Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Firecap501 comes through again on 6.5" speaker upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 11:51 PM
Hoffy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on Wayne. I also have the rings and 6.5 components coming to change from the 5.25's. I have talked to him several times and he always takes the time for you, so much so that sometimes I feel self concious that I am using too much of his time. He is my stereo guy for life also, and I will be doing business with him again soon for a new head unit and controls. As for the ARC system, it rocks like you cant imagine and I get more fun from that upgrade than any other, even the 103. I can't wait to upgrade the head unit!!

Old 03-21-2009, 05:32 AM
KopperTop
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mastery
Another member here (KopperTop) has a great write up on the site on the install of 6.5" speakers here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...l-fairing.html

The only thing that I found that should be added is that if you want to keep the stock look of the front of speakers with the fabric covering in your speaker holes, you need to remove the fabric mesh from the stock adapters, and move it to the new rings.
Hey there. My mesh grills came off so easily, they practically fell off the OEM rings once they were out of the fairing. I did show them removed from the factory rings in my photo and also attached between the new 6.5" ring and the fairing. I was working with zero instructions, so after deducing that the old rings get tossed, the fairing tabs get clipped and which screws go in which hole, re-using the mesh grill seemed too obvious to mention explicitly.

I neglected to show the completed 6.5" install at the end because it looks exactly the same as stock from the outside. There is no way you could use any 6.5" speaker grill (if you're buying aftermarket speakers separately). You could still use any HD or aftermarket speaker trim designed for the stock speakers as the fairing hole remains intact.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:57 AM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FFeric
I am going to be purchasing from Firecap soon. So if i understand this correctly, you need to transfer over the mesh for the speakers? Will it hold up once you transfer it?
Yes, it holds fine. Push the mesh off from the back side of the old adapter, or slowly peel it off. Once off, mine had four stips of double sided tape on the original adapters. I pulled the tape off, moved it over and put it back on the mesh, and then lined up the mesh with the holes of the new adapter ring, and pushed it on.

Also, once you screw the new speakers in, the outside of the mesh is tight against the fairing anyways (just like before), so it's not going anywhere or coming lose or anything.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:06 AM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KopperTop
I did show them removed from the factory rings in my photo and also attached between the new 6.5" ring and the fairing. I was working with zero instructions, so after deducing that the old rings get tossed, the fairing tabs get clipped and which screws go in which hole, re-using the mesh grill seemed too obvious to mention explicitly.
I'm non-technical, and figured others may be too. It wasn't explicit on that step, so figured I'd just throw it out there. I'm one of these that read directions 8 times before starting something, and then read that step and 3 steps ahead during the process, and still get things wrong

The process took 15 seconds per speaker anyways, but with my aging mind, I just didn't make the connection with the photos.

Great write up. I used your instructions all the way through doing my own conversion, and would have had a lot more questions had you not had done this. It was a piece of cake to do it following your lead, once I moved the mesh over (mine was stuck on tight, but easily removed when I took them off).

Old 03-23-2009, 09:58 PM
Puzzled
Banned

+1 on waiting for the FLTR 6 1/2" adapter rings.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:34 AM
cmdwolf
Cruiser
Talking

I bought my stuff from Wayne too. I ordered them last week. I am very happy that I used Wayne. Nice guy. Hopefully my stuff gets here by the end of this week. I told Wayne no rush but now I have to admit the wait is killing me.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:22 AM
subdoc1
Intermediate
Default Adapters

Looking to up grade 09 SG with alpine system and 6.5 Infinity Kappa or Polk speakers.

Heres what I am looking at will it work???

Alpine CDA-9886M (Marine grade)

Alpine PDX-2.150

PAC SWI-JACK JVC/Alp/Clari/Ken (Radio control interface)

Infinity Kappa 62.9i

and Waynes 5.25 to 6.5 adapters. What else will I need to make this change? All help is appreciated.

Pat
2009 Street Glide

Last edited by subdoc1; 05-22-2009 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:36 AM
AaronOregon
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by subdoc1
Looking to up grade 09 SG with alpine system and 6.5 Infinity Kappa or Polk speakers.

Heres what I am looking at will it work???

Alpine CDA-9886M (Marine grade)

Alpine PDX-2.150

PAC SWI-JACK JVC/Alp/Clari/Ken (Radio control interface)

Infinity Kappa 62.9i

and Waynes 5.25 to 6.5 adapters. What else will I need to make this change? All help is appreciated.

Pat
2009 Street Glide
Looks like you have it figured out. The PAC Jack is a little tricky but doable. I have the Infinity Speakers and the adapter rings in stock. It is $148.95 for the upgrade. Shoot me a PM here or a contact message off of the website and I will get you hooked up.

Aaron

Old 05-22-2009, 12:19 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ordered from firecap501 again...6.5s should be here soon

Old 05-22-2009, 02:27 PM
caltrain
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Firecap501
mike I will be all over this on monday. You need to let me know if it does not arrive tomorrow.
Cap.....any updates or status of the website? Where can I get info on your set up?

Quick Reply: Firecap501 comes through again on 6.5" speaker upgrade