Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Read this if you're thinking about LED's or have questions about Load Equalizers

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 09:42 PM
oldbagr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Monstead - Excellent explanation based on some great research. I went through the same issues you did when I mixed Kuryakyn's LED turn signals with HD's run/brake/turn module. The dealer wasn't helpful in resolving my issue so I called Kury's service number and they explained what I needed to do. I replaced the HD run/brake/turn system with the Kury Panacea and everything now works great. Note: If you did need to run your flashers just remove unplug the equalizers until you turn the flashers off to avoid overheating of the equalizers.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:24 PM
Frigid Rigid
3rd Gear

Time to reserect this thread with a new twist (actually just exposing my ignorance). I'm in the same boat as Colt 357. I bought a "Barely Legal" bike and I'm trying to finish it. I understand I need to buy the turn signal module and possibly load equalizers to go all L.E.D., but here's my twist. I have '96 up switches which were never wired in. Do I also need to buy the self cancelling garbage? The switches feel like momentary switches, so will they only work with the switches depressed without something to latch a relay or something? Or is that function in the turn signal module? If so, what turns them off? Can anyone recommend a brand of turn signal module?

Last edited by Frigid Rigid; 06-24-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:02 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by monstead
Good explanation. Had to read it a couple of times, but I finally got it.
I'll go back and see if I can edit my original post regarding the use of the word "voltage". Would it be correct to say "Yes. Because they add resistance..."? Anyway, Nice catch! I definitely don't have a good understanding of Ohms Law.

Resistance ahhh what fun .. Ohms law ? Thats fun too.. resistors actually burn off voltage creating heat .......... just because a circuit board for a led light has resistor dosent mean they dont need a load equalizer. They may be there just to drop the voltage so you dont burn out the led's.. Nice write up .. Very informative ... A regular lamp puts a lot more load on the flashers than a bunch of leds.. Notice I said lamp? bulbs you plant in the flower garden ..........

Old 03-05-2013, 07:45 PM
Sfcg77
Intermediate

Where could I pick up a load equalizer and how much are they? I'm having flashing turn signal problem myself!

Old 03-06-2013, 07:13 PM
J_ULTRA
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by monstead
Throughout all my research, which was in no way comprehensive, I did not come across any LED's that did not require a L.E. when using the Run/Brake/Turn lights on my '09 RKC. I would not be surprised to hear of exceptions, I just did not find them.
While I can't speak to your RKC application directly I can say that the Genuine Harley-Davidson led turn signal kit requires no load equalizer or control box. On my Ultra I installed the led turn signals and tail light. plug and play and the turn signals blink at the normal speed. It is my understanding an incandescent bulb draws more electrical current than the led. Since the led draws much less current the brake/turn signal circuit senses that a bulb is burned out and the turn signal module/relay blinks the turn signals at a rapid rate when some aftermarket leds are introduced to the system, much like a car's turn signal flasher relay flashes the turn signals faster when a bulb is burned out, the relay senses a reduced load/resitance and blinks the signals faster so the operator can check the bulb(s). Some electronic flasher relays allow both led and incandescent bulbs to be used simultaneously on the same circuit. Also, from my experience leds from different manufacturers can vary in brightness. The Harley-Davidson leds are very bright even in daylight. I have had many comments on how highly visible they are. Now let me go and plant all the spare "bulbs" I have left over after replacing them with leds in my bulb garden...as mentioned elsewhere.

Last edited by J_ULTRA; 03-06-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:29 PM
J_ULTRA
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sfcg77
Where could I pick up a load equalizer and how much are they? I'm having flashing turn signal problem myself!

Google "led load equalizer for motorcycle" and you'll find numerous links.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:40 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,073 Likes on 2,557 Posts

Originally Posted by MdTIGwelder
Actually, since my riding buddy and myself installed the LED amber directionals, we like the faster blinking, after following one another and testing them out in traffic they certainly stand out. I am not going to worry about a load equalizer unless doing it this way may damage something. my 02.

Vaughn
Since this post is years old, I'm wondering if he had any problems/damage not adding the load equalizer? And just how fast is "fast" that he's talking about?

I'd PM him but he hasn't been online for a couple of years. I did PM the OP but if anyone can help with my question, I'd appreciate it.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:03 PM
meanmachinist
Stage I

ok, so I have the cheap jap smoked combo light. it has the yellow wires for the signals .do I hook the one end of yellow to the resister, then the other end to the power. hence hook it up in series or one end to power ,the other to ground??

Old 04-28-2018, 11:45 PM
gsp247
4th Gear
Default Smart triple play

So I upgraded my 08 RG signals to L E D by custom dynamic. Initially with the upgrade I only installed the lad stabilizer but then a week later wanted/installed the smart triple play. Note all the components are by custom Dynamics. Well after installing the triple play for run/brake function my rear taillight/turn signals are now flickering. Called custom Dynamics and they wanted me to test my battery, voltage regulator, and stator. All tested good. Anyone here experience this problem or any suggestion on a fix. Could this be a bad triple play. Help!
?