Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam tensioners/cam plate pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Neil
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Cam tensioners/cam plate pics

Hey guys, here are the pictures of the cam tensioners and cam plate from my bike. Can you guess which was the inner tensioner? LOL! As I said, the inner one was trashed. I do have some questions though. Based on the design of the oil pump and cam plate interaction, is the amount of scoring on the cam plate due to normal oil pump operation? I haven't yet cleaned up the oil pump to check for marks, but, it looked okay on initial inspection. The marks left are detectable but not real deep. Any help would be appreciated. I hope to not have to replace it.

Everything else looks okay as well. No debris except in the cam chest. The inner chain shows no marks at all from the tensioner fram riding on it. I don't have a pile of cash to throw at this thing right now. I would like to replace the tensioners, inner bearings, and cam bearings and button it back up for a while until I can save the money needed to punch it out and add gear drive cams. Let me know your opinions.

Neil
RDMC

Attached Thumbnails Cam tensioners/cam plate pics-100_1557.jpg   Cam tensioners/cam plate pics-100_1560.jpg   Cam tensioners/cam plate pics-100_1559.jpg  
Old 10-13-2008, 01:08 PM
TheBagger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That plate looks like it has some pretty deep scoring from the oil pump. If it was me I would replace the plate and pump. Some of the metal from your tensioner has gone through the pump and that's probably why you have that deep scoring. If you put it back together the way it is your oil pressure will likely suffer, not to mention that you now have to rough surfaces moving against each other. It's bound to get worse. Don't forget that your relief valve will need to be checked out as it can get sticky from all that debris in the oil, if you use that old plate.

Last edited by TheBagger; 10-13-2008 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:28 PM
aclass
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Neil, I think the scoring comes from Harley's design on the oil pump, thos wave washers between the gerators cause them to press on the plate. The Fueling pump doesnt use the wave washers.
Glad you got those things outa there.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:54 PM
Neil
Road Captain

aclass,
I figured the design that Harley uses would have to leave some marks on the plate. Like I said, you can feel the marks with you finger nail, but, they don't seem real deep. I would guess that they are from normal use, but, that is why I post these questions here. Keep the opinions coming, I have some decsions to make soon. If I need to try to take more pictures I can try to get a better shot of them.

Neil
RDMC

Old 10-13-2008, 03:19 PM
lazybee
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

How many miles on those tensioners?

Old 10-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Neil
Road Captain

Just turned 32,000. I should have checked them last year like I had planned. HD really should help those of us that are not under warranty. If you walk into a shop with tensioners like these you should at least get new ones for nothing and maybe some gaskets. (I know dreaming, but would be nice)

Neil
RDMC

Old 10-13-2008, 03:56 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Neil
Just turned 32,000. I should have checked them last year like I had planned. HD really should help those of us that are not under warranty. If you walk into a shop with tensioners like these you should at least get new ones for nothing and maybe some gaskets. (I know dreaming, but would be nice)

Neil
RDMC

Ask the CVO guys about their 110 gasket, cylinder issues before you asume Harley might help with those of us with TC88's!!!!

I went to gear drive in both of my TC's, one at 25,000 miles, the other at 33,000,

Poor, poor, design,

Now, to the positive,

How bout that IDS???????

Old 10-13-2008, 04:49 PM
jaymcgil19
Tourer

I would post in the wtb section for a good used cam plate. I gave one away for shipping. Lots of them just lying around.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:01 PM
Cajun King
Road Master

I just changed my tensioners at 20k. Both had about the same wear as your outer tensioner. I plan to check them every 10K now and the next time they need replacement, going with gear drive.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:35 PM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil
Hey guys, here are the pictures of the cam tensioners and cam plate from my bike. Can you guess which was the inner tensioner? LOL! As I said, the inner one was trashed. I do have some questions though. Based on the design of the oil pump and cam plate interaction, is the amount of scoring on the cam plate due to normal oil pump operation? I haven't yet cleaned up the oil pump to check for marks, but, it looked okay on initial inspection. The marks left are detectable but not real deep. Any help would be appreciated. I hope to not have to replace it.

Everything else looks okay as well. No debris except in the cam chest. The inner chain shows no marks at all from the tensioner fram riding on it. I don't have a pile of cash to throw at this thing right now. I would like to replace the tensioners, inner bearings, and cam bearings and button it back up for a while until I can save the money needed to punch it out and add gear drive cams. Let me know your opinions.

Neil
RDMC
whats the background here? year, make, model, miles,symptoms of failure????would be interesting to see the new parts next to the old.

Quick Reply: Cam tensioners/cam plate pics