Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H Monster Oval Install STEP BY STEP

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 04:02 PM
Raaze07
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those look fantastic, any chance you can post a video so we can hear what they sound like? I don't want anything obnoxiously loud, but a deep rumble sounds perfect.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:03 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by r8rs4lf
Nice instructional. When I installed mine, I had the left muffler move out further from where it was initially installed. What I did was place it back in the original spot, tighten the clamp, took the bike out for a ride to warm it up, got home, waited for it to cool down and re-tightened it again. It hasn't moved since. Just something to let you know just in case it happens to you.

Oh ya, those black tips look great. They would look even better on my bike. You ready to trade?
With the rear muffler brackets offset so much like they are, I can easily see these cans trying to move. Thats why getting them straight in the first place takes some trial and error (or another set of eyes like I had). I wanted the black tips because I figured the exhaust would eventually want to blacken the tips anyway, at least the inside of them. Besides, I think the black accent compliments my bike. Once the rain stops over the next few days I'll get her out for a ride and then recheck all the fasteners and heat shields too.

If I were you, keep posting in the MO threads and hope that someone would be willing to order my cans and trade you for the chromed tips. Also, the thing is that the black tipped models are less expensive then all chromed or the black mufflers too. So that could be attractive to someone else to trade you, although it's only like a $20 difference.
The 2009s are more money then the older years too.

Last edited by RODEO; 11-08-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:05 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Raaze07
Those look fantastic, any chance you can post a video so we can hear what they sound like? I don't want anything obnoxiously loud, but a deep rumble sounds perfect.
There already are a few floating around but I do want to make my own. maybe later today. I was surprised that they were louder then I expected, but not obnoxious. Great sounding though...

Old 11-08-2008, 04:23 PM
rick
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have them on my 08 RKC,and getting them straight was probably the most difficult part.

Attached Thumbnails V&H Monster Oval Install STEP BY STEP-08rkc-1.jpg  
Old 11-08-2008, 04:26 PM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Saturday Night Special
If I were you, keep posting in the MO threads and hope that someone would be willing to order my cans and trade you for the chromed tips. Also, the thing is that the black tipped models are less expensive then all chromed or the black mufflers too. So that could be attractive to someone else to trade you, although it's only like a $20 difference.
The 2009s are more money then the older years too.
I talked to V&H back in the day and they told me they would be selling just the tips in Febuary so it's not a big deal. I'll get them eventually, but if someone wants to trade, cool.......................

Your right about the tips being blacked up from exhaust. Even more so since I flipped the tips and now the longer edge is facing up.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:39 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Old 11-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Ummagumma
Road Master

Received 1,272 Likes on 584 Posts

For those who've had the Monsters for awhile; has it effected your gas mileage? I've got a '09 RG in the Orange Pearl and in the process of blacking it out instead of chroming. I'd like to go with the MO's in black but don't want to lose the mpg as I do alot of touring. Any input is appreciated.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:34 PM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior

Those videos don't do the pipes justice at all! They sound 10X better in person. I don't know if they get louder as time goes by, but mine aren't that quiet and I know it's because it's on video.

Did you get all that smoke yet? When you take it out for a ride, you'll notice they will smoke for a while.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:50 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

The smoke is because I believe the internals have a light coating of oil or corrosion inhibitor and that burns off. I noticed an oily substance when I reversed the end caps and although I only ran the motor for a few brief minutes to make those videos, I did see smoke starting before I shut her down. I agree, the videos do not pick up all the "sound" of these mufflers. I can't wait to get her on the road tomorrow maybe (after it dries up outside) to hear it and to road test them.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:50 AM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for this great tread! I`ll will go for the monster ovals!

Quick Reply: V&H Monster Oval Install STEP BY STEP