Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9 Spoke chrome from MOCO or what?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 10:25 AM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 737 Likes on 506 Posts
Default 9 Spoke chrome from MOCO or what?

I've got the optional spoke wheels that came on the bike when I got it new but I prefer a solid wheel.

I'm thinking about the 9-spoke chrome wheels from HD since aftermarket wheels seem pretty pricey.

I welcome any input on the 9-spoke or aftermarket wheels if they aren't in the $1000.00 a piece price range.

Don't get me wrong, I love those fancy wheels, they are just more than I want to pay right now.

Thanks

Old 02-20-2009, 11:26 AM
hardyf111
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be eager to see the responses as well. I want some new wheels as well.

h

Old 02-20-2009, 11:32 AM
Taylorized
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is my new wheels stock streetglide wheel chromed with 5 bar N shield cuouts. Pictures aren't the greatest still building it. Here is where I got them : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=190283616694

Old 02-20-2009, 12:00 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

SBM, my opinion continues to be that until I'm ready to also install a single six piston caliper, doing chrome 16" wheels isn't for me. The right side caliper hides the 16" wheel except for the rim, and even chromed/matching rotors with dual discs doesn't do it for me.

Not knocking anybody's choices about this--buy what YOU like.

In your case, take the $$$ you might spend now and put it away until you can buy the "killer" wheels, tire, rotors, that you really want. You may find that if you ride your bike a lot, you'll spend less time looking at it and be less interested in dropping $1K or more (likely more for rims, rotors and tires) for something you don't see while riding, and find other uses for the $$$ that enhance your riding experience (e.g. stereo upgrades, engine, etc.). Just my $.02.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:03 PM
Taylorized
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
SBM, my opinion continues to be that until I'm ready to also install a single six piston caliper, doing chrome 16" wheels isn't for me. The right side caliper hides the 16" wheel except for the rim, and even chromed/matching rotors with dual discs doesn't do it for me.

Not knocking anybody's choices about this--buy what YOU like.

In your case, take the $$$ you might spend now and put it away until you can buy the "killer" wheels, tire, rotors, that you really want. You may find that if you ride your bike a lot, you'll spend less time looking at it and be less interested in dropping $1K or more (likely more for rims, rotors and tires) for something you don't see while riding, and find other uses for the $$$ that enhance your riding experience (e.g. stereo upgrades, engine, etc.). Just my $.02.
But I want it all! LOL

Old 02-20-2009, 12:37 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Taylorized
But I want it all! LOL
Amend to say: "I want it all NOW!"

Old 02-20-2009, 04:42 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 737 Likes on 506 Posts

I hear ya HPM, Lord knows I'm not looking to waste money. It's that I really don't trust spokes on a tourer. I guess I got some paranoia thing about them not staying perfectly round since the spokes can be adjusted and who knows, maybe whoever trued them to begin with was drunk that day. Not that mine seem out of round, it's just I've had mags on all my bikes since the a couple of Hondas in the seventies.

And on top of my paranoia as stated above is that I am not looking forward to the attention of detail needed to make the spokes look great. I'd rather spray off a mag and be done with it and riding then detailing! I didn't want the spokes but it was on the bike when I went to make the deal and they threw them in for no additional charge whereas to have them changed out would have cost me.

Thanks for the input and good job to Taylorized to his custom wheels!

Old 02-20-2009, 06:22 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

ALWAYS, check your dealers discount rack. I learned this valuable lesson 2 years ago, when at an open house, my wife was wandering around and happened to look at that rack. She opened a wheel box, and slid the wheel out, Asked me if this would fit her scoot. I looked at the tags, and said, Yep..it'll fit...WHY???? She said lets see if they have both, well..long story short, they did, and I paid 600.00 for 2 wheels with a retail value of 1295.00 EACH! Talk about a SALE. These are the 9 spoke revolver wheels that HD had a few years back.

Since that time, I have probbly spent another 1000.00 on the discount rack for her bike or mine, I know I have saved Hudreds of dollars this way.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:48 PM
baggerman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I asked the same question and went with the 9 spoke chrome. $1.7k out the door for 2 wheels, 2 chrome rotors, 2 new Avon Venoms, and labor! Look for 20% off sales.
Would have liked a fancier wheel but, this is all I could spend!!

I like the look

Last edited by baggerman; 08-21-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:14 PM
Raventhik
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently bought a 06 ultra and have the same problem
as you. (laced wheels) I dont want to spend lots of time cleaning wheels. Theres plenty of other stuff to clean.
I just have to deal with it for now. (cash flow)
Maybe next winter.

Quick Reply: 9 Spoke chrome from MOCO or what?