Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch lever action not real smooth

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 11:12 AM
BlackFLHR
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Clutch lever action not real smooth

2009 Road King Classic, 2500 miles...

The movement of the clutch lever doesn't seem to be very smooth. I mainly notice on my morning ride to work. Kinda feels like it very slightly sticks a little when releasing the clutch. The actual clutch itself is fine, no slippage or anything like that. I've looked at the cable, and there's no binding anywhere.

Would the cable need to be lubed with this few miles? And if so, what's the easiest way for a home mechanic to do it (without buying one of those special cable lube tools)? Will simple 3n1 oil work?

Old 01-29-2009, 11:37 AM
skydoc
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 01-29-2009, 11:47 AM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

Go into you local bike shop and get an oil pen. It has a clear plastic body with a metal needle end on it, so it will fit into the end of the clutch cable. They are about $5 and they work wonders on the clutch and throttle cables. That is what they are made for. May I suggest , get a service book. It will make your life with your bike a lot easier. It will answer all your Questions on how to do many things. From a simple bulb replacement to .............

Old 01-29-2009, 12:03 PM
rrsjs5
Road Captain

Originally Posted by skydoc
A few bucks cheaper,same stuff,works wonders..

https://www.storesonline.com/site/696296/product/T1247

Old 01-29-2009, 12:18 PM
BlackFLHR
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the product recommendations... But is this common for a new bike with 2500 miles on it, to need cable lubing already? Or is it just the nature of the beast?

Old 01-29-2009, 12:23 PM
stu07hd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not suprised that the cable may need lubed after 2500 miles. I use cable lube on mine at every service (3000 miles) and am always suprised how much better they feel afterwards. Did you have the 1000 mile service done or complete it yourself? Who knows, maybe yours got out the factory door with un-lubed or lightly lubed cables.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:40 PM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

2500 miles?.....you are due for full clutch adjustment-both primary and cable end...you can do it yourself if you have torx27 bit and a couple of open end wrenches....you don't need a book cause it's on the web if you search.

Place bike on jiffy stand and pull primary cover using torx27 bit, it won't leak primary oil unless it's too full to start with.....adjust clutch release inside primary using open end wrench and allen wrench, then adjust cable by the book....10 minutes and you are done.

This is good time to remove cable from upper lever and force lube down inside....too much is better and simply wipes off.

If catchy actions persists, then demand dealer fix it under warranty cause cable might be frayed.

You are correct that clutch should travel freely and not feel like yours....see if you can fix it yourself first.....your scoot and you need to bond, so get her oil under your nails.

Last edited by oinker02; 01-29-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:52 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

I wouldn't have thought 2500 miles, but the Dryslide is a cheap way to find out if that is your problem or if it is something more serious.

Beary

Old 01-29-2009, 03:06 PM
hawg08
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine wasn't smooth either and even made a little squeaking noise with 2700 miles on the clock. I held the clutch lever in and dabbed a little silicone grease on the bottom and top of the lever where it goes into the housing, pulled it a few times and it was fixed; no squeak and easier to pull. I've never had to do this on any of my other Harleys so this must be some kind of "improvement" that was made to the later models.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:07 PM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
I wouldn't have thought 2500 miles, but the Dryslide is a cheap way to find out if that is your problem or if it is something more serious.

Beary
2500 miles is 5 times beyond first primary side clutch adjustment......Yep, it needs done by the first 500 miles and rather often afterwards depending on how you ride.

Don't get me wrong, never should a new clutch exibit the problems he describes, but first he should perform the adjustment and lube, then see if it goes away.

Quick Reply: Clutch lever action not real smooth