Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best fix for wind buffeting on a Street Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 11:19 PM
bighaeb
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best fix for wind buffeting on a Street Glide?

Alright, I'm a bit ticked at the amount of wind buffeting while wearing a full face helmet on a 09 Street Glide. I purchased this thing to tour long distances, and I really want to find out what the best fix would be (besides switching to a half helmet)? I thought the 6.5 inch recurved windshield would help, but it didn't. In fact, It might feel worse now.

Suggestions? If it helps, I'm 6 foot 1.

Mike

Old 02-01-2009, 11:24 PM
wcsj55@yahoo.com
Extreme HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Taller windscreen!!

Old 02-01-2009, 11:27 PM
bighaeb
Advanced

Originally Posted by wcsj55@yahoo.com
Taller windscreen!!
I'd like to think so, but I've read a few threads speaking of how the 12 inch windscreens weren't even eliminating buffeting. I'd like to think that a 12 incher could do the job. I'd hope that just going to an 8 incher would even do it, but probably not at my height.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:31 PM
SA315B
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Klock Werks is coming out with a 10” windshield soon and I beleive they offer an 8" windshield now. Before you buy you might want to make sure that you are tall enough to look over the top of it. If you have a recurve windshield now then you know there is some distortion if you look through it.

The 6 1/2" is fine for me but I'm only 5'9.

Otherwise you might have to go to an Electra Glide windshield.

Last edited by SA315B; 02-01-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:33 PM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I believe Klock Werks has a shield that is pretty good.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:33 PM
bighaeb
Advanced

I will go to an electra windshield if it will work. I have no problem with doing that for the longer trips. Any testimonials of folks using full face helmets in conjunction with the 12 inch Electra Glide windshields?

Old 02-01-2009, 11:36 PM
fatguyona1000
Road Captain

There's no real solution, unfortunately. I'm in the same boat and I reluctantly decided to ride with a half helmet.

I've had about 6 different windshields - 4, 6 10, 12 inch stock style, half moon that I got off of ebay (I liked this one because it deflected more air so I could hear the radio better at speed, but not much help with buffeting), and the Cee Bailey curved winshield (forget the name and height, but this was the best one for wind redirection as far as windshields go.)

I also put on the "butterflies" on the end of the batwing and Ultra style lowers. None of this cured it, but some combos lessened it. Finally gave up and ride with a half helmet.

On another post someone mentioned this vest (I might start a thread about it) - www.jacksflaps.com - I'm curious if this cured buffeting for anyone looking for a cure for a FF helmet on a batwing.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:10 AM
SA315B
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fatguyona1000
There's no real solution, unfortunately. I'm in the same boat and I reluctantly decided to ride with a half helmet.

I've had about 6 different windshields - 4, 6 10, 12 inch stock style, half moon that I got off of ebay (I liked this one because it deflected more air so I could hear the radio better at speed, but not much help with buffeting), and the Cee Bailey curved winshield (forget the name and height, but this was the best one for wind redirection as far as windshields go.)

I also put on the "butterflies" on the end of the batwing and Ultra style lowers. None of this cured it, but some combos lessened it. Finally gave up and ride with a half helmet.

On another post someone mentioned this vest (I might start a thread about it) - www.jacksflaps.com - I'm curious if this cured buffeting for anyone looking for a cure for a FF helmet on a batwing.
Jack is an old helicopter mechanic and a hell of a great guy. The vest was designed for a Road King but it works for some people on Glides. He will tell you to hold your arm across your chest with the palm of your hand facing down, if that works then the vest will work.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:22 AM
dhincc
Road Master

That's what I was going to suggest. Most people don't realize much of the buffeting due to the bat wing is coming up from below. Do the arm across the chest. If it eliminates or reduces it, there's a couple of things you can do. Get the fork baffle that mounts behind the triple tree, and get the front fork wind deflectors. Between the two, it should help quite a bit. Good luck and ride safe!

Old 02-02-2009, 04:33 AM
UltraDuke
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get in a cage or tough it out. your neck will grow stronger and you wont even notice it.

The following users liked this post:
PaulG75 (05-05-2022)

Quick Reply: Best fix for wind buffeting on a Street Glide?