Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing led colors on stock gauges

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 10:22 PM
ZEALOUS_DRAGON
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing led colors on stock gauges

I ordered this kit from the Internet to change my stock orange guage color to red on my 2009 FLHX Street Glide. I have received the LED's but I don't feel they are correct.. Before I go through the pain staking task of disassembling the gauges, I want to be sure. Has anybody taken apart the Speedometer & the Tachometer and taken pictures of the circuit board? I would like to see them. Better yet has anyone already taken on this task. I know I can solder the LED's myself, looking to save some money, but get that custom look. THANKS

Last edited by ZEALOUS_DRAGON; 01-09-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:09 AM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread... Did they have blue?

Old 01-04-2009, 02:38 AM
ZEALOUS_DRAGON
Cruiser

You are able to get Blue, Red, Purple, Pink, Green & even White! I don't want to turn anyone else onto them till I am sure it's the correct set-up. They say that I have whats needed, but from looking at some over the Internet (very hard to find, not confident that they are the same) I am not so sure, that's why I am hoping someone has taken apart one of these gauge's before & took some pictures. Or maybe someone that has a newer set of the two willing to give up for the cause?

Old 01-04-2009, 10:01 AM
TheShrink
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 01-04-2009, 10:09 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ZEALOUS_DRAGON
I ordered this kit off the Internet to change my stock orange guage color to red on my 2009 FLHX Street Glide. I have received the LED's but I don't feel they are correct.. Before I go through the pain staking task of disassembling the gauges, I want to be sure. Has anybody taken apart the Speedometer & the Tachometer and taken pictures of the circuit board? I would like to see them. Better yet has anyone already taken on this task. I know I can solder the LED's myself, looking to save some money, but get that custom look. THANKS

The small gauges use light bulbs with a cover over them to make the color. The speedo & tach use LED's I believe...

Old 01-04-2009, 10:10 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by TheShrink
They have done a lot of nice work for the V-Rod guys.....

Old 01-04-2009, 10:30 AM
molsen
Road Master

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the '09 have the ability to change colors right from the factory. I remeber seeing that on a RK when I was at York. I thought that was a neat small feature on the '09s. On the 07 there are covers that go over the bulb.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:35 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by molsen
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the '09 have the ability to change colors right from the factory. I remeber seeing that on a RK when I was at York. I thought that was a neat small feature on the '09s. On the 07 there are covers that go over the bulb.
Not that I'm aware of and there's nothing in the owners manual about it.......

Like I said, I just replaced my temp gauge with an oil temp gauge and the gauge has a light bulb with what appears to be a rubber type cover over the bulb which makes the golden/yellow color.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:39 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

The issue with changing gauge light colors is the speedo and tach are sealed units using LED's for light/color. The small gauges use light bulbs with boots for color. IIRC, the oil temp gauge also uses LED's inside the gauge and not the bulb/boot used on the other small gauges, at least that's how my spun aluminum oil temp gauge was, but it's been so long i can't be positive.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:41 AM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting and I want to read more about it.

Quick Reply: Changing led colors on stock gauges