8 year old interstate gel battery back to life in my cobra last year and is still working great. i bought another one for the harley and made my own quick connect harness from a trailer hitch wire.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:19 PM
Lucky 13
Road Master

If you have a Pep Boys Auto Parts store around, they sell the Battery Tender Jr. for $29.99. Regular every day price.

Quick Reply: Battery Tender