Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Giong to build a Custom Bagger and got ???"S

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 04:18 PM
BLK08ROCKERC
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giong to build a Custom Bagger and got ???"S

Ok here is the deal I have finished modding my Rocker because I have decided I want/need a bagger.

I have been loooking at the Street Glide because I want a black motor and have no need for a tourpack. My plans for the bike are to black it out(forks, primary, controls, lights, rocker covers, ect..). I am then planning on painting it a metallic lime green/yellow pearl color(kinda hard to explain). The color looks way better than I descibed it!!

I also plan to powder coat the rear wheel and buy a 21 contrast cut for the front, air ride suspension, and other stuff.

Ok hopefully you can kinda see the direction I want to go.

My questions are:
1. Who makes the best/cheapest bag extensions(prefer quality over price but cheaper is nice!)
2. Who makes some good BLACK true dual exhaust?
3. Do you think it will look funny with the rear wheel black and the front wheel a aftermarket contrast cut?

4.(This is the big one) Is it worth the extra money to buy a 09 because of the new frame or just save the money and buy a used 07-08??

Thanks for any help. I know I'm asking alot, but I'm trying to get my ducks in a row berfore I start.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:21 PM
BLK08ROCKERC
Road Captain

Oh here is pic of my RockerName:  002.jpg
Views: 1437
Size:  103.7 KB

Old 04-21-2009, 04:23 PM
chuck2000RK
Road Captain

your rocker looks way better with the seat change.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:34 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you gonna ride it or look at it?

If you ride it are you going to ride it hard?

If you are going to ride it and ride it hard then get the 09. Knowing the frame will never wobble is a great thing. Scraping a footboard at 85 mph on the new frame is possible . You wouldnt dare do on the old frame.

However if you are building it to look at (and looking at your list of mods I think this is the case) then the earlier models have more stuff available for them, you will have more options.

Oh, and chuck is right about the rocker seat.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:40 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I found a easter egg that color. subscribe to american bagger and get some great ideas

Last edited by leohd; 04-21-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:46 PM
BLK08ROCKERC
Road Captain

Originally Posted by kingkingking
Are you gonna ride it or look at it?

If you ride it are you going to ride it hard?

If you are going to ride it and ride it hard then get the 09. Knowing the frame will never wobble is a great thing. Scraping a footboard at 85 mph on the new frame is possible . You wouldnt dare do on the old frame.

However if you are building it to look at (and looking at your list of mods I think this is the case) then the earlier models have more stuff available for them, you will have more options.

Oh, and chuck is right about the rocker seat.
Thanks for the compliments on the Rocker!!

I do plan on putting some miles on this bike. I also plan on riding pretty hard at times not often but would like to confident when I do. Is their any wahy to make the older bikes not wobble or is 09 time for me??

Old 04-21-2009, 04:46 PM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master

Originally Posted by BLK08ROCKERC

My questions are:
1. Who makes the best/cheapest bag extensions(prefer quality over price but cheaper is nice!)
2. Who makes some good BLACK true dual exhaust?
3. Do you think it will look funny with the rear wheel black and the front wheel a aftermarket contrast cut?

4.(This is the big one) Is it worth the extra money to buy a 09 because of the new frame or just save the money and buy a used 07-08??

Thanks for any help. I know I'm asking alot, but I'm trying to get my ducks in a row berfore I start.
good luck and nice bike...
all answers are of my own opinion:
1. i made my own bags (true extended), but really wish i would have bought them, to save time and effort, but mine came out good... anyhow, i dont rec. "cheap", but i feel that the baddad stuff is worth the money...

2. i love my bassani exhaust and the headers/pipes come in black too

3. i think the wheels should "match", but on a bagger with extended bags, you really dont see the back all that much, unless the bags are off (for maintenance etc.) but i guess as long as the front rims' lip is black, i think youll be fine...

4. i dont personally think a new bike is nec. better, being that you are thinking about dumping money into making it your own unique style... if i would have bought a bike off an auction, tore the motor out, put a 113+ SS motor/procharged, and all the bells, whistles/paint, etc. i would be in the bike less money...
with good connections, 13,000+ish for the motor/charger, 5,000 ish for the bike, paint sponsored (but even at 3000ish), misc /powder/etc. $2000ish, total would be around 24,000 ish (give or take a few thousand), maybe 30000 total for a totally awesome bike...
i am not saying you could do this for the same price, but i dont see ya spending over 30,000 being conservative... even less if you didnt want the charger/ss combo, hell you could run a 88, with a 95 kit, done right, for cheaper...

take a new bike for instance, i dont know what they are going for, but lets say around 24,000 for a 09 streetglide... add you wheel/paint/extended bags/etc, probably looking at the same 30 or more

just my humble opinion...

Name:  myglide1.jpg
Views: 1392
Size:  71.6 KB

Name:  myglide4.jpg
Views: 1577
Size:  71.7 KB

Last edited by Gtsdesigns; 04-21-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:47 PM
BLK08ROCKERC
Road Captain

Originally Posted by leohd
I found a easter egg that color. subscribe to american bagger and get some grerat ideas
Well don't eat it I may need it when I mix paint!!! LOL!!

Old 04-21-2009, 05:03 PM
zoomie67
Tourer

There's noting wrong with the older models. I grind the boards on my 2000 Road Glide all the time. Most of the issues people have with the dreaded bagger wobble are maintenance and alignment. If all the bushings, motor mounts, spindles and head bearings are properly setup and maintained you should have minimal wobble issues.

I wouldn't worry about the rear wheel so much, with the extended bags you really won't see it.

These places have some nice bagger stuff:

http://www.milwaukeebagger.com/

http://www.gatorboxes.net/

http://www.baddad.com/

http://www.kustomcycles.com/

http://www.eglidegoodies.com/

http://www.fatbaggers.com/

Old 04-21-2009, 05:16 PM
Old Bones
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arlen Ness big bags