Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blue lights on back of RK?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 02:57 AM
hivoltg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blue lights on back of RK?

Here's the deal. My Dad has a 2005 Road King that he rides every day there isn't snow on the ground. He's been talking about some sort of blue light that he saw on another HD bagger and he wants them for his bike. I told him that I would put them on for him, but first I gotta find out what exactly they are.
According to his description, they fit between the fender and the saddlebags and are extra running lights. He says they are extremely bright and have a blue tint.

Can someone please help me find what he is talking about?

Thanks
Volt

Old 03-25-2009, 03:13 AM
Pope
Advanced

Possibly these?
http://www.jpcycles.com/Search/Produ...DefaultSort&re sults=10&No=30

Or maybe LEDs?

Last edited by Pope; 03-25-2009 at 03:15 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:16 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Might better check with the local LEO's before doing this ... Personally I don't think nothing should be on the rear except lights in red.. Don't even like the amber turn signals in the rear... But thats just my opinion..

Before....

How it is Now with Run/Brake/Turn on all 3 in Red....

Last edited by JayStronghawk; 03-25-2009 at 03:39 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:29 AM
Bigredone
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, Down here in Georgia blue lights are for LEOs only.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:47 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

As already stated, first make sure it's legal in your area to add blue lights to your bike. If it is, then I say go for it. I'm have the opposite opinion of Jay on this. I think all red lenses to the rear are a bit boring though I have to admit, they look great on his black bike. I guess it all depends on your bike's body color.

In Pennsylvania where I now live, it's legal to have blue lights on your motorcycle as long as they can't rotate or flash. I added the blue marker light assembly from an FLHTP (Electra Glide Police) to my FLHT. I think the added blue lights look great with my bike's body color and, hopefully, they'll help people take notice of me when coming up from behind.

Last edited by XTrooper3936; 03-25-2009 at 04:52 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:54 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The bad thing about laws is they are different state to state. Blue may be legal in PA (or insert your state here), but might not be in surrounding states. I guess if you don't plan to travel out of your state at all you are fine.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:14 AM
slime_dog
Tourer

Originally Posted by Monstermile
The bad thing about laws is they are different state to state. Blue may be legal in PA (or insert your state here), but might not be in surrounding states. I guess if you don't plan to travel out of your state at all you are fine.

You got that right! The leos can't even keep up with or enforce the laws correctly from state to state. SC has a law similar to PA's but it is enforced randomly. Here in NC a friend of mine was stopped my a local leo for displaying blue lights on his black RKC. He has blue LED highlights on the engine! Nowhere else - just on the engine. And, no we were not being excessively noise, fast, smoking or any other politically incorrect thing.

He and his GF (two up) and myself and my wife (two up) were headed home, minding our own business when one $h1thead pulled up and bluelighted us and then called for backup. They finally let us go when they discovered that we would not back down on the fact that the LEDs are not an infraction - yes we had done research before installing them.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:23 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

While XTrooper wouldn't have a problem here, I know that anyone not current LEO or retired (or card carrying member of the clan) would definitely be "stopped" and likely "ticketed" for displaying blue lights front or rear here in NJ because they are reserved for Volunteer Emergency vehicles. At night, those same blue lights will be an active billboard seen from far away and who needs that hassle...

Old 03-25-2009, 06:25 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior

FWIW, I carry a copy of PA's MV statute regarding blue lights on motorcycles in my saddlebag just in case I have to educate someone on the side of the road.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:34 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior

Also, if blue lights or dark tint on your car, etc are legal in your state and your vehicle is registered in your home state, when you are traveling out-of-state, local law enforcement in the states you are passing through don't have the legal authority to ticket you for them because aren't legal in their own venue. For example, Florida residents who drive up to New Jersey with heavy tint on the front side windows of their cars (illegal on NJ-registered cars), don't have to pull over to the side of the road when they hit the NJ state line and scrap off the tint. It is legal for them to travel through NJ with the tint on their FL-registered cars because it's legal in FL. This falls under Article IV, Section 1 of the U.S. Constitution, commonly known as the "full faith and credit" clause.

This doesn't mean you won't get a ticket for it from someone who doesn't know any better (or doesn't care), but it wouldn't be right or legal if you did. If fought, it would eventually be thrown out.

Last edited by XTrooper3936; 03-25-2009 at 06:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Blue lights on back of RK?