Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropped my 09 RK today....

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 04:16 PM
swirvin1234
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Dropped my 09 RK today....

Sad to say I dropped my new RK today with the wife attempting to get on the back. We were leaving a local lunch spot and I backed the bike out and stopped for her to get on back. She grabbed my arm to get better leverage and put all of her weight on the passenger floorboard. I wasn't quite ready for her to jump on back and over we went (left side). The kicker was that there was a police officer sitting in the parking lot and after this happened he drove up and asked if I needed help. By that time I had my butt in the seat and was pushing the bike up. Wife was pretty shaken by the whole ordeal and I tried my best to keep my cool, not to rattle her any more. The officer didn't even get out of the car and just drove off once the bike was upright and we confirmed we were good to go. We rode home in silence and my wife appoligized quite a bit when we got home and settled. Even though it was her fault, I didn't want to scare her anymore and brushed it off as no big deal.

Now inside I am kicking and screaming that this happened but after doing some searches here it is a pretty common occurence. I checked out the bike after my wife went inside and only noticed scrape marks on the left side engine guard and the saddle bag guard. The mirror was out of place on the left side initially but I don't know if I bumped it when I picked up the bike. The left floor board was also pulled upward but didn't show damage. (I checked the right floor board and it also hinges, Didn't even know that the were supposed to move up and down!!)

Anything else I should look for in terms of damage. It really only looks like cosmetic scratches on the guards which I can live with, but want to make sure I am looking for everything.

Definitely humbled me and learned from it, just hope it doesn't happen again...

Old 11-29-2008, 04:23 PM
trippy57
Cruiser

Don't know how long you've been riding and going 2 up, but when a passenger is getting ready to get on mine, I make sure they know BEFORE they get on to ask if I'm ready for them to get on........JMHO......glad you didn't get more damage!

Old 11-29-2008, 04:23 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You were just sitting there so nothing more than cosmetics and pride were hurt. I dumped mine in the garage when I thought I'd put the jiffy stand out all the way,....not. Kinda comical in a way, knowing I screwed up as it's going over, & over & over....Just gently set it down, the highway peg and bag bars touched (not "hit") the garage floor, absolutely no damage or scarring what so ever. I was lucky that time. Found out it is possible to pick up by myself though...whew!

Old 11-29-2008, 04:24 PM
brihvac
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I would calmly make it a point to tell her that she should never climb on until you tell her its ok. My GF always asks if its ok now.

Old 11-29-2008, 04:32 PM
hdbe
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it happens...and i bet she feels worse about it than you do... I'd say you handled it well!!!! gotta love those engine guards!!!

Old 11-29-2008, 04:32 PM
spizzyman
Road Master

I can honestly say that something like that never did not happen to my wife and I at a Bakersfield Taco Bell in front of God and everybody. Really, it never did not happen at all. And the Gold Winger that did not refuse to offer to help us upright the bike did not laugh at all. Although I cannot say the same for the other 30 people in the parking lot. I was not on a Harley at the time.

**** happens to the best riders. All of us forget our mind from time to time. The trick is not letting it happen when it can get you killed. Sorry about the sctratches to your new bike but at least now you do not have to worry about getting the first scratch.

spiz

Old 11-29-2008, 04:33 PM
swirvin1234
Advanced

Thanks for the advice, and it has been our normal proceedure. I ride 2 up more than 50%of the time with her and we have been riding together for years. For some reason she didn't ask me this time and this was the end result. Hence, she felt to blame. We were fortunate to get out of its way so we didn't get hurt. Cosmetic damage and pride does hurt too!

Old 11-29-2008, 04:35 PM
pounder35
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default had a couple close calls

specially when your not expecting it they just hop on there after me yelling or snapping at her she always makes sure i'm ready

good thing nothing broke

Old 11-29-2008, 04:42 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Ahem, it is your fault that you did not instruct here how to mount the bike in a two up situation. Dont be pissed at her.That being said, welcome to the club, its a big one, gotta love the saddlebag guards and highway bars. Just dont make it a habit.

Old 11-29-2008, 04:43 PM
EGlideKid
Road Master

Swirvin,
Hey man, it's happened to most of us - if not all of us. Sooner or later, she's gonna tip over. You got this one out of the way while sitting still, which is the best way for it to happen, and I'm glad nothing got hurt but your pride, which will heal - trust me. I tipped my new Ultra cause it was still new and still tough to find neutral. For some stupid reason I was fighting with the shift lever when we came to a dead stop at a light and before I could get my foot down, she had tipped left past the point of no return. Cars in front and behind me. It really bummed me out, but like you I told myself it would never happen again. You live and learn. Now if I can't find neutral quick enough I keep the clutch pulled until both feet are on the ground.
You and your wife will get a system down pat. I'm proud of you for not laying a guilt trip on her. That back seat rider is the best thing that's happened to us drivers, especially when they love to ride like us. Take her out and do something special with her.
In the meantime, your bike is probably hurt way less than you are. They can take it.
Hang in there and keep the rubber side DOWN!
EGK

Quick Reply: Dropped my 09 RK today....