Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on Street Glide vs Electric Glide

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 03:40 PM
BigBill
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on Street Glide vs Electric Glide

Thanks for your time, I haven't owned a HD in about 15 years been riding what I could afford, Hondas, but would like to trade my X on a full size hard bagger
Looking at a new Street Glide and a Electra Glide Classic. But since I ride solo most of the time I was thinking about a street Glide with quick disconnect tourpack or backrest. Can someone explain in simple terms the difference between Street glide and electric glide besides the size of wind screen and bag bars. Would you buy a electra glide standard to mod or a Classic and just add the quick detachable to existing trunk. As anyone actually done this type of mod to a classic or an ultra?

Old 02-26-2009, 03:59 PM
rfultra
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How could you go wrong with either one, you couldn't. i believe it comes down to which one do YOU like. i ride solo a lot, and still wouldn't trade my Ultra for anything. But that is just my choice. Good luck

Old 02-26-2009, 04:03 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Id go down to the HD shop and side by side them if you can.
And if I had the means Id go with an ultra anyway

Old 02-26-2009, 04:09 PM
burnafatty
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Street Glide, don't geez!

Old 02-26-2009, 04:22 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

In 2007 I asked myself the same question. I went in to buy a Classic but had a hard time walking past those cool Streetglides. I crashed the Classic 3 weeks later. Bought a 2002 Heritage when I got back from my injuries. This past October, I went in to trade the Heritage up on a new red Classic. I convinced myself that it was the most economical way to go. Was ready to sign the papers and we walked past this new Black Ice/Blue Ice SG they got in the night before. I lost all my resistance and bought it.

Bottom line is that I got the bike I wanted all along. Yeah, it cost me extra for a tour pak and matching lower, but I'm happy as a pig in ****e.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:31 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBill
Thanks for your time, I haven't owned a HD in about 15 years been riding what I could afford, Hondas, but would like to trade my X on a full size hard bagger
Looking at a new Street Glide and a Electra Glide Classic. But since I ride solo most of the time I was thinking about a street Glide with quick disconnect tourpack or backrest. Can someone explain in simple terms the difference between Street glide and electric glide besides the size of wind screen and bag bars. Would you buy a electra glide standard to mod or a Classic and just add the quick detachable to existing trunk. As anyone actually done this type of mod to a classic or an ultra?
Street Glide: lower suspension, passenger pegs instead of floorboards, very little chrome trim (saddlebag lids painted to match, etc.). No tour pak. Low profile windshield.

EG Classsic: Tour Pak (which you can spend another $150 for the detachable kit), taller windshield.

I think it's cheaper to take an EG Classic and turn it into a Street Glide than the other way around (Tour Pak alone will cost ya around $1200).

I have an Electra Glide Standard, but then I bought it before the SG was an option, and basically turned it into an SG.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:46 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts

It really comes down to what you want and what you are willing to pay for. Nothing more, nothing less. It is hard to let logic dictate your decision when you have decided to spend near 20 grand on a toy. Are you going to go almost all the way to what you really want and stop a grand or two short?

The street glide is far from the best value. I am not ready for a tour pack. A t-bag does the wife and I just fine for the one or two overnighters we get to do each season. I don't think I will ever be ready for lowers, but that's what I said about a fairing and windshield 20 years ago.

The SG is just what I wanted at the time. My needs and wants will probably evolve and I will probably end up on an Ultra, but not right now.

If the best buy and value is your concern, I would by an electra glide standard, but I liked and wanted the sg enough to ignore value and logic. I don't regret it at all.

Dennis

Old 02-26-2009, 04:52 PM
BigBill
Novice

Thanks for the come backs.
Rockin Rod and Vietnam Vet those are 2 sweet rides Oh hell I never met a bike I didn't like.
The suspension was 1 of my questions it felt lower. I came off a roof a few years ago and broke my back in 2 places and my hip and shoulder. So I'm looking for a bike thats a little easier to mount.
I have a Classic and a Ultra in the family I have ridden and like. But the tour pack gets in the way on those bad days. If I buy one I need to make it fit a little better move floor boards forward, longer toe linkage and maybe a couple inch riser and/or pull back. I'm 6'2" with a 14" boot. I've been leaning toward a Classic but they just got a new street glide in candy rootbeer that I like. Thanks again
Bill

Old 02-26-2009, 04:57 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Received 311 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Cryptoboy
Street Glide: lower suspension, passenger pegs instead of floorboards, very little chrome trim (saddlebag lids painted to match, etc.). No tour pak. Low profile windshield.

EG Classsic: Tour Pak (which you can spend another $150 for the detachable kit), taller windshield.

I think it's cheaper to take an EG Classic and turn it into a Street Glide than the other way around (Tour Pak alone will cost ya around $1200).

I have an Electra Glide Standard, but then I bought it before the SG was an option, and basically turned it into an SG.
Bingo... well for the most part anyway. There are still some trade offs but in the end for me, I went with the EG Classic and very happy with it. It's easy to remove stuff.. won't cost you.. now adding is an entirely different story. You'll have something VERY close to a Street Glide and that's the mode I'm in now... making the changes and have ordered the parts that I want.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:00 PM
rooster3171
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BigBill
Here are pics of brand new 09 EG Classic w/out TP and 1/2" lower than a SG.

Last edited by rooster3171; 02-26-2009 at 05:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Opinions on Street Glide vs Electric Glide