Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning about Kuryakyn Girder brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 05:35 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Warning about Kuryakyn Girder brake pedal

Just an FYI:

If you have an 09 Ultra with stock exhaust or have stock exhaust and have added lowers to your bagger plan on taking one or the other off to install the Kuryakyn 1071 Girder brake pedal. I am posting this because it says nothing about this in the Kury description or instructions and figured I would save someone the hassle if they didn't want to go through the trouble. Kury was obviously no help on the phone either. All I got is you may have to take one or the other off. Thanks genius. That was pretty damn helpful.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:44 AM
Jonny Cannon
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it like the billet girder-style brake pedal from HD? I think their instructions said you'd have to do the same thing. However, I was able to do it without removing either one. It was a bit of a b***h lying under the bike with a set of needle-nose pliers to get the little cotter pin out, but it was manageable.

Cannon

Old 05-02-2009, 09:38 AM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Wanna sell it?

Old 05-02-2009, 01:30 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Cannon: no this is more like the lower profile style available thru EZ Brake and Softbrake. It wasn't a matter of the pin. It was the tabs that the linkage fit it. Trying to rotate it forward the opposite way the stock one comes off it hits the exhaust. Trying to go forward back doesn't work because of the lowers.

DrP: Got a refund from M&M Cycle. Mark didn't have to but he took it back because Kuryakyn dropped the ball on the description and instructions.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:46 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonny Cannon
Is it like the billet girder-style brake pedal from HD? I think their instructions said you'd have to do the same thing. However, I was able to do it without removing either one. It was a bit of a b***h lying under the bike with a set of needle-nose pliers to get the little cotter pin out, but it was manageable.

Cannon
I hear you....that and not being able to see it clearly with my Bifocals on made for some nice #####words...If you have "sausage" fingers, it's really got to be a bitch....

Old 05-02-2009, 03:21 PM
langhammx
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake pedal install

I went through a few choice words, installing my HD brake lever on an '08 FLHX. To make matters worse, I changed it out for a PM unit, when I put on the 2" forward footboard brackets. Some things just aren't easy, especially with "sausage fingers: and 45 year old eyes...

Old 04-22-2011, 06:49 PM
jasperwoody1
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Me Understand this More

I am hoping you can help me understand how the heck you got this 1071 on the bike. I had the lowers off, footboard off, and I can not see that the one I have fits. Kury is no f'n help at all. I believe the wrong one was in the package stating 1071. Can you tell me if the one you put on had an offset in the brake pedal, similar to the stock HD pedal that gets you around the exhaust? The 1071 sent to me is straight with no offset, and for the life of me, there is no getting around that exhaust from what I can tell. Kury was suppose to get back to me after I sent them pics, which I did, but they have not responded since giving me any guidance. I am really kind of pissed about the damn thing, because it is the first Kury product I have ever bought. Now I know why I pay for the HD product. Thanks in advance if you are able to give me some advice,

Old 04-22-2011, 07:16 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

jasperwoody1,

welcome to the maddness known as HDF. you might get an answer faster if you were to PM the OP.... seeing as this thread is 2 yrs old.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:26 PM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

When i installed mine I did have to remove the front head pipe or actuqly losened up the exhaust foange bolts and unbolted the transmission atachment flange to get it to move enough to install.