Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changining oil on a motorcyle jack?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 10:16 PM
08HD
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changining oil on a motorcyle jack?

While combing through some threads I ran across the difficulty in changing oil with motorcycle jack. What is the trick or the solution to this? Also how is that this filter funnel, has anyone tried it?

Attached Thumbnails Changining oil on a motorcyle jack?-ea0e_1.jpg  
Old 12-04-2008, 11:35 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 08HD
While combing through some threads I ran across the difficulty in changing oil with motorcycle jack. What is the trick or the solution to this? Also how is that this filter funnel, has anyone tried it?
I just put news paper under the bike and slide my pan under the bike on papers on the floor. Don't need no stinkin' jack to change oil! I just fold a little news paper to go under the filter and bend it to hit the pan with the oil. A rag will get the little oil that still gets on the bike. I keep extra O-rings for the drain plugs in case one is bad. Ain't Rocket Science.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:39 AM
08HD
Road Captain

Thanks Northside........every little bit helps at this point. This will be my first oil change myself.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:42 AM
max56
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

J&S sells an oil drip pan for their jacks. With that you can change all three holes at the same time. Piece of cake.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:46 AM
16X9 Shooter
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have filter funnel. Works okay. Works better if bike is on jiffy stand...leaned over. Keeps front motor mount from getting oil on it.

Also heard of guys using cut up soda bottles made of plastic. Also aluminum foil.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:12 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The trick is not to change your oil on a lift. The solution to the mess is to time your oil changes before a wash......I just change my oil, let it run everywhere, spray the mess with WD-40 to cut the oil and then give her a soapy wash as usual.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:49 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
The trick is not to change your oil on a lift. The solution to the mess is to time your oil changes before a wash......I just change my oil, let it run everywhere, spray the mess with WD-40 to cut the oil and then give her a soapy wash as usual.
+1

The harder I try to keep from getting oil on the bike, the more it gets covered. I make a poor attempt to keep the oil off, then ride it to the car wash. Hit it with the pressure washer to get the oil off around the filter and underneath, then come home and clean the water spots.

I have a jack but don't use it for oil changes. Plenty of room to get a pan underneath with out it.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:32 AM
ranman469
Road Master

i use a jack for the change. an easy tip is to double up some alumni foil to use like the funnel in the pic. keeps it clean

Old 12-05-2008, 09:11 AM
racklefratz
Road Master

Originally Posted by EdwardK
I have a jack but don't use it for oil changes. Plenty of room to get a pan underneath with out it.
Ahhh, but the *right* jack simplifies the process a lot. As someone else already mentioned, a *J&S* jack and the accessory oil drain pan designed for it makes everything so much more elegant - at least, as elegant as changing oil can be. And having the drain plugs at eye-level is soooooo much easier than removing and replacing them using the "Braille" method.

Last edited by racklefratz; 12-05-2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:48 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I believe HD put the oil pan drain plugs on the left corner of the pan galley so you will get a better drain when the bike is on the kickstand. Same thing for the primary.

Quick Reply: Changining oil on a motorcyle jack?