Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Company Just Cut Off Our Retirement and Matching 401K

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 07:54 PM
EGlideKid
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Company Just Cut Off Our Retirement and Matching 401K

It's a sign of the times, I guess, and it was a really flippin' fine Christmas present finding out today that the people I give a healthy chunk of my life to are no longer going to provide for my old age. No more matching funds to our 401K, AND, they're freezing our pension plans after January, so YIPPEE... I get to work the rest of my life with no hopes of adding to my present meager monthly retirement.
To top it off, it's too crappy and cold to ride the scoot to work, which is rapidly becoming one of life's meager pleasures.
I know there's a bunch of you out there in the same boat as me know, and it sucks our wonderful country is going to the dogs like this, but it's comforting to know we can still travel anywhere we want, we're free, and we ride the best thing on 2 wheels.
Here's to all us hard working fools, and the bikes we love!
EGK

Old 12-16-2008, 08:01 PM
notlost_nc
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely a bummer. There's not too many folks this bad economy hasn't affected. At least you still have a paying gig. Times will get better, spring is just around the corner.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:05 PM
D34
Tourer

Still have the job, that's a good thing. I guess time to invest for yourself and not the man.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:06 PM
wildman3699
Tourer

I hear ya' brother.The company that I put 23yrs. of my life in bankrupted twice in the last three years.The company that bought us out took away our insurance, my five weeks of vacation,and has no retirement program.We are now independant operators with no benies[and I do mean no benies] and working six days and sometimes seven days a week.With the economy the way it is right now it's just a bitter pill I have to swallow.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by EGlideKid
It's a sign of the times, I guess, and it was a really flippin' fine Christmas present finding out today that the people I give a healthy chunk of my life to are no longer going to provide for my old age. No more matching funds to our 401K, AND, they're freezing our pension plans after January, so YIPPEE... I get to work the rest of my life with no hopes of adding to my present meager monthly retirement.
To top it off, it's too crappy and cold to ride the scoot to work, which is rapidly becoming one of life's meager pleasures.
I know there's a bunch of you out there in the same boat as me know, and it sucks our wonderful country is going to the dogs like this, but it's comforting to know we can still travel anywhere we want, we're free, and we ride the best thing on 2 wheels.
Here's to all us hard working fools, and the bikes we love!
EGK
Yeah, humm...nice...you got it rough.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:22 PM
flgator529
Tourer

I'm have to sell property's that I own, that are my only forum retirement just to say in business and keep my employes. Have not drawn a pay check in over a year. It's tough out there.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:56 PM
rfultra
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Prayers here for our nation.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:57 PM
Yachtman
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

No offense meant to you as I feel sorry for all the people who's lives are changing from the current economy. Yours, mine, theirs and on and on.

But that being said, I'll guess that there are many on this forum who don't have a 401 at all, and lot's with no pension plans at all. And we all 'give a healthy chunk of our lives', and not everyones boss is 'providing' for their old age. How dare you.

I don't mean to throw FLGator under the bus here, but do you think a man like this, who sells his personal property to keep his employees, and hasn't taken a paycheck in a year, wants to really hear about you're not getting your 'matching funds' right now? (sorry to use you FL, but any upstanding man like you will do, you're the first one to come to my mind) But I'm sure he still feels for you, as do I.

So now it's time to start you own pension fund, retirement fund and etc, and not complain to the others less fortunate than you that you're 'not getting you old age provided for'. How can you afford to still 'travel anywhere you want'? WHAT? Sell your beautiful HD ride and invest the money. There's your first step back on the road to 'self-retirement-plan'. Why would you say that you have no 'hopes' of adding to your meager retirement plan. If it's meager, who's fault is that? Sounds to me like you were riding the coattails of others for all these years! If you still have a job, you can still provide for you family, and still provide for your retirement. Just refocus your efforts and your money. You still have a job!!! Take the next 15 days, get drunk, and on Jan 2nd, get on with it!

And I'm sure people are going to **** on me for saying all of the above, but it's the truth. Now it's time for us all, that's ALL of us, to stop complaining, and push all the other crap heads, Americans or not, out of the freaking way and make the USA great again!

I know it's easy to bitch, but I'm not sure if this is the right part of the forum to do it.

Now can someone hold my elbow while I carefully get off this damn box. You can get a nosebleed up here!

Last edited by Yachtman; 12-16-2008 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Spelling, of course!
Old 12-16-2008, 09:05 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that EGK, but at least you still have a job. Truth is we'll all be working longer than we once thought. Retirement, as our parents knew it, may be a thing of the past.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:11 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

I have not had any work in almost 3 months, the only ones we see working are the ilegals, which is really getting old. I have 4 full timers with familys, they are sick and tired of seeing workers form another country who came here ilegaly taking there work, and mine.

There are plenty and I mean plenty of Americans who want and need to work. No one in Washington is listening..........

Quick Reply: My Company Just Cut Off Our Retirement and Matching 401K