Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wet radio problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 04:50 PM
hdbe
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sholder
So how do you guys wash and rinse your inner fairing? My first batwing too, and would like to keep it shiney without encountering this type of issue.

dito here on my first batwing...are we not supposed to put any water from a hose in this area?

Old 03-18-2009, 07:21 PM
D2R
Banned

I wipe mine down with a wet micofiber towel,use Q-tips in all the nooks and crannies around the gauges and such then use 303 Aero Space Protectant,Great stuff.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:00 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Happened to me while washing my bike. Turns out the handlebars controls just got wet. 2 days later everything was back to normal.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:04 PM
NavyPT
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the trash bag idea as well. This is my first batwing as well. My Deluxe can drown in water on the console and hand controls without so much as a hiccup. I'll certainly take care around the controls on my EGC.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:38 PM
D2R
Banned

Originally Posted by NavyPT
I like the trash bag idea as well. This is my first batwing as well. My Deluxe can drown in water on the console and hand controls without so much as a hiccup. I'll certainly take care around the controls on my EGC.
Yes you can get the fairing wet but it's like a water resistant watch take a shower with it on and works fine go scuba diving with it on (under pressure)and it fills up with water.Up until last spring I had always Armour Alled all the plastic and rubber parts but a guy on this forum who seemed to really know detailing a bike and the products used swore by this 303 Aerospace Protectant. I'm not a dealer but after trying it I pitched the Armour All.The 303 protectant was developed by the aviation industry and offers a real good uv protection and you can buy it at an Auto Zone.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:59 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tima
Dang it!!

Thanks guys.....
This is a little late, but maybe for the future. I don't hose my instruments down. Use a California Duster for the dirt, Damp rag to wipe it down, then dry rag. Top it off with Pig Spit on the fairing and she looks like new. JMO.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:08 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by D2R
Yes you can get the fairing wet but it's like a water resistant watch take a shower with it on and works fine go scuba diving with it on (under pressure)and it fills up with water.Up until last spring I had always Armour Alled all the plastic and rubber parts but a guy on this forum who seemed to really know detailing a bike and the products used swore by this 303 Aerospace Protectant. I'm not a dealer but after trying it I pitched the Armour All.The 303 protectant was developed by the aviation industry and offers a real good uv protection and you can buy it at an Auto Zone.
Hope it's good stuff, I just ordered a gallon at $61 shipped.....

Go figure, they wanted over $8 to ship a 16oz spray bottle and $10 to ship a gallon....

Old 03-20-2009, 01:11 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 623 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by sholder
So how do you guys wash and rinse your inner fairing? My first batwing too, and would like to keep it shiney without encountering this type of issue.
I never spray water directly onto the inner fairing. When I wash my bike, water is indirectly sprayed onto the inner fairing. I simply blow it dry with a Cycle Dryer. Then I take a damp cloth and do a detail wipe down. It looks good as new.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:31 PM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Radios & washings

No bike should be washed excessively (as most HD owners do) and you should never wash with a pressure washer! So... I was doing my weekly washing of my Sportster with a pressure washer last month and it would not start after; I left the keys in the ignition and it acted like a spigot and wetted the contacts! Took a while to blow dry (ever lip an ignition switch?) to start. Water can get everywhere (swithches, unprotected/worn connections, etc) even with a hose so best to wash "judiciously" and stay away from the instrument side of the fairing: you don't rinse of the dash in your car, do you? They are water-resistant, not water-proof. Probably got in a switch somewhere but here's a few self-diagnostics for the radio:

RADIO DIAGNOSTICS

To enter the radio diagnostic mode, press any two (2) station preset buttons simultaneously while turning ignition on. There are five (5) diagnostic modes (D1-D5) plus Automatic Volume Control (AVC) setting. Digits will change from 0 to 1 when function button is operated. If digit does not change, there is either a short or open on that circuit (see Service Manual or ED for codes). To cycle through the various diagnostics, use the LO/DX button.

D1: Switch Function Mode will display a five (5) digit binary code at the top of the LCD.
Digit 1=Mode Set, up & down
Digit 2=FPTT, RPTT, Volume up & down
Digit 3=Audio in, Squelch-, Eject
Digit 4=Audio-, Squelch+
Digit5=Audio+

D2: LCD displays an 8-digit code
Digit 1=PTT microphone Digit 2=Vehicle speed Digit 3=VOX break Digit 4=CB SQ break Digit 5=IC on/off Digit 6=CB on/off Digit 7=SPKR SW B Digit 8=SPKR SW A

D3: LCD Illumination function= display all items in LCD.

D4: Model year=Select model year as prompted.

D5: Software=Displays software information

AVC: Automatic Volume Control=Adjusts volume to engine speed. 0 to 4 range with 2 the factory setting and 4 being the most aggressive setting.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:28 PM
hdbe
Road Master

good info Rob..thanks!!

Quick Reply: Wet radio problem