Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idleing on Wheeldock Center Stand

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 04:32 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Idleing on Wheeldock Center Stand

Originally Posted by onlythebest
I have the wheeldock center stand and the pitbull lift and it works fine. Fits right between with no problem. I dont use the lift as much as I thought I would but I do use the center stand daily and love it. DO NOT let the bike idle on the center stand, it WILL fall!!! I found out the hard way and almost had a heart attack when I say the bike falling, lucky for me the jiffy stand was deployed and caught it!
Originally Posted by onlythebest

OTB

I was looking into getting a jack stand for my Ultra and doing a search around the forum to see if the J & S will wok alright with my Wheeldock center stand.

Then I ran into this (above) post. I've had my center stand on for about 2 weeks now and love it. But it's been snowing so I havn't had a reason to fire up the bike. I guess I always assumed there wouldn't be any problem idleing the bike on the stand.

Anybody else have any issues or concerns about this?

Maybe Rod at Wheel dock can toss out his .02 on this?

Thanks.

Old 12-26-2008, 05:42 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Clint55

I was looking into getting a jack stand for my Ultra and doing a search around the forum to see if the J & S will wok alright with my Wheeldock center stand.

Then I ran into this (above) post. I've had my center stand on for about 2 weeks now and love it. But it's been snowing so I havn't had a reason to fire up the bike. I guess I always assumed there wouldn't be any problem idleing the bike on the stand.

Anybody else have any issues or concerns about this?

Maybe Rod at Wheel dock can toss out his .02 on this?

Thanks.

Doesn't make sense but I haven't installed mine, so I can't say yes or no.

Hopefully someone with an EZ-Up installed will chime in and clear this up....

Old 12-26-2008, 05:58 PM
Andy Engemann
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Doesn't make sense but I haven't installed mine, so I can't say yes or no.

Hopefully someone with an EZ-Up installed will chime in and clear this up....

I have the Wheeldock Center Stand installed and have never had this concern. I let mine idle in the garage (garage door open!) and have never seen anything to cause me concern. I know the bike will move ever so slightly forward when starting with the transmission in gear and clutch pulled in....but I don't see how there could be enough force to push the bike off of the center stand. I routinely start mine in neutral, while on the center stand, with no problems at all.

Is at possible that the bike that fell was positioned with the front wheel facing downhill? Could a slight forward pulse (while starting) while facing slightly downhill be enough to cause the bike to come off of the center stand? I don't know the answer but am looking forward to hearing the thoughts of others....including the manufacturer.

Personally, I like the Wheeldock and will continue to use it. I just don't see any risk based on my own observations.

Andy

Old 12-26-2008, 08:01 PM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior

I have warmed up my bike numerous times while on the Wheeldock without concern.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:39 PM
Krulls09Ultra
Intermediate

I have had my centerstand on for about a week now and have started and let it idle without me on it with no problems. I have to really push it forward, while on it, or put it in gear and drive off of it for it to come off of the stand. This is with the bike on level concrete, other than that, I have just used the jiffy stand. Really like the wheeldock centerstand.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:22 PM
TheShrink
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have let my Ultra idle while on the center stand amd have never worried about it. You HAVE to park your machine with the front tire "up" always, whether or not you use a center stand. It's just good practice and common sense.

Old 12-27-2008, 01:42 AM
Scubadog
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds to me like a false alarm. The guy probably was parked nose down or there's some other reason. I checked it out in the garage today and on level ground it seems solid as a rock. Thanks for the input and reassurance.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:15 AM
Raptor1956
Tourer

Wow TheShrink I have never seen so much fring on a bike. Does it double as a street sweeper? Looks pretty wild bro.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:21 PM
vrodb
Former Sponsor

I just read the post and the thread today and as far as I know I have had three people now mention this happening. This is a total of three with over six thousand units we have in service over the last three years. I do not know how this can happen on a flat surface unless the stand is too tall for your bike like if you might have a lowered stand on a standard suspension or possibly with the front of the bike going downhill. I know I have no problems warming my bikes up while on the stand and not with it. If you are unsure about this I would just roll it off the center stand and leave it on the side stand to be on the safe side.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:45 PM
TheShrink
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Raptor1956
Wow TheShrink I have never seen so much fring on a bike. Does it double as a street sweeper? Looks pretty wild bro.
Just saw this ..
It probably does look like a street sweeper going down the road .... thanks!

Quick Reply: Idleing on Wheeldock Center Stand