Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Firecap501 comes through again on 6.5" speaker upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 08:50 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Firecap501 comes through again on 6.5" speaker upgrade

Little history first: About 8 weeks ago, I ordered the ARC Audio 125.2 amp and the 5.25" speakers from Firecap501 here on this site to put on the Ultra in my signature. He was very receptive to phone calls and PM questions during my investigation of what to get, and even answered the hard/technical questions I threw at him. About six weeks ago, during my install, he walked me through a number of issues I was having (not with the equipment, but my lack of technical expertise working on bikes). Very helpful, polite, knowledgeable, and friendly with each contact I made with him. This upgrade when it was finished was a big improvement over the stock audio system.

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to upgrade to the 6.5" speakers on the front fairing, and move the 5.25" ARC speakers to the rear pods. Most people don't have a need to upgrade the rear pods, as front speaker upgrade will provide a nice sound. However, I like the surround sound feeling of audio, and wanted to get rid of the junk rear HD speakers.

Contacted Wayne (Firecap501), and he was still waiting on receiving his shipment of adapter rings. I got a little impatient last Sunday, and contacted another member here that sells the rings and 6.5" speakers. After a couple of messages back and forth, I told the other member that I need the items here by Friday (today), due to a big ride I had planned for Saturday (tomorrow). I was told by the other member they only ship UPS Ground, and after determining it may not make it here by Friday, that member said "we only ship UPS Ground" when I asked about getting faster shipping...and the conversation ended when I again pushed about faster shipping methods, even at my expense. So...I prefer to work with companies that make my needs their most important priority, and not expect me to wait for items because they won't offer choices in expedited shipping.

So, I called Wayne on Tuesday. I explained my need for these items to arrive today. Wayne went WAY out of his way to make sure I had the 6.5" speakers and the needed adapter rings arrive today. For my audio needs, Wayne has a customer for life now.

Anyways, to the speaker upgrade: I really liked my sound with the amp and the 5.25" speakers in the front fairing. But, moving the 5.25" to the rear, and installing the 6.5" in the front, I LOVE my audio system now! I can hear bass, more mid-range, and now I have a decent sounding surround system (have to fade a little to the rears to get the sound equaled all around). I like my music loud (newer country, classic rock, "harder" jazz). I get no distortion at all with the volume at 75%, and the gain turned up about 40-50% of capacity. So loud in my testing, neighbor from one block over (good friend, fellow rider) came over, and all he could say was "HOL* CHIT!" Unbelieveable sound quality and volume from a bike.

If you are considering the upgrade to 6.5" speakers in the front, all I can say is DO IT.

Another member here (KopperTop) has a great write up on the site on the install of 6.5" speakers here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...l-fairing.html

The only thing that I found that should be added is that if you want to keep the stock look of the front of speakers with the fabric covering in your speaker holes, you need to remove the fabric mesh from the stock adapters, and move it to the new rings. You will not use the stock adapters when going to the 6.5" speakers. The mesh fabric pulls off (just go slow, it's pretty strong), and you can transfer the double side tape to the new rings, and then press the fabric mesh onto the new ring adapters.

Again, big sound improvement, and if you go with Firecap501 for your products, you will get some of the best customer service you ever experienced. None of your questions are too stupid, and Wayne will answer them in very basic, easy to understand language, without making you feel stupid. Thanks again Wayne, I'll be in touch on the next upgrade we discussed this evening on the phone (now looking at finalizing my audio system with a decent headunit and a handlebar controller unit).

Last edited by mastery; 03-20-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:55 PM
Mike5959
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting thing about the fabric. I hadnt heard that yet.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:02 PM
Bigredone
Road Master

Yep,

Same here with Firecap with the exception that I didn't have a deadline. I'm still healing from shoulder surgery.

I got the amp and 5.25 speakers last week. The 6.5s and the adapter rings arrived late this evening. Hope to have it up and running in the am.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:04 PM
springerchop
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Still waiting for the 6 1/2 for FLTR WAYNE! You can do it.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:10 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike5959
Interesting thing about the fabric. I hadnt heard that yet.
Being non-technical, I couldn't figure out how to get the stock adapter and the new ring adapter to connect right. Call to Wayne, and he says they don't (didn't even laugh at me). Said throw the old ones to the side, and transfer the mesh fabric.

Love the fact that put back together, everything look stock. However, it's going to turn heads when I ride or pull up to an outing I'm sure.

Last edited by mastery; 03-20-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:14 PM
Mike5959
Road Warrior

Mine was supposed to be here tomorrow but now my tracking info says 3/24.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:31 PM
Firecap501
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mike I will be all over this on monday. You need to let me know if it does not arrive tomorrow.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:33 PM
Firecap501
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by springerchop
Still waiting for the 6 1/2 for FLTR WAYNE! You can do it.

I have a fellow okie coming over on Sunday with his fairing and I am going to work on it, and see if there is going to be any clearance issues I promise to work my hardest to not leave you shark nose fellas out.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:35 PM
FFeric
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I am going to be purchasing from Firecap soon. So if i understand this correctly, you need to transfer over the mesh for the speakers? Will it hold up once you transfer it?

Old 03-20-2009, 11:39 PM
Firecap501
Former Sponsor

Yes it will hold up just fine. It is mesh over a thin plastic, it is held on by 2 small pieces of very thin somewhat transparent double sided sticky tape.

Quick Reply: Firecap501 comes through again on 6.5" speaker upgrade