Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear shock air pressure

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 04:39 AM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Canuck
small amount of air at pressure. those shock pumps do not let any air out when you put on/off. checking with an ordinary gauge will. good luck

pre/post 2009 (I think) shocks had different max pressure 20 vs. 50. know which one you have.
Then when you get tired of those air shocks get a good set of Ohlins custom fitted for you by Howard
My 2007 manual shows recommended psi up to 35.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:54 AM
Lethal Weapon
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

Those shock pumps do not let any air out when you put on/off. checking with an ordinary gauge will........when you get tired of those air shocks get a good set of Ohlins custom fitted for you by Howard
That's just another reason why I made the custom air fitting & gauge block... I know for sure what air pressure I have in the shocks.
.... maybe some day I will upgrade to a set of Ohlins, or....???....

But for right now, I'm happy with the results and accurate air pressure in the OEM shocks now... and this mod saved some $$ to allow the paint job and more Chrome this past winter.

Attached Thumbnails Rear shock air pressure-photo282.jpg   Rear shock air pressure-photo465.jpg  
Old 08-28-2017, 02:06 AM
tkuligowski
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Call me cheap but I haven't found an issue with using a bicycle pump. I bought a cheap one off eBay for 4 bucks and it fills the shocks just fine. I use a cheap tire pressure guage to check the psi. I know there is a bit of loss so I just put in a couple extra psi before I check. I guess the only draw back is you don't know exactly where it's at as it's a bit of trial and error. The Harley one is $50 at my dealer. I think this will work fine for awhile.

I'm a little disappointed in the suspension on my 16 RGU. Front and back. I dread the bumps that are unavoidable as much as I did with my Softail.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:31 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by tkuligowski
Call me cheap but I haven't found an issue with using a bicycle pump. I bought a cheap one off eBay for 4 bucks and it fills the shocks just fine. I use a cheap tire pressure guage to check the psi. I know there is a bit of loss so I just put in a couple extra psi before I check. I guess the only draw back is you don't know exactly where it's at as it's a bit of trial and error. The Harley one is $50 at my dealer. I think this will work fine for awhile.

I'm a little disappointed in the suspension on my 16 RGU. Front and back. I dread the bumps that are unavoidable as much as I did with my Softail.
​​​​​​​You're cheap. But are you easy too?

Old 08-28-2017, 10:44 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Originally Posted by Veekness
​​​​​​​You're cheap. But are you easy too?
beat me to it.
also wondering why post that you are too cheap to use a proper air pump designed for the shocks.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:05 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Seems like there are always pumps for sale in the classifieds here.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:04 AM
boomer16
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought this pump 2 years ago on Amazon. Small, lightweight and works perfectly and is always on my bike.

Amazon Amazon

Old 09-02-2017, 10:28 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,752 Likes on 6,896 Posts

Glad I don't have to mess with air anymore. Get on, ride & enjoy like never before.

Old 09-02-2017, 05:02 PM
tkuligowski
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

beat me to it.
also wondering why post that you are too cheap to use a proper air pump designed for the shocks.
What is the point if what I'm using works just fine? I don't see the point in buying a glorified $50 bicycle pump unless you really want it dialed down to the exact PSI. I posted because someone said that a bicycle pump doesn't work when in my case it does work. I prefer to make my dollar go as far as it can.

Old 09-02-2017, 05:34 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

What is the point if what I'm using works just fine? I don't see the point in buying a glorified $50 bicycle pump unless you really want it dialed down to the exact PSI. I posted because someone said that a bicycle pump doesn't work when in my case it does work. I prefer to make my dollar go as far as it can.
if I have to explain, well you know. look at my sig.

Quick Reply: Rear shock air pressure