Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quick easy way to lube clutch cable

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 10:18 AM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I was told by 3 different HD service managers(1 here in the states and 2 in Canada ) that we are NOT supposed to lube the cables on bikes that have cruise control. That the lube, whatever you use, will get into the safety switches for the cruise control and short them out causing your cruise control to not set. I had a problem with my cruise control and that was the first thing they all asked, "Did you just lube your cables?"

Old 10-24-2008, 10:53 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by biz44
I like your idea....and the price is right for sure. I just like this a bit better.
I have had one of these in my box for over 25 years. Just use your choice of spray cable lube via the red spray nozzle/spout thing that always comes with the lube spray can (the ones you usually cant find after the first time you use it). You stick one end of the spout in the spray can and the other end in the hole in the tool. When you spray the lube in the entire cable sheath is pressurized. Just keep spraying until you see a bit of lube come out the bottom of the cable.
I am still going to try your set up just for kicks though!

You must know something I don't. I've been using one of those cable lubers on my dirt bikes for over 30 years but have never been able to make it work on an HD clutch cable because of that big eyelet on the end. How do you make it work?
Wouldn't it also be a good idea to lube the clutch cable with the same oil you use in your gearbox in case you overlube the cable? That way you would avoid contaminating your tranny oil.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:04 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
You must know something I don't. I've been using one of those cable lubers on my dirt bikes for over 30 years but have never been able to make it work on an HD clutch cable because of that big eyelet on the end. How do you make it work?
Wouldn't it also be a good idea to lube the clutch cable with the same oil you use in your gearbox in case you overlube the cable? That way you would avoid contaminating your tranny oil.
There is another version of this same tool on the market. I forgot where I got it since I have had it for some time now, and that is the only one that will fit on a HD clutch cable and fit correctly.
Like I said using the Dri-Slide is a much better option for the type of cable we are talking about in this case....a HD one.
So little of the lube would get into the tranny, I seriously doubt that it would "contaminate" the trans lube.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:19 PM
tallboy56
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I figured Dawg would repost his method. The only thing I did differently was pressurize the bag of oil by hand. Thanks again Dawg...

Old 06-11-2009, 08:28 PM
skydoc
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lubit-8 Needle Oiler with TEFLON

Last edited by skydoc; 06-11-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago Spike
I was told by 3 different HD service managers(1 here in the states and 2 in Canada ) that we are NOT supposed to lube the cables on bikes that have cruise control. That the lube, whatever you use, will get into the safety switches for the cruise control and short them out causing your cruise control to not set. I had a problem with my cruise control and that was the first thing they all asked, "Did you just lube your cables?"
I would like to hear more about lubing cables on bikes W/cruise. Anybody?

Old 06-11-2009, 11:53 PM
dgretz
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the dry lube stuff. 10+ years no problems

Old 06-12-2009, 12:00 AM
OG1
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dionicio
the only cable sensor on a cruise bike is in the idle cable on the throttle. lubing the clutch cable or throttle pull cable will not affect cruise operation whatsoever.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dionicio
I have cruise ('07 FLHTC) and I have lubed both the throttle cable and idle cable per the service manual without having problems afterward with cruise. Section 1.11 for cable lubrication has notes regarding steps to take with the friction shoe if the bike is a NON cruise equipped model that don't apply to cruise equipped models.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:09 AM
Raaze07
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tip - I've been using Dry-Slide myself for a couple of years, the old service manager at my dealership mentioned it to me. That seems to do the trick just fine.

Quick Reply: quick easy way to lube clutch cable