Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H Monster Oval Install STEP BY STEP

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 12:54 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V&H Monster Oval Install STEP BY STEP

Rainy day project here in New Jersey, I decided to install my new Monster Ovals and share a few photos and tips:

TWO short Videos here:
http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z...t=MVI_0642.flv

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z...t=MVI_0648.flv

These Cans are HUGE and HEAVY too!
-

The first thing I did was pull off the end caps and reverse them, using lock-tite on the two allen head screws. The Caps have holes on both sides so you can use the same cap on the same pipe but the pipe itself only has two holes. Just turn the cap over (if desired) and reinstall it.
-

The Mufflers come with complete hardware and V&H even supplies new muffler "clamps" which was a nice surprise. I hear you should never reuse muffler clamps.
-

The stock factory mufflers have an indented part to clear the axle nut and movement.
-

V&H changed the 2009 Monsters by either relocating the rear bracket and / or cutting the heat shield so it doesn't interfere.
-

The rear bracket is replaced with the V&H supplied one, only the rubber is retained. You can see the heat shield located to clear the axle nut.
-

The hardest part of the installation is getting these pipes straight. They said to tighten the rear nuts first then do the muffler clamps. I myself first tightened the muffler clamps half way to help hold alignment then I used two extra people to assist me. One I had sit on the bike and hold it upright straight and the other person about 12 feet behind the bike to look at the alignment while I adjusted the mufflers and did the final tightening. At this point I lock-tited the rear bolts and tightened them completely and then moved to the muffler clamps and tightened them completely.
-

Before replacing your saddlebags or starting your bike, first be sure to wipe the pipes, heat shields and head pipes down with rubbing alcohol to remove any finger prints or oils which could permanently stain the chrome.
-

They sound AWESOME!
-

-

Last edited by RODEO; 11-08-2008 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:02 PM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

those are huge. looks great. i'm siting here to. looking at the rain where did you get them from?

Old 11-08-2008, 01:07 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

I thought I ordered them from Eastern, but I didn't I got them from West End Motorsports, $683.95 delivered.

Model # 16753 for 2009s, Chrome w/ Black tips

Old 11-08-2008, 01:07 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Ya, nice post, and pix. Simple enough, and great looking once completed.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:47 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Old 11-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Those things were MADE for the Road Glide! I heard a pair the other day and I don't think I have ever heard a deeper, more pleasant muffler on a Harley. Your install has definitely inspired lust....

Old 11-08-2008, 02:23 PM
BDHE
Cruiser

Interesting series of pictures -- thanks for posting! I'm a little concerned that it took three people to get them straight.

A set of these are on a UPS truck headed for my house right now. $595 and shipping from M&M Cycle (419-624-8739).

Bryon

Old 11-08-2008, 02:36 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BDHE
Interesting series of pictures -- thanks for posting! I'm a little concerned that it took three people to get them straight.

A set of these are on a UPS truck headed for my house right now. $595 and shipping from M&M Cycle (419-624-8739).

Bryon
Yea but for the extra 90 bucks the other two "helpers" came with the mufflers, so why now use the help if ya got it right?

Old 11-08-2008, 02:39 PM
BDHE
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Saturday Night Special
Yea but for the extra 90 bucks the other two "helpers" came with the mufflers, so why now use the help if ya got it right?
SNS;

OK, I admit it -- you did have it all figured out!

Bryon

Old 11-08-2008, 03:53 PM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior

Nice instructional. When I installed mine, I had the left muffler move out further from where it was initially installed. What I did was place it back in the original spot, tighten the clamp, took the bike out for a ride to warm it up, got home, waited for it to cool down and re-tightened it again. It hasn't moved since. Just something to let you know just in case it happens to you.

Oh ya, those black tips look great. They would look even better on my bike. You ready to trade?

Last edited by r8rs4lf; 11-08-2008 at 03:55 PM.

Quick Reply: V&H Monster Oval Install STEP BY STEP