Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour Pack or Luggage Rack?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 11:23 AM
stevja1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tour Pack or Luggage Rack?

Hey all -

I recently acquired an FLHTPI ElectraGlide. I've replaced the air-ride seat with a comfort stich, and now I'm trying to figure out what to do for the backrest for my wife.

The bike is white, (not Pearl white, just white). I can't get a color matched tour pack, so I'd have to repaint the whole bike, (or live with a two-colored paint).

I'm tempted to get a sissy bar with a luggage rack and then just strap all of my stuff onto the back.

The things my wife really likes about the tour pack is the wrap around seat and the speakers.

I'm thinking next month I'm going to get the sissy bar. Can anybody think of any good reasons no go the tour pack route instead?

Thanks,
Jared

Old 11-18-2008, 11:31 AM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevja1

The things my wife really likes about the tour pack is the wrap around seat and the speakers.

I'm thinking next month I'm going to get the sissy bar. Can anybody think of any good reasons no go the tour pack route instead?

Thanks,
Jared

Number one reason is your wife likes the seat!!!! End of discussion!

Old 11-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Congratulations on the new bike. The bike color is "Birch white" and you can order a HD King Tour Pak in birch white. You will need to buy the backrest as it is sold seperately.

You can mount the TP on the bike after removing the black radio box mount, but retaining the chrome rack. You'll need to lift the box about 3/4" with spacers/bushings to provide clearance to open the saddlebags with the TP on the bike. Or, you can buy the HD detachable rack and hardware and make the box detachable.

Good luck with your project.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:49 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I would put detachable mounting kits on and get a detachable backrest with luggage rack and a tour pak. That is what I did.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:49 AM
stevja1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Congratulations on the new bike. The bike color is "Birch white" and you can order a HD King Tour Pak in birch white. You will need to buy the backrest as it is sold seperately.

You can mount the TP on the bike after removing the black radio box mount, but retaining the chrome rack. You'll need to lift the box about 3/4" with spacers/bushings to provide clearance to open the saddlebags with the TP on the bike. Or, you can buy the HD detachable rack and hardware and make the box detachable.

Good luck with your project.
Awesome info. I was kind of hoping I could use that chrome rack to mount stuff, but I wasn't sure if it would work or not. Glad to know that it does.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:01 PM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't spoil her, just kidding, my wife likes riding w just the backrest. I like the feel (handling) and looks of the bike w/o the tourpak. They weight 26 lbs. w/o the speakers and the weight is behind the axle. I can be ready for two up in a couple minutes. I even sloted the ends of my detachable brackets so that they can come off by loosening the two bolt and takeing the one bolt out. Also the cost may help you decide since the tour pak w speakers is going to be alot more. Congrads and enjoy.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:55 PM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Remember...black goes with everything. IMO...a black tourpak on a white bike would not look out of place.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:00 PM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd go with the tour-pak...well in fact i did I like the ability to have it off for around town riding, with a sissy bar for when the wife is with me, or with a Stripper seat and no sissybar if i'm alone, and then if we are heading out for a few days, Touring seat and Tour-pak makes for a comfortable ride. I enjoy the versatility, and i think you would too

Old 11-18-2008, 01:21 PM
Silverstone
Tourer

Why not consider one of the leather Road King tour-packs?

Old 11-18-2008, 03:43 PM
prestaino
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 07 Standard and put on a removable Tour Pack and back rest .... when on a long trip I pop on the Tour Pack... Around the area slip it off and on with the Backrest... Works great U won't regret it...
Pat

Quick Reply: Tour Pack or Luggage Rack?