Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blue lights on back of RK?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 07:04 AM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It used to be cool (still is I guess) in the hotrod world to have blue dots in the center of red taillights. SEMA has been fighting to make it legal, and apparently has succeeded in a few jurisdictions. Sounds like PA might be one of them.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:11 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RODEO
While XTrooper wouldn't have a problem here, I know that anyone not current LEO or retired (or card carrying member of the clan) would definitely be "stopped" and likely "ticketed" for displaying blue lights front or rear here in NJ because they are reserved for Volunteer Emergency vehicles. At night, those same blue lights will be an active billboard seen from far away and who needs that hassle...
If you are operating a NJ-registered motorcycle displaying blue lights and it's not an 'emergency vehicle' of some sort, then you would be in violation of NJ law.

Since my motorcycle is PA-registered, if I'm traveling in NJ, I might be stopped, but I shouldn't receive a motor vehicle summons for the blue lights because of the reasons already stated, irrespective of my status as a retired trooper. I'm not saying the fact that I'm a retired trooper won't help, but, in this instance, it really shouldn't matter.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:13 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by liltrk
It used to be cool (still is I guess) in the hotrod world to have blue dots in the center of red taillights. SEMA has been fighting to make it legal, and apparently has succeeded in a few jurisdictions. Sounds like PA might be one of them.
The PA statute specifically mentions those 'blue dot' taillights, among other things.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:09 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by XTrooper3936
Also, if blue lights or dark tint on your car, etc are legal in your state and your vehicle is registered in your home state, when you are traveling out-of-state, local law enforcement in the states you are passing through don't have the legal authority to ticket you for them because aren't legal in their own venue. For example, Florida residents who drive up to New Jersey with heavy tint on the front side windows of their cars (illegal on NJ-registered cars), don't have to pull over to the side of the road when they hit the NJ state line and scrap off the tint. It is legal for them to travel through NJ with the tint on their FL-registered cars because it's legal in FL. This falls under Article IV, Section 1 of the U.S. Constitution, commonly known as the "full faith and credit" clause.

This doesn't mean you won't get a ticket for it from someone who doesn't know any better (or doesn't care), but it wouldn't be right or legal if you did. If fought, it would eventually be thrown out.
then why do riders from a non-helmet state have to wear a helmet in a helmet state?

Old 03-25-2009, 08:13 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Alabama doesn't prohibit specific colored lights. They "permit" certain colors, white and amber front. Red and amber rear. red cannot be viewed from the front. the state police ticket LEDs in the engine area because they are distracting to other drivers. a friend of mine bought a street rod that had "Fireflys" on the valve stems. On the way home the trooper told him to remove them and he wouldn't write a ticket.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:17 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by huffhuff
then why do riders from a non-helmet state have to wear a helmet in a helmet state?
Because the helmet is not part of the registered vehicle.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:24 AM
slime_dog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by huffhuff
Alabama doesn't prohibit specific colored lights. They "permit" certain colors, white and amber front. Red and amber rear. red cannot be viewed from the front. the state police ticket LEDs in the engine area because they are distracting to other drivers. a friend of mine bought a street rod that had "Fireflys" on the valve stems. On the way home the trooper told him to remove them and he wouldn't write a ticket.

OMG! Distracting to other drivers! Why don't they get rid of billboards, hub spinners, bicycle riders and other outside interferences? Sounds like profiling to me?

Old 03-25-2009, 09:31 AM
Bossman1
Outstanding HDF Member

[I] used to run blue dots in Fla but those blue rear lights would be for sure!!!

Old 03-25-2009, 09:45 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by XTrooper3936
If you are operating a NJ-registered motorcycle displaying blue lights and it's not an 'emergency vehicle' of some sort, then you would be in violation of NJ law.

Since my motorcycle is PA-registered, if I'm traveling in NJ, I might be stopped, but I shouldn't receive a motor vehicle summons for the blue lights because of the reasons already stated, irrespective of my status as a retired trooper. I'm not saying the fact that I'm a retired trooper won't help, but, in this instance, it really shouldn't matter.
Agreed, but since NJ LEO's are mostly familiar with NJ motor vehicle laws, anyone out of state would likely be subject to a stop if they displayed something out of the ordinary, or otherwise illegal on NJ vehicles. Good thing to carry a copy of your PA law with you.

I also liked the good question and answer above about "out of staters" having to wear a helmet too, if the state they are from does not require one.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:09 AM
TMART
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not legal in Texas either.A buddy of mine got stopped here and the leo made him dissconnect them right there on the side of the street!

Quick Reply: Blue lights on back of RK?