Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kury ISO Grips throttle side sloppy on '09 TBW Bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 07:08 AM
ghostflamed
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Kury ISO Grips throttle side sloppy on '09 TBW Bikes?

I recently installed the ubiquitous Kuryakyn ISO grips on my 2009 Road Glide with throttle by wire. The install was straightforward and went off w/o a hitch. I have noticed now however in the last two weeks of riding the bike that I have maybe an 1/8 of an inch or so of "slop" laterally on the throttle side grip. By laterally I mean the grip will move back and forth sideways on the bars. I have checked and re-checked all my fasteners and I know the TBW sensor on the very end of the bar engaged with the grip like it should because operation of the throttle works just fine. I called Kury tech support and the guy I spoke with simply said "our tolerances here at Kury are not as tight as the Moco's so you should expect some slop." Um, excuse me, but WTF kind of answer is that?

Anyone else with this situation? While it's not the biggest deal in the world I can feel the grip slipping back and forth sideways when I ride (especially over bumps, washboard ripples, etc.) I'm a little less than thrilled with the sensation.

Thanks for any help or insight.

Curt

Old 04-07-2009, 07:16 AM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine were dealer installed and I don't have that issue on my 09 Ultra.

I'd check with your local HD dealer and ask if they had that issue with any other installs.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:26 AM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostflamed
Um, excuse me, but WTF kind of answer is that?
Sounds to me that he's telling you that his product is a POS versus other possibilities that are out there.

My guess is something isn't installed right. I don't like the ISO grips, but I know a lot of people love them. Did you follow the instructions to the letter?

Old 04-07-2009, 07:28 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,758 Likes on 6,896 Posts

I have to laugh because I did the same exact thing and the fix was so simple that I felt stupid.

The whole control (switch housing) on the handle bar will move left to right and you simply have to loosen the screws and pull it left until you take up the slack and tighten the screws back.

It simply slipped right toward the end of the handle bars when you had the screws loose and you did not realize it.

You will love those grips.

Hope this helps out.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:31 AM
patsfan
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you loosen your switch housing that holds the grip's lip and move it forward slightly to take out the slop?
No issues with my Iso's at all.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:44 AM
uweldit
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First of all, good for you on doing it yourself! Hopefully it will give others encouragement to DIY as well.

I had the same problem but took the slop out by moving the switch housing toward the center side of the handlebars. It fixed it.

The *ss at Kury that gave you that answer should be fired.

Last edited by uweldit; 04-07-2009 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:53 AM
Airborne06
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
I have to laugh because I did the same exact thing and the fix was so simple that I felt stupid.

The whole control (switch housing) on the handle bar will move left to right and you simply have to loosen the screws and pull it left until you take up the slack and tighten the screws back.

It simply slipped right toward the end of the handle bars when you had the screws loose and you did not realize it.

You will love those grips.

Hope this helps out.
Same here...easy fix.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:59 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

mine is fine too.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:23 AM
ghostflamed
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys. Sounds like an easy fix. I'll try to move that housing in tonight when I get home from work. I appreciate all the quick feedback.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:45 PM
cap5369
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bksmoky
Mine were dealer installed and I don't have that issue on my 09 Ultra.

I'd check with your local HD dealer and ask if they had that issue with any other installs.
Same here dealer installed and no issues. I hope you get it worked out, keep us updated.

Quick Reply: Kury ISO Grips throttle side sloppy on '09 TBW Bikes?